Part 3 - 12 slam dunk titles and not much else mailday

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Part 2 left off with Fred Jones claiming the dunk title off of Jason Richardson in 2004....

The final part of this mailday series sees Josh Smith claiming the 2005 dunk title before Nate Robinson dominated the dunk contest taking three titles in 2006, 2009 and 2010, interrupted only by Gerald Green in 2007 and the almighty Dwight in 2008.

Nate Robinson 2006, 2009 and 2010 dunk champ - no other team or personal NBA accolades.
An inspirational dunker for sure, but sorry to say, imo, one of the most overrated dunkers in the history of the event!
05-06 UD Reflections - Future Reflections RC /1499 - Reflections is definitely up there in terms of my favourite looking sets, that mirror reflection is pretty unique.
SCN_0457.jpg

2005-06 SP Signature Edition RC / 499 - the pic makes the card, just screams Nate Robinson! ...and almost an ebay 1/1!

SCN_0456.jpg

2006-07 SP Game Used Edition - Authentic Fabrics Gold / 100 - card is kind of meh, but the gold versions aren't as easy to come across as you'd might think....

SCN_0458.jpg

Gerald Green - 2007 Dunk Champ - No other NBA team or personal accoldaes. For those of you who don't know, Gerald basically had half of his ring finger amputated as a kid which means he has trouble palming the ball and thus relies on cuffing the ball, two handed dunks or windmills...

View: https://youtu.be/ltYS-hmNcOg?feature=shared

2005-06 Upper Deck Trilogy Rookie Premiere RC /999 - I'm a sucker for anything acetate, these are chunky boys more like the 'glass' cards. Really nice in hand.
SCN_0425.jpg

2005-06 SP Signature Edition - Scripts for Success Auto / 200 - as some of the more hardcore gamers amongst us might say, 'G G' indeed!

SCN_0426.jpg

Josh Smith 2005 NBA Dunk Champ - and all rookie team berth and made the 09-10 NBA All Defensive 2nd Team
Josh SMith's Dunks - 2005 Slam Dunk Championship
2012-13 Panini Spirit of the Game - bit of a trowaway insert, but just liked the picture of J-Smoove taking flight in the Hawks jersey, which certainly captures the spirit of the game.
SCN_0434.jpg

2007-08 Topps Stadium Club 1st Day Issue /1999 - Sign me up for any first day issue featuring any sort of holofoil. Love the concept, love the finish and love the pic of him cocking that arm back for a big finish on the home court. Nicer, cleaner looking card than many more expenseive modern ones imo.

SCN_0431.jpg

2004-05 Upper Deck Trilogy RC - Rookie Premiere Level 2 /999 - Again, chunky acetate and sweet loking cards...definitely among my favourite looking RCs.

SCN_0432.jpg

2006-07 Topps Triple Threads Emerald /199 - nothing that special about these, but the rainbow base set chase does appeal to the crazy desire to start and not finish and other quest!

SCN_0433.jpg

2012-13 Totally Certified Memorabilia - Totally Red Prime /49 (game worn) - If only he was wearing a red Hawks uniform.... Thick card and a thicker patch, NOICE!
SCN_0435.jpg

2004-05 SP Signature Edition Authentic Signatures - Rookie Auto (on card) - So nice I bought it twice, actually I probably have 4 or 5 of thse now - lol Should do a group shot one of these days. Wow - they look flawles in hand but the ol' scanner really butchered that second card!

SCN_0430.jpg

SCN_0438.jpg

2008-09 Upper Deck Radiance - Inked auto /99 - Radiance is a great looking productand Inked has some really nice potential conceptually, but this card doesn't seem to mesh. Still, not goign to complain about an auto /99.

SCN_0436.jpg

2004-05 SP Authentic - Rookie Authentics Auto /1499 - well designed an incorproates that big on card auto perfectly.

SCN_0437.jpg

Well that'll doozer for another mailday, nothing high end, but a bit of variety for the mailday thread. It;s always godo to see what people have lyign about, so thanks for having a look, a read and big props if you happen to leave a comment too!

That Josh Smith First Day Issue is a really cool image. Great perspective.

Was one of Robinson's slam dunk titles when they had unlimited attempts and he missed like 20 in a row?

That Josh Smith First Day Issue is a really cool image. Great perspective.

Was one of Robinson's slam dunk titles when they had unlimited attempts and he missed like 20 in a row?

Yeah, the older first day issues are even better. In the 2006 final against Iggy when one of Nate's dunk attempts was shorted and took over 3 minutes!

Robinson's first dunk was an interpretation of a couple standbys, an off-the-backboard pass into a through the legs windmill. The problem with Robinson's flush was the volume of attempts it took to get there -- almost three minutes transpired between him picking the ball up and his finally completed attempt.

