Melbourne Storm Cheats

Ricky Nixon has reviled the AFL will attampt to blow the NRL out of the water by enticing players like Billy Slater to the code. Could be very interesting if a few of the NRL boys switch codes, im sure there would be a few clubs throwing big dollars around at these guys including the new Gold Coast team and Greater Western Sydney.

Doubt anything will come of it, Rugby Union has more of a chance to secure them as the $$$$$ much higher then afl.

So, Brain Waldran was at St Kilda football club back in the 80-90's, does that mean St kilda will have to give all their wooden spoons back for those years?

Ricky Nixon has reviled the AFL will attampt to blow the NRL out of the water by enticing players like Billy Slater to the code. Could be very interesting if a few of the NRL boys switch codes, im sure there would be a few clubs throwing big dollars around at these guys including the new Gold Coast team and Greater Western Sydney.

Of course afl and union would pay big money for some of the storm players but i doubt they would leave league typical of the afl but

this greater western sydney team will die a slow death no one in western sydney gives a damn about afl

Doubt anything will come of it, Rugby Union has more of a chance to secure them as the $$$$$ much higher then afl.

So, Brain Waldran was at St Kilda football club back in the 80-90's, does that mean St kilda will have to give all their wooden spoons back for those years?

:D:lol::D:lol: i like it :D:lol::D:lol::lol::D:lol::D:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

I find it amusing that "NRL fans" are loving this. No true NRL fan should be loving this, they should be massively disappointed. This isnt just a slight on the Melbourne Storm, it is an enormous slight on the entire NRL, and just more fodder for the other codes to stick the boot in. AFL, ARU, A-league, hell probably even the NBL and Netball are the ones laughing.

Instead of just jumping in with the media hysteria, sensationalism, over reaction and stringing up the players, wait for it to officially come out, IF it does. And put yourself in their shoes. If they have their manager saying we have a contract saying the Storm can renovate your house, its been NRL approved, Board has approved it and its all legal, would you question it?? Of course you wouldnt. If you got offered a boat and told it was part of third party agreement approved by the NRL, would you say "No, not until I clear it myself". No you wouldnt, no one would. Youd start looking at Rods and maybe a new esky. The players play NRL, and leave all that off field crap to their agents and the people in the office upstairs. My old job every couple of weeks the head storeman would give me $50 cash saying it was a bonus, but dont tell the office sales staff cos their bonus is taxed. You beauty I thought!!! Loved it!! Then when he left the $50 stopped, so after a while I plucked up the nerve and went and spoke to the boss about "where my bonus was??" The boss looked puzzled, asking "What Bonus??" Long story short, the other dude was selling the cable drums out the back for cash, around $250-$300 back to the cable companies and not telling anyone. Point is, I got $50 every couple of weeks, told it was all ok by the guy in charge of me, so why would I make a big deal of it.

Ray "Im a massive mouth piece" Hadlee and Mark "I shouldnt be allowed to open my mouth on TV" Geyer on last weeks Matty Johns show **** on about how the Storm are gone, their finished all over. Geyer, in a real surprise, spoke without thinking for most of his segment, finishing off by saying, "he couldnt give a stuff about the storm and doesnt care if they fold" Spoke like a true Sydney Rugby League supporter. Then in the next breath he says we are the most resilient sport, the most resilient code and the best football product in Australia" and yet he wants out of Melbourne, Australias sporting capital. He keeps spruiking on about going to Perth, another AFL dominated city which would be putting the code back 12 years ago to when they first started trying down in Melbourne. Local AFL crowds in Perth draw crowds of 3000-4000 people. NRL would be fighting an up hill battle. Webcke, the most respected man possibly ever in League, sat there with a level head and asked for calm, and for the dust to settle before we cast dispersions about the club and its future. Choosing not to listen, Paul Kent, who ya can just see Webcke wants to pile drive into next week, said Bellamy knew about it and would be gone by the end of the week. Sydney media creamed their Jeans over this.

