The Official 2008/09 Player movement/Trade thread

I'm stoked.....Maggette is a stud! We lose B Diddy and Pietrus(and I'm sure there will be one or two more) so we have some more cap space to go> Man I would go off my tree if we picked up J Smooth. I've always loved him and he would be the perfect player for Nellie ball. Happy to get Magette.....always been a fan of his.

I'm stoked.....Maggette is a stud! We lose B Diddy and Pietrus(and I'm sure there will be one or two more) so we have some more cap space to go> Man I would go off my tree if we picked up J Smooth. I've always loved him and he would be the perfect player for Nellie ball. Happy to get Magette.....always been a fan of his.

Interesting. The Warrior fans on RealGM are going off their nut at Chris Mullin and Nellie. Most of them hate the move.

Signing Maggette makes it hard to get Smith now though. Less cap room to spend. To get a RFA away from another team you usually need to overspend, as the incumbent team can match the offer. The new cap figure has just been announced, so it will be interesting how much they have left on their cap to be able to make an offer for Smith. They still need a PG too. With the signing of Maggette is Steven Jackson now also on the trade block with Al Harrington?

i was reading the other day Philly would have to move a player to get the space for Brand. so bye Carney & Booth.

its a good move for the 76ers. takes the weight off Dalembert's shoulders as the main big man there.

Interesting. The Warrior fans on RealGM are going off their nut at Chris Mullin and Nellie. Most of them hate the move.

Signing Maggette makes it hard to get Smith now though. Less cap room to spend. To get a RFA away from another team you usually need to overspend, as the incumbent team can match the offer. The new cap figure has just been announced, so it will be interesting how much they have left on their cap to be able to make an offer for Smith. They still need a PG too. With the signing of Maggette is Steven Jackson now also on the trade block with Al Harrington?

Well the thing is, I haven't heard josh Smith's name associated with the Warriors at all (doesn't mean he hasn't, I just haven't heard). Petrius was always out the door first chance he got, so that was no surprise. Nothing Nellie or Mullin could do about Baron walking. I would be reluctant to offer Baron a long term contract too with his history. We tried to get Brand and lost out. You don't want to get cute and try and hold out for the "BIG" name......and then get left with no date for the prom. Magette showed he is a quality scorer, which is what we're all about. He can score down low as well as off the dribble so it gives us a nice option. plus Nellie has said he wants to play the young guys. I'd love to see Wright and Belinelli get a lot more minutes, even if it meant we lost for a while. The both are both really talented

You don't want to get cute and try and hold out for the "BIG" name......and then get left with no date for the prom.

Thats true, but you also said....

plus Nellie has said he wants to play the young guys. I'd love to see Wright and Belinelli get a lot more minutes, even if it meant we lost for a while. The both are both really talented

The deal that I have heard for Maggette is 5 years $50mill. Not sure if they are team options at the end if any. So quite possibly, GSW are committed to this contract for the next 5 years. If the intention is to play the youngs guys, develop them, even at the cost of losing, then I'm not sure why commit this money. Even if GSW didnt get another (R)FA, they would have the cap space for next season, and the young guys would still have developed.

I feel that they have done this, with the intent to do another trade later on. To use either Maggette or Stephen Jackson as trade bait for a PG. No doubt Maggette is a great scorer (not as if they needed another one :) ), I just wonder who is going to distribute the ball to all of these scorers...any idea what Mullin and Nellie have in mind to run the point?

Just read Matt Barnes is gone too, hence a need for another swingman. I think with the loss of Pietrus and Barnes, Maggette makes sense.

I feel that they have done this, with the intent to do another trade later on. To use either Maggette or Stephen Jackson as trade bait for a PG. No doubt Maggette is a great scorer (not as if they needed another one :) ), I just wonder who is going to distribute the ball to all of these scorers...any idea what Mullin and Nellie have in mind to run the point?

I think you're on the money there.......a trade is coming no doubt. i don't think it will be Magette though. We definitely need a PG though. Be interesting to see what the next move is

Just read Matt Barnes is gone too, hence a need for another swingman. I think with the loss of Pietrus and Barnes, Maggette makes sense.

OK fair enough. Both Maggette and Stephen Jackson are not really shy people, they tend to say whats on their mind. :D Which one is going to be coming off the bench, and will they be happy about it? Could be another reason to trade Jackson and have Azubuike (sp?) back up Maggette.

I love Jacko's D, but I think without Baron he may be tough to keep contained. I think Jackson is in serious jeopardy. I love Azubuike, so I'd be cool to see him get a bigger role than in the past. Jack has been great for us though.....so they better get a good pg for him

Plus the way it stands now, they only have 1 point guard. they could run Monta, magette, jacko, AL & Biedrins. They have to make a move, cause it's not like they have a player they are grooming for the PG spot.

Yup.... gotta say I was a bit surprised with maggette signing seeing as it creates a logjam @ SF for them...... Jackson seemed like one of their untouchable players last season, always coming up big for them when needed & was only when he came back is when they started to turn around their 0-5 starting record.

