Latest PC additions

Dodgydave

OzCardTrader
Real Name
David Dawkins
I have been pretty slack in adding to the Olajuwon PC recently — or at least slack in getting cards back to New Zealand.
So, it came as a pleasant surprise when the biggest Olajuwon collector in NZ — that I know of at least — reached out with an offer of some cards. (Hi, Yogi, :wave: I have no idea if you are a member here or not!)

I ended up spending more than I probably should have on cards — Panini and game used — that I don't normally chase, but I had not ever expected to add over 100 cards to my PC in one go and especially not to get them from inside NZ.

Without any more mucking around here we go, starting with Panini and other newer cards in the first post for a change. There will be way too much commentary so if that doesn't appeal just look at the (mediocre) pictures and skip to the end!

HOAUMomentum.jpg
HOAUDominion.jpg
HOAUUltimate.jpg

2012-13 Panini Momentum Autograph /35 — one of the great things about this lot is I got to discover some Panini sets I did not know existed. This was one of them and I don't mind it, a nice clean looking card.
2018-19 Panini Dominion With Authority /49 — another set I did not know existed.
2010-11 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection /75 — I am normally a fan of Ultimate Collection but must admit this one doesn't quite do it for me. Not sure if it is the black and white, the college uni or a combination of the two

HOGUNTCollossal.jpg
HOGUNoir.jpg
HOGUNTDual.jpg

2014-15 Panini National Treasures Colossal Jersey /99
2016-17 Panini Noir Jumbo Materials /99
2013-14 Panini National Treasures Dual Game Gear /49

HOGUImmaculate.jpg
HOGUTimeless25.jpg

2017-18 Panini Immaculate Collection The Standard /49
2010-11 Panini Timeless Treasures Championship Season Prime /25

I like the clean, clear designs on the first four here, not so convinced on the Timeless Treasures.

HOGUInducted.jpg

2012-13 Panini Preferred Inducted /75 — I will admit I was angling to swap this for another auto as never been a fan of booklets. Once I received it I will say I quite like it when it is closed — now there is a back-handed compliment! I am bothered by the randomness of the players. Could they not be better linked? I have lots of ideas how this could have been made a lot cooler.

HOGUUD.jpg
HOGUDrexler.jpg

2007-08 Upper Deck Artifacts Triple Artifacts /50 — I really like artifacts as a set, but cards can be pricey.
2009-10 Upper Deck vs Materials — I now have all four Olajuwon Dual Game Materials and both vs Materials from 2009-10 Upper Deck. I need to start working on the respective Gold and Bronze versions now.
2015-16 Gala Double Feature Memorabilia /60 and Purple /40
2016-17 Panini Aficionado Dual Authentics /299 —
along with the Gala these were again Panini releases I was not aware of, I do appreciate any Olajuwon/Drexler cards and Olajuwon/Shaq is never bad either!

HOGUUltimate.jpg

2005-06 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Ultimate Game Jersey /75 —
the swatch in this one is unfortunately coming detached. I need to figure out what to do here. Since I plan on keeping this I would like to try and stretch the material back across and somehow glue, but have no idea how. Any ideas appreciated.

HOGU49.jpg
HOGU99.jpg
HOGU149+.jpg

2018 Sportkings Single Memorabilia Red /50
2012-13 Panini Intrigue Top Flight Unis /49
2011-12 Panini Limited Retired Numbers Materials /49
2014-15 Panini Prestige True Colours /99
2012-13 Panini Timeless Treasures Treasured Threads /99
2009-10 Panini National Treasures Century Materials /99
2013-14 Panini Crusage Quest Materials /99
2015-16 Panini Limited Decade of Dominance /149
2010-11 Panini Gold Standard Gold RIngs Materials /299
2013-14 Panini Elite Throwback Threads
2010-11 Panini Gold Standard Golden Anniversary Materials /149
2010-11 Panini Gold Standard Golden Age Materials /299
2014-15 Panini Select On Hallowed Ground /149

Not my favourite assortment of cards ever purchased but the Gold Standards are alright and I like the "On Hallowed Ground" name for a Hall of Fame themed card.

HORoundball.jpg
HOSelect.jpg

2017-18 Panini Crown Royale Rounball Royalty /99 Red /75 — this is my favourite Panini insert set and I already had the Blue /25. I would love to complete the "rainbow" but with the Green /5 and Black /1 left that is doubtful to ever happen.
2014-15 Panini Select Prizms Purple Die Cut /99, Light Blue Die Cut /199, Blue and Silver — I considered going for a "rainbow" here too as I already have a few, but checking prices on COMC I don't think I will bother.