The NRL have bought this on themselves. They put an unreasonably small price on the heads of their players, their stars, the ones who make people want to watch the game. Whats the biggest contract Jarryd Hayne can get, $400,000-$500,000?? Ive been watching league for 20 odd years, and that Jarryd Hayne is something else, I dont like Parra, but I watch thier games just to see him. Karmichael Hunt is going to get more than that in a sport where no one is sure hes any good or not. The guy is the reason Eels have had record membership and sponsorship deals this year. Can he profit from any of that?? No. There would be companies lining up to west of Penrith to sign him up and give him some money, but Gallop and the NRL says no. If the players were allowed access to the full third party agreements they should have access to, we wouldnt lose half our players. When I lived in Cairns, Johnathan Thurston was god. The man was Mayor of all Nth Qld, if he were allowed full third party agreements, he would never leave the cowboys. A one team town, a player like that, he could write his own cheques. Canberra cant hold down their juniors cos no one wants to live in cold old canberra. How many local business in Canberra would love to give some more money to a player to help him stay. Same with Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast.

The NRL needs to release more money to the clubs to keep our best and most talented people here. Tuqiri is still a ridiculously talented footballer, but his best years were wasted standing on the wing in the ARU thinking, "wow, a million bucks a year to do nothing". Tahu, Sailor, Barnes and now possibly Slater all the same. Not to mention the guys going to England. Up here in PNG, League is HUGE and every night on TV there is a Super League game from England. Did you know that no one even goes to those games?? Crowds look abismal. And yet guys are looking at that, as a better and more financially viable option to playing here in Oz. Imagine seeing Slater, Smith, Inglis or Hoffman running around in the English Super League, that would be the biggest insult of all.

Gallop and his crew, typically, have responded to all this by taking the hard line stance in announcing the punishments, then quickly burying their head til the smoke clears. To borrow Phil Gould's line, "Dont tell me what you cant do, tell me what you CAN DO!!! All we hear about it what you cant do, lets see some CAN" What was Gallops response, "No Phil, what your asking is impossible" That caught us all by surprise :roll: AFL is a go forward association, with a very Driven CEO in Andrew Demetriou. Hes not perfect, but he sees an opportunity to be aggressive and goes for it. NRL are standing still and doing not much different than what they have done in years gone by, Gallop seems to go by the motto if it aint broke, dont fix it. David, my blind neighbour can see the NRL is broke and needs some serious tune ups.

How many clubs made money last year, I think it was three or four (happy to be corrected). Someone else in this thread mentioned cronulla going broke with a bit of a laugh, dont see the point in thinking thats funny either. Just a further slight on the game, how does a professional club in this day and age go broke?? Granted AFL have the funding that the NRL will never have, the end of this year their media rights deal will top a billion dollars. Money the NRL could only dream of. Although, I think if Gallop did get a hold of that much money, he would probably put it between his mattress at home, you know, just to be safe.

And yes, in case you hadnt picked it, Im a proud Storm supporter. I was there for the 99 GF, the 06 GF and 07 Semi Final and GF. In no way am I condoning what happened, I like everyone else think it was wrong what Waldron did and deserved the punishment handed down. But Im Not about to give up on them now.

He keeps spruiking on about going to Perth, another AFL dominated city which would be putting the code back 12 years ago to when they first started trying down in Melbourne. Local AFL crowds in Perth draw crowds of 3000-4000 people. NRL would be fighting an up hill battle.

Mate I'm a Storm supporter too and I don't want to see them go, but I have to disagree about NRL in Perth.

Last season's game between the Rabbitohs and the Storm attracted more than 15,000 fans and the game in June this year is looking likely to attract a similar crowd.

I'm pretty sure an NRL team in Perth would work these days and now having a rectangular stadium (ME Bank Stadium) will definitely help.