Thought about them putting Ellis at the point but really don't think they would wanna move him from the 2 considering how well he plays there & would wanna keep him doing that...... will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Yup.... gotta say I was a bit surprised with maggette signing seeing as it creates a logjam @ SF for them...... Jackson seemed like one of their untouchable players last season, always coming up big for them when needed & was only when he came back is when they started to turn around their 0-5 starting record.

Thought about them putting Ellis at the point but really don't think they would wanna move him from the 2 considering how well he plays there & would wanna keep him doing that...... will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Agreed, Maggette is the completely wrong player for that team. Scores and does nothing else, and is only mediocre at scoring at best even :blink: For a team that is loaded at Swingman possie and just lost it's star leader, signing a mediocre scorer to create a logjam = stupid.

Agreed, Maggette is the completely wrong player for that team. Scores and does nothing else, and is only mediocre at scoring at best even :blink: For a team that is loaded at Swingman possie and just lost it's star leader, signing a mediocre scorer to create a logjam = stupid.

Since when is 22 points a game mediocre? That's what Magette averaged last year. As for a log jam, please explain. Right now we have 2 swingman.....Azubuike & Jackson (don't think Belinelli can be classed as a swingman). Al Harrington has always played big for us, so he can't be considered in this debate. When we run a system that revolves around swingman (we had 4 last year), saying we have a log jam is ridiculous.

When we drafted this year, it was based around the fact that Baron was coming back, so we drafted big. We definitely need a PG, but who's available? Best PGs available right now are Telfair, Jason Williams and Arroyo.....hardly worth getting excited about. We have a couple of decent big men and we drafted big aswell. So what were we going to do? There is a lot of interest for J Smooth, so big chance we would have lost out on him anyways. Clearly the only way we will get a PG is to trade. You have to have pieces to trade, and then players to cover what you trade. Since most of the big names have already committed to teams, there was only about 3-4 decent players left. Would I have loved to get J Smooth instead......no question. But like I said......he may never have been in the equation cause he didn't wanna play for the Warriors. You improve your situation with the options you have, and I think the Warriors did that. Now they have more trade options to get that PG.

Since when is 22 points a game mediocre? That's what Magette averaged last year. As for a log jam, please explain. Right now we have 2 swingman.....Azubuike & Jackson (don't think Belinelli can be classed as a swingman). Al Harrington has always played big for us, so he can't be considered in this debate. When we run a system that revolves around swingman (we had 4 last year), saying we have a log jam is ridiculous.

When we drafted this year, it was based around the fact that Baron was coming back, so we drafted big. We definitely need a PG, but who's available? Best PGs available right now are Telfair, Jason Williams and Arroyo.....hardly worth getting excited about. We have a couple of decent big men and we drafted big aswell. So what were we going to do? There is a lot of interest for J Smooth, so big chance we would have lost out on him anyways. Clearly the only way we will get a PG is to trade. You have to have pieces to trade, and then players to cover what you trade. Since most of the big names have already committed to teams, there was only about 3-4 decent players left. Would I have loved to get J Smooth instead......no question. But like I said......he may never have been in the equation cause he didn't wanna play for the Warriors. You improve your situation with the options you have, and I think the Warriors did that. Now they have more trade options to get that PG.

Anyone in the NBA can average 22 points a game while there is no one else on the team who can score and you're allowed to jack up all the shots you want. Unless Golden State are looking to make him the leading man, he'll be 15ppg would be my guess and bring nothing else to the team. He has a lacklustre outside shot and will be sharing time with Jackson the team Captain.

But hey, if you want to pay $10MIL a season for a player competing for time with your team Captain and who'll only bring 15ppg and a couple of cheap defensive rebounds, do it. :blink:

Anyone in the NBA can average 22 points a game while there is no one else on the team who can score and you're allowed to jack up all the shots you want. Unless Golden State are looking to make him the leading man, he'll be 15ppg would be my guess and bring nothing else to the team. He has a lacklustre outside shot and will be sharing time with Jackson the team Captain.

But hey, if you want to pay $10MIL a season for a player competing for time with your team Captain and who'll only bring 15ppg and a couple of cheap defensive rebounds, do it. :blink:

Not everyone in the league can score 22 points a game. Take a look at Celtics pre Garnett and Wolves right now. Big Al who is all star calibre, and would play well anywhere is the only player to do anything (other than Pierce). Magette has a 16 ppg career average, and grabbed 6 boards a game last year. It wasn't that long ago that Clippers made the playoffs, and Maggette was still solid. There's plenty that can have one good season, but not many who can maintain an average that high.

Jackson came to GS with an average of about 13 ppg, and last year scored 20ppg and put up all star numbers. When you play in a high octane offense, as long as you know how to put the ball in the hole you'll score well. He doesn't have to be a great 3 point shooter either, cause we have a bunch already. We don't have a lot of strong players who can post up and muscle to the hoop.