HOMirrors.jpg
HO49.jpg
HO74-99.jpg

2016-17 Panini Totally Certified Calling Cards Mirror /25
2016-17 Panini Prestige Prestegious Pioneers Rainbow /25 —
I think the Mirror cards are quite under priced compared to similar /25 parallels.
2020-21 Panini Court Kings Points in the Paint Violet /49
2010-11 Panini Limited Decade of Dominance Silver Spotlight /49
2014-15 Panini Spectra /75
2014-15 Panini Gold Standard Gold /79
2013-14 Panini TitaniumDraft Year /84 —
another Panini release I had no idea about!

HO99.jpg
HO149+.jpg

Too many to list here but the left pic is /99 or /100 on the right /149+.

HOGUImmaculate.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone else get a massive version of the Immaculate GU at the end? I don't know how it got there and have tried deleting it but it wants to stay...

Part 2 incoming...

HOLuminescent.jpg
HOPhonecard.jpg

1997-98 Stadium Club Luminescent — Here we go with the '90s, all that over-the-top-die-cut-shiny goodness!
1996-97 Scoreboard $100 phone card — I haven't seen a lot of the $100 versions come up and they have usually been quite expensive, so nice to add.

HOInserts.jpg
HORefractors.jpg

1995-96 Stadium Club Intercontinental Members Only — pleased to add this as I initially had not realised this was a Australia/NZ only release. Years ago I could have picked one up for a decent price but figured they were quite common, so passed and hadn't run into one since.
1999-00 Topps Gallery Gallery Exhibits — this was not an insert set I was unfamiliar with and there are some really cool designs, unfortunately the Olajuwon is not one of the best!
1996-97 Bowman's Best Best Shots Refractor
1995-96 Finest Refractor —
yep, these are both refractors, my photography just sucks...

HOUDAOversized.jpg
HOoddballs.jpg

1993-94 Upper Deck Authenticated Collector Series 8x11 /2500 — this might be my favourite card in the whole lot. It is huge, the bottom right corner is the standard size version from 1993-94 Upper Deck.
1992-93 Topps Archive Master Photo Exchange
1995-96 Jam Session Die Cut
1995 Pro Stamps
1993-94 Pro Mags Checklist

Plus 3 x Chinese playing cards I am unable to specifically identify and whatever that die cut stickerish thing is!

HO90s.jpg
HOPanini.jpg

And the left overs. The '90s ones on the left have a few promos and oddballs and the Collector's Choice are Portuguese which I have struggled to track down.

Finally, just for a laugh this throw in. It would be the best card of the lot if the was a shred of hope it was legit...

Some interesting reading on the demise of Scoreboard for those who made it this far.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=317325
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1444102

HOAUTSC.jpg

Thanks all for looking

Last edited:
Wowsers - that's a mega dreamy mailday! Soem of the ore obscure Panini sets are actually some of the better releases imo - never really understood why Prizm was so popular.

Never seen that Intercontinental before or that massive 8 x 11 - what a monster! Love the booklets, at least they're all loosely aligned with the HOF theme so I;d be alright with all of those names. But yes, that particular TT patch version is butt ugly as are those collegiate balck and white ultimate releases - haven;t met too many collectors who rate those particular sets highly.

...and the die cut stickerish thing is probably just a sticker! lol Have seen plenty of NBA players with those sort of releases, nomally they're quite small though.

Wowsers - that's a mega dreamy mailday! Soem of the ore obscure Panini sets are actually some of the better releases imo - never really understood why Prizm was so popular.

Never seen that Intercontinental before or that massive 8 x 11 - what a monster! Love the booklets, at least they're all loosely aligned with the HOF theme so I;d be alright with all of those names. But yes, that particular TT patch version is butt ugly as are those collegiate balck and white ultimate releases - haven;t met too many collectors who rate those particular sets highly.

...and the die cut stickerish thing is probably just a sticker! lol Have seen plenty of NBA players with those sort of releases, nomally they're quite small though.

I watched a box break of the Momentum (I'm sure from years ago) the cards looked very nice but I hope the chap liked his Johan Petro, Greivis Vasquez and Beno Udrih autos! Some of those checklists are brutal.