Very well said midnight show. fantastic post. This is bloody terrible for rugby league. Im a mad roosters fan (and NSW fan) and I was devestated when karmichael hunt and dallas johnson left the nrl. 2 of the gutsiet players ive seen and hunt with all the skill in the world as well, now gone. Not to mention all the others the nrl has lost.

How could you not love karmichael getting the ball and charging back into the defence 3 times as hard as most front rowers, or dropping his shoulder and smashing blokes twice his size. He played hard and tough, and now I have to watch him play bloody aerial ping pong.

All these people cheering and carrying on, do you think its going to be good watching billy slatter play for the melbourne rebels in that boring as hell super 15 or whatever it is now, do you think its going to be good watching inglis play french rugby or cameron smith playing in the english super league. No. Disaster.

NRL needs to fix this. Pay the players better. allowing them to take every cent of 3rd party agreements would be a good start.

Thanks for the well considered and articulated post :thumbsup:

I love a long post so will respond in kind, sorry for the upcoming rave.

I find it amusing that "NRL fans" are loving this. No true NRL fan should be loving this, they should be massively disappointed. This isn't just a slight on the Melbourne Storm, it is an enormous slight on the entire NRL, and just more fodder for the other codes to stick the boot in. AFL, ARU, A-league, hell probably even the NBL and Netball are the ones laughing.

I don't really see any true NRL fans loving this situation, there have only been a couple of negative posts in this thread and I believe most fans are massively disappointed. It is a simple fact that there is always raw emotion when a story like this breaks and a minority of people express themselves without first putting their brain into gear, especially if you consider if the side they support has just lost a GF to a club that has openly admitted they systematically cheated and if not caught had intended to continue doing so, to me that human outpouring of emotion is natural. Unfortunately as you suggest sensationalism sells, and the media will keep whipping the horse until nothing is left. I think you will find it is the AFL supporters and the AFL media who are loving it and beating it up.

Instead of just jumping in with the media hysteria, sensationalism, over reaction and stringing up the players, wait for it to officially come out, IF it does. And put yourself in their shoes. If they have their manager saying we have a contract saying the Storm can renovate your house, its been NRL approved, Board has approved it and its all legal, would you question it?? Of course you wouldn't. If you got offered a boat and told it was part of third party agreement approved by the NRL, would you say "No, not until I clear it myself". No you wouldn't, no one would. Youd start looking at Rods and maybe a new esky. The players play NRL, and leave all that off field crap to their agents and the people in the office upstairs.

I agree the players are not to blame it is the clubs board, owners, administrators and player agents who should fall on their swords and take responsibility, but I still stand by my post that I find it incredibly hard to believe that the players did not know something was not above board......why aren't all the other talented and equally gifted players in the NRL getting boats and payments like me for doing nothing..... Would you not ask yourself why have I signed two contract, for vastly different amounts in less than a week or why am I getting money that has no formal contract attached to it?

My old job every couple of weeks the head storeman would give me $50 cash saying it was a bonus, but dont tell the office sales staff cos their bonus is taxed. You beauty I thought!!! Loved it!! Then when he left the $50 stopped, so after a while I plucked up the nerve and went and spoke to the boss about "where my bonus was??" The boss looked puzzled, asking "What Bonus??" Long story short, the other dude was selling the cable drums out the back for cash, around $250-$300 back to the cable companies and not telling anyone. Point is, I got $50 every couple of weeks, told it was all ok by the guy in charge of me, so why would I make a big deal of it.

I would take the $50 as well but seriously did you never consider why are others paying tax and not you and that maybe your bonus was not legitimate as far as I am aware the ATO requires all income or fringe benefits to be declared annually.

Ray "Im a massive mouth piece" Hadlee and Mark "I shouldnt be allowed to open my mouth on TV" Geyer on last weeks Matty Johns show **** on about how the Storm are gone, their finished all over. Geyer, in a real surprise, spoke without thinking for most of his segment, finishing off by saying, "he couldnt give a stuff about the storm and doesnt care if they fold" Spoke like a true Sydney Rugby League supporter. Then in the next breath he says we are the most resilient sport, the most resilient code and the best football product in Australia" and yet he wants out of Melbourne, Australias sporting capital.