Tanner Steidel (President, Ja Rule Fan Club): Where was the time-limit/attempt maximum rule? People like to be conspiracy theorists about every outcome ever in the NFL, but nobody takes a second glance to this atrocity? The rule conveniently disappears the year the one guy who can benefit the most from it being gone participates?

Kyle Neubeck (Dunk Contest Truther): Setting aside how many times he got to keep trying, how did he not lose points for scaling it back halfway through his 50 attempts? He ended up nixing the backboard pass and just going through the legs. Was I supposed to be impressed that he was unable to finish what he started?

Carey: I almost expected one of the seven footers to come out and lift him up to the rim so he could dunk it. Come to think of it, had this happened, I would have supported Nate's victory.

Levin: Nate tried this dunk and failed 133 times in a row. I'm surprised a TNT network executive didn't force them into a commercial break like on RAW during a Juventud Guerrera/Funaki match after a particularly devastating frogsplash to both parties. The entire run of the television show LOST came and went.

Carey: When Nate kept missing, the reaction felt like when you're trying to encourage a small child. I think people were fooled by Nate's size into thinking that he was actually a child, and thus needed nothing but positive feedback.

Magic Johnson (Proving Carey's point): We're all happy for him that he made it, he would have been crushed if he didn't make it.

These guys would have not stood a chance against Nique!
Some classic cards mate.

Dunk contest severely duiluted in the last however many years.... Bring back Nique and his double clutch!

That Robinson rundown all sounds terrifyingly familiar!

I'm not a big All Star weekend guy but I stumbled on the slam dunk competition at the time. It definitely confirmed why these gimmicks aren't for me.

I will never understand how you don't get a zero if you miss your dunk. Can 41 year old me go out there and fail to get the ball to the front of the rim for days, then finally climb on a chair and dunk it but still get a score?!

That Robinson rundown all sounds terrifyingly familiar!

I'm not a big All Star weekend guy but I stumbled on the slam dunk competition at the time. It definitely confirmed why these gimmicks aren't for me.

I will never understand how you don't get a zero if you miss your dunk. Can 41 year old me go out there and fail to get the ball to the front of the rim for days, then finally climb on a chair and dunk it but still get a score?!
Dunk contest has been pretty sub-par for quite a while now, thankfully they removed that 'unlimited attempts' rule I guess it;s there to encourage innovation, but surely you figure out in advance if you can make that dunk or not before you step in front of an all-star audience!

love the first day issue! my all time favourite set!! unreal pic too!!
I'm a sucker for those too, it's a great concept which I'm not sure isn't a staple in some sort of release, I guess there's first off the line stuff, but that's just not the same...

Have to say 93-94 did it the best though - the O.Gs always do!

Frequent-Flyers---Scottie-Pippen.jpg

Watching back those Nate highlights I never remember realising the rings were so flexible even when I guy of our size dunks on them! I wonder if they are loosened for the dunk comp?

In any case - I totally disagree with your thought on him being the most overrated in that comps history!!!!!!!!! *GASP*

I'll go back through the years and get back to you with some names when I have time :lol:

Watching back those Nate highlights I never remember realising the rings were so flexible even when I guy of our size dunks on them! I wonder if they are loosened for the dunk comp?

In any case - I totally disagree with your thought on him being the most overrated in that comps history!!!!!!!!! *GASP*

I'll go back through the years and get back to you with some names when I have time :lol:
Wait, what? You can or used to be able to dunk on a 10ft ring? I mean, proper throwdowns. Not dunking on a 9.5 ft sagging ring scenario....

Take out his height and his dunks look rather average for a dunk contest champ that is.

Wait, what? You can or used to be able to dunk on a 10ft ring? I mean, proper throwdowns. Not dunking on a 9.5 ft sagging ring scenario....

Take out his height and his dunks look rather average for a dunk contest champ that is.

No I couldn't unfortunately! I just mean how impressive it is being around the same height as the average man but he's alley dunking over Spud Webb!!!!

You can't just say "if you took the height out" cause that's half the big deal - there's some sweet dunks in there - you can only compete against what the comp gives you! :hearts:

I'm a sucker for those too, it's a great concept which I'm not sure isn't a staple in some sort of release, I guess there's first off the line stuff, but that's just not the same...

Have to say 93-94 did it the best though - the O.Gs always do!

Frequent-Flyers---Scottie-Pippen.jpg
i remember as a kid i cut up a few of those to sick on my pippens. its always in the back of my mind to try and complete a 1DI set...jordan in it is the killer though

i remember as a kid i cut up a few of those to sick on my pippens. its always in the back of my mind to try and complete a 1DI set...jordan in it is the killer though
The Jordan always is! Some great inserts out there which get no hobby love because there's no Jordan or it was a bad rookie crop etc.

First Day Issue completed set would be absolutely boss level stuff, next challenge after you collect every single Pippen perhaps. :)

Back
Top Bottom