The booklet definitely has some nice names and there is obviously the HOF theme as you mention and is nearly very good, but would it be much cooler if it was something like

Ewing paired with Monroe as Knicks
Olajuwon and Drexler are obviously linked in multiple ways
Robinson would be ideal, but you could put Malone in a Spurs jersey to pair with Gervin
Then you do have two Nuggets but if you made one Mutombo then you would have HOF centres paired with HOF guards who played for the same teams — so much better!

I watched a box break of the Momentum (I'm sure from years ago) the cards looked very nice but I hope the chap liked his Johan Petro, Greivis Vasquez and Beno Udrih autos! Some of those checklists are brutal.

The booklet definitely has some nice names and there is obviously the HOF theme as you mention and is nearly very good, but would it be much cooler if it was something like

Ewing paired with Monroe as Knicks
Olajuwon and Drexler are obviously linked in multiple ways
Robinson would be ideal, but you could put Malone in a Spurs jersey to pair with Gervin
Then you do have two Nuggets but if you made one Mutombo then you would have HOF centres paired with HOF guards who played for the same teams — so much better!
I hear you, veryhard to hit anything decent from low end releases. For Momentum they increased the autos per box but always hard to hit something decent. Same with products like Chronicles or anything retail these days.I actually quite like some of the Chronicles designs actually.

Just be glad it wasn;t one of thoe Centers or Forwards booklets in which the most random of random names appear. nfortunately I don;t think they deisgn the card and find the swatches to match, it's more a case of what swatches do we have and how can we possibly dump them into one booklet? I have a Celtics booklet with plenty the all-time greats on it - Bird, Mchale, Parish, Cowens etc and for soem unknown reason they;ve stuck Jared Sullinger on there too. They must have a ton of his stuff lying around!

I hear you, veryhard to hit anything decent from low end releases. For Momentum they increased the autos per box but always hard to hit something decent. Same with products like Chronicles or anything retail these days.I actually quite like some of the Chronicles designs actually.

Just be glad it wasn;t one of thoe Centers or Forwards booklets in which the most random of random names appear. nfortunately I don;t think they deisgn the card and find the swatches to match, it's more a case of what swatches do we have and how can we possibly dump them into one booklet? I have a Celtics booklet with plenty the all-time greats on it - Bird, Mchale, Parish, Cowens etc and for soem unknown reason they;ve stuck Jared Sullinger on there too. They must have a ton of his stuff lying around!

Is/was Momentum a low-end release? It was 15 cards per pack one pack per box and remaining boxes seem to retail for $450+ USD. Obviously no idea what it coast when released given I had never heard of it. There were 5 autos per pack from memory and that breaks other autos were from memory a die-cut David Thompson /5 — which is a really cool card that I would enjoy but he's not exactly the biggest name out there for most collectors — and a Antwan Jamison.

Was Panini worried about swatch origin/authenticity and linking it to specific players in 2012/13? My poor eyes struggle to read the back of the booklet "guarantee" as it is in tiny cursive writing but it says something about "game worn material" but does not say player worn?

I think now from what I have read on authenticity descriptions they don't even pretend the material relates to a specific player?

damn what a dream haul!! what makes you think the TSC auto isnt legit???

Thanks. Essentially, it boils down to roughly; when the company went under a former Scoreboard employee swiped the image for the "certificate of authenticity" and started using it to try and sell backdoored items from the bankruptcy sale, or just plain fake autos on random cards. From memory, most of the info is in the below two threads, though I have not gone back and read them. Somewhere, Ken Goldin — who by all accounts was in no way involved — asks the logical question in relation to these non-Scoreboard autographed and "authenticated" cards; "why would we get players to sign other brands cards when we had thousands of our own signed cards already?".

In terms of the actual card, it is certainly a '94-95 Stadium Club base card and I have no idea as to the "fakeness" of the autos — I honestly have not even tried to compare them to others. However, the "certificate" is just a simple bit of paper that anyone could run off on a home printer, then laminated. It is not card-stock.

The short of it, at least from what I read, is that anything from the mid-90s onward, with this sort of certificate with Ken's signature is likely fake. Earlier '90s certificates signed by Ken's father, Paul, are generally legitimate.

It would be awesome if the card was legitimate, but doubt it is.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=317325
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1444102

A special collection

Thanks Sam. It's (slowly) growing!

Back
Top Bottom