Ray Hadlee is a ****er ...Mark Geyer, I like him, but he himself will readily admit he is not the sharpest tool in the shed and again as you suggest sensationalism sells, if they all took a sensible approach it would make "Controversy Corner" look like a love in.

He keeps spruiking on about going to Perth, another AFL dominated city which would be putting the code back 12 years ago to when they first started trying down in Melbourne. Local AFL crowds in Perth draw crowds of 3000-4000 people. NRL would be fighting an up hill battle. Webcke, the most respected man possibly ever in League, sat there with a level head and asked for calm, and for the dust to settle before we cast dispersions about the club and its future. Choosing not to listen, Paul Kent, who ya can just see Webcke wants to pile drive into next week, said Bellamy knew about it and would be gone by the end of the week. Sydney media creamed their Jeans over this.

Webke is right lets wait and see but also the NRL does need to expand back into Perth, the amount of Eastern sea-boarders, English ex pats and South Africans living there would ensure it would be a viable long term concern. I'm even sure the people of Perth would love an opportunity to beat the Victorians at something else as well.

The NRL have bought this on themselves. They put an unreasonably small price on the heads of their players, their stars, the ones who make people want to watch the game. Whats the biggest contract Jarryd Hayne can get, $400,000-$500,000?? Ive been watching league for 20 odd years, and that Jarryd Hayne is something else, I dont like Parra, but I watch thier games just to see him. Karmichael Hunt is going to get more than that in a sport where no one is sure hes any good or not. The guy is the reason Eels have had record membership and sponsorship deals this year. Can he profit from any of that?? No. There would be companies lining up to west of Penrith to sign him up and give him some money, but Gallop and the NRL says no. If the players were allowed access to the full third party agreements they should have access to, we wouldnt lose half our players. When I lived in Cairns, Johnathan Thurston was god. The man was Mayor of all Nth Qld, if he were allowed full third party agreements, he would never leave the cowboys. A one team town, a player like that, he could write his own cheques. Canberra cant hold down their juniors cos no one wants to live in cold old canberra. How many local business in Canberra would love to give some more money to a player to help him stay. Same with Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast.

I don't agree with the salary cap it is a restriction of trade however for the sake of the game the salary cap is a necessary evil. At this time the cap is as much about protecting the clubs from themselves as anything.....Super League almost sent all clubs into bankruptcy and was not all that long ago (it took until 2003 to see any growth back in the NRL).......most clubs were only saved by the media giants themselves, to me the perfect example of this is Melbourne themselves, as a business concern they have been running at a loss that would send most public companies into receivership, yet they were still trying to overspend to buy a premiership or two. The cap has many flaws and as widely discussed it needs to consider "long service" as in the corporate world to protect the assets the clubs have developed.

Finally like you I believe the players should be entitled to seek ANY 3rd party agreement they can get, I'm just not convinced the money is out there. I bet the Players association will argue this long and hard when the current agreement ends at the end of the season.

The NRL needs to release more money to the clubs to keep our best and most talented people here. Tuqiri is still a ridiculously talented footballer, but his best years were wasted standing on the wing in the ARU thinking, "wow, a million bucks a year to do nothing". Tahu, Sailor, Barnes and now possibly Slater all the same. Not to mention the guys going to England. Up here in PNG, League is HUGE and every night on TV there is a Super League game from England. Did you know that no one even goes to those games?? Crowds look abismal.

And yet guys are looking at that, as a better and more financially viable option to playing here in Oz. Imagine seeing Slater, Smith, Inglis or Hoffman running around in the English Super League, that would be the biggest insult of all.

The UK Super League has a salary cap as well, it is attractive because (until recently) the GBP was worth 3 x the AUD, the TV audience is massive it is a competition spread over 3 countries and has international appeal, they are now starting to more seriously restrict imports and as the pound weakens so will the attraction of going to England except as a retirement package.

Gallop and his crew, typically, have responded to all this by taking the hard line stance in announcing the punishments, then quickly burying their head til the smoke clears. To borrow Phil Gould's line, "Dont tell me what you cant do, tell me what you CAN DO!!! All we hear about it what you cant do, lets see some CAN" What was Gallops response, "No Phil, what your asking is impossible" That caught us all by surprise :roll: AFL is a go forward association, with a very Driven CEO in Andrew Demetriou. Hes not perfect, but he sees an opportunity to be aggressive and goes for it. NRL are standing still and doing not much different than what they have done in years gone by, Gallop seems to go by the motto if it aint broke, dont fix it. David, my blind neighbour can see the NRL is broke and needs some serious tune ups.

It would be much easier for Demetriou to be seen as a good administrator given the financial position of the AFL and the structure of the stakeholders. Gallop has stabilised rugby league, yes it is about time to grow again and with an independant commission almost coming to fruition, rugby league will soon have it's time in the sun. This should bring about greater profit sharing as well, can you imagine how hard it would be to please all the current stakeholders in the NRL - ARL, NSWRL, QRL, CRL, News limited, PBL, Sky Television New Zealand, NZRL, Foxtel, Telstra etc etc etc

How many clubs made money last year, I think it was three or four (happy to be corrected). Someone else in this thread mentioned cronulla going broke with a bit of a laugh, dont see the point in thinking thats funny either. Just a further slight on the game, how does a professional club in this day and age go broke?? Granted AFL have the funding that the NRL will never have, the end of this year their media rights deal will top a billion dollars. Money the NRL could only dream of. Although, I think if Gallop did get a hold of that much money, he would probably put it between his mattress at home, you know, just to be safe.

I understand it was 4 Souths, Broncos, Titans and Cowboys. The NSW NRL clubs were far to reliant for years on the grants from their Leagues Club's unfortunately the State governments at least in NSW impressed a very unfair poker machine tax on the clubs that greatly diminished their own revenues and hence the size of the grants passed onto their associated League team.

And yes, in case you hadnt picked it, Im a proud Storm supporter. I was there for the 99 GF, the 06 GF and 07 Semi Final and GF. In no way am I condoning what happened, I like everyone else think it was wrong what Waldron did and deserved the punishment handed down. But Im Not about to give up on them now.

I'm not a Storm supporter, but neither am I a Storm despiser... for the love of the game I hope they thrive and come 2nd to the Dragons for years to come.

Cheers
Ross

He keeps spruiking on about going to Perth, another AFL dominated city which would be putting the code back 12 years ago to when they first started trying down in Melbourne. Local AFL crowds in Perth draw crowds of 3000-4000 people. NRL would be fighting an up hill battle.

What games have you been watching? WAFL maybe
There was 38000 at the freo v rich game on the wkend and typically perth crowds are among the best of the non victorian teams in terms of crowds.

Looking at another 30 point plus drubbing at the hands of the STORM, David (the dropkick) Gallop's pathetic decisions regarding the cap breach never cease to amaze me.

I cannot agree with taking away the two premierships/minor premierships.Going overboard i think..

But the storm should have been banned for the year.
Back to the point, is DG now going to review his poor decison, to let them continue playing?????
This bloke should walk away and let someone who knows football take the BIG JOB

How many more teams are going to cop a flogging, and possibly lose players/ miss top 8 etc.

Just my rant
Rey

well said rey. but considering its ongoing as they found another 150,000 today. i would keeep him there but i think he needs to mover over to someone like gould. i reckon he would do tremendous things for the game.

Looking at another 30 point plus drubbing at the hands of the STORM, David (the dropkick) Gallop's pathetic decisions regarding the cap breach never cease to amaze me.

I cannot agree with taking away the two premierships/minor premierships.Going overboard i think..

Back to the point, is DG now going to review his poor decison, to let them continue playing?????

How many more teams are going to cop a flogging, and possibly lose players/ miss top 8 etc.

Just my rant
Rey

HA!!! Yeh right, and admit he and his idiots got it wrong?? Yeh right!! Gallop is more ignorant and up himself that Gus GOuld. Hes NEVER made a mistake.

KEEP SMASHING THEM STORM!!!

Just my rant
Rey

i agree, i don't think they factored in/care about the effect of letting them continue to play and affect the result of the season. if they have no points, stripped of premierships etc, they should be unable to play until next season or as determined.

i agree, i don't think they factored in/care about the effect of letting them continue to play and affect the result of the season. if they have no points, stripped of premierships etc, they should be unable to play until next season or as determined.

Classic response from Hoffman the other night on the Footy show.

Fatty - "what does it mean to you that youve been stripped of the two premierships??"

Hoffman - "I got two premiership rings, two GF DVD's and a tattoo on my backside that says I won them"

HA!!! :D:D

It's not as simple of kicking them out, same as they didn't kick out the bulldogs when they cheated, the League has a contract to supply FOX, CH9 etc with 8 games a week, taking out 1 team will create a legal minefield, the sponsor can refuse to pay as the NRL has not kept up it part of the contract, worse case scenario is to suspend the league for the season (yes at the most extreme case).. Really what did you want to the NRL to do, they have done the only thing possible... Instead of blaming them , blame Melb for their cheating ways...

It's not as simple of kicking them out, same as they didn't kick out the bulldogs when they cheated, the League has a contract to supply FOX, CH9 etc with 8 games a week, taking out 1 team will create a legal minefield, the sponsor can refuse to pay as the NRL has not kept up it part of the contract, worse case scenario is to suspend the league for the season (yes at the most extreme case).. Really what did you want to the NRL to do, they have done the only thing possible... Instead of blaming them , blame Melb for their cheating ways...

yeah i agree it's not that simple, politics comes into it, lawyers will have a field day, but with all the clauses in the contracts it would be interesting seeing what is in the fine print. If Gallop says the line in the sand was drawn with the Bulldogs, hence the punishment, then there should be more in there regrding the affects on the rest of the league.

well said rey. but considering its ongoing as they found another 150,000 today. i would keeep him there but i think he needs to mover over to someone like gould. i reckon he would do tremendous things for the game.

Phil Gould.....No no no no no.

I do agree with the above comments, And i love watching the storm play,

The dogs cheated YES, and were busted with about 3 rounds remaining, Not sure if it changed any teams hopes of finishing in top 8 etc.

And they probably should have been kicked out, but the nrl tried to make an example of them and i believed it only made the players stronger. As it seems to have with the storm.

Maybe clubs that loose players to injury etc should bite the hands that feed them and SUE the nrl ......

I still cant see any sort of outcome that will please everyone.

Yes but what the NRL are doing isnt punishing Brain Waldron and the tossers responsible, its punishing the innocent parties and most importanly the fans. Its like me catching my four year for stealing my chocolate biscuits out of the fridge and giving them to the three year old, then turning around and smacking the three year old while the four year walks away laughing.

The NRL made their decision in thirty minutes minus the board, meaning it was Gallop and three or four others in a room saying "WHAT DO WE DO!!! WHAT DO WE DO!!!" Then they made their announcement, and he has since backed that up by saying, "we had to make a strong stand immediately" If they announced that there were breaches and said the full punishments would be decided in the next day or two, then Im sure people would understand that given the magnitudeof the situation, it would take alittle while to sort out exaclty what needs to be done. But to say there is nothing else they could have done, and if indeed there is nothing else they could have done, that shows what a poor state the NRL is in thanks to the unimaginitive administration.

Back
Top Bottom