I'm not the #1 Maggette fan, but he is better than what's being said. Like Blackwind said, I'm sure there was more to it and the move was made with a view to trade. Either Jackson, Magette or Al goes. If that yields a PG than it makes sense. Who else should they have gotten?

Not everyone in the league can score 22 points a game. Take a look at Celtics pre Garnett and Wolves right now. Big Al who is all star calibre, and would play well anywhere is the only player to do anything (other than Pierce). Magette has a 16 ppg career average, and grabbed 6 boards a game last year. It wasn't that long ago that Clippers made the playoffs, and Maggette was still solid. There's plenty that can have one good season, but not many who can maintain an average that high.

Jackson came to GS with an average of about 13 ppg, and last year scored 20ppg and put up all star numbers. When you play in a high octane offense, as long as you know how to put the ball in the hole you'll score well. He doesn't have to be a great 3 point shooter either, cause we have a bunch already. We don't have a lot of strong players who can post up and muscle to the hoop.

I'm not the #1 Maggette fan, but he is better than what's being said. Like Blackwind said, I'm sure there was more to it and the move was made with a view to trade. Either Jackson, Magette or Al goes. If that yields a PG than it makes sense. Who else should they have gotten?

It was only high octane with a quality PG. So you'd better hope for that! :D

16ppg in the NBA is mediocre, especially for a only offensive player who is making 10Mil a season.

Only time will tell I guess. I'm just not a fan of Maggette's game cause it's only on 1 end.

lol, it's all good. We're one team where a one dimensional player looks like gold. Be interesting to see how sixers and warriors pan out this season, since we've made the 2 biggest moves. I don't really think it matters who the Warriors put out there, cause as long as we play small ball we're not going past the first or second round at best anyways.

NEW YORK, July 9, 2008 – The New York Knickerbockers President of Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh announced today that free agent guard Chris Duhon has been signed to a contract. As per club policy, terms of the deal will not be disclosed.

"Chris has established himself as a solid point guard in our league making him a good addition to our roster," Walsh said. "He plays hard on both ends of the floor and makes good decisions with the basketball."

Duhon, 6-1, 185-pounds, has averages of 6.9 points, 4.5 assists and 25.8 minutes in 300 career games (159 starts), all with Chicago. The 25-year-old Slidell, LA-native averaged 5.8 points, 4.0 assists and 22.6 minutes in 66 games with the Bulls last season, and has played in 21 playoff games in three different postseason appearances, averaging 4.7 points and 2.6 assists per playoff game.

"Chris will strengthen our backcourt and help us in several areas," Head Coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He is a smart player who always plays with intensity and I look forward to working with him."

Originally selected by Chicago with the 38th overall pick in the second round of the 2004 NBA Draft, Duhon played in all 82 games as a rookie in 2004-05, making 73 starts and averaged 5.9 points and 4.9 assists per game in helping the Bulls to the playoffs. He averaged career-highs of 8.7 points and 5.0 assists in his sophomore campaign in 2005-06.

Duhon enjoyed a standout career at Duke and left Durham as the only player in ACC history to finish with at least 1,000 points, 800 assists, 475 rebounds, 300 steals and 125 three-point field goals. He led the Blue Devils to a 123-21 record in his four seasons and guided Duke to two Final Four appearances and one national title in 2001. He also led the Blue Devils to three ACC championships and left school as the all-time leader in minutes and steals.

NEW YORK, July 9, 2008 – The New York Knickerbockers President of Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh announced today that free agent guard Chris Duhon has been signed to a contract. As per club policy, terms of the deal will not be disclosed.

"Chris has established himself as a solid point guard in our league making him a good addition to our roster," Walsh said. "He plays hard on both ends of the floor and makes good decisions with the basketball."

Duhon, 6-1, 185-pounds, has averages of 6.9 points, 4.5 assists and 25.8 minutes in 300 career games (159 starts), all with Chicago. The 25-year-old Slidell, LA-native averaged 5.8 points, 4.0 assists and 22.6 minutes in 66 games with the Bulls last season, and has played in 21 playoff games in three different postseason appearances, averaging 4.7 points and 2.6 assists per playoff game.

"Chris will strengthen our backcourt and help us in several areas," Head Coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He is a smart player who always plays with intensity and I look forward to working with him."

Originally selected by Chicago with the 38th overall pick in the second round of the 2004 NBA Draft, Duhon played in all 82 games as a rookie in 2004-05, making 73 starts and averaged 5.9 points and 4.9 assists per game in helping the Bulls to the playoffs. He averaged career-highs of 8.7 points and 5.0 assists in his sophomore campaign in 2005-06.

Duhon enjoyed a standout career at Duke and left Durham as the only player in ACC history to finish with at least 1,000 points, 800 assists, 475 rebounds, 300 steals and 125 three-point field goals. He led the Blue Devils to a 123-21 record in his four seasons and guided Duke to two Final Four appearances and one national title in 2001. He also led the Blue Devils to three ACC championships and left school as the all-time leader in minutes and steals.

I hope he does well there, I like his style. Now what's next for the Knicks??

The thing that makes me happy about this signing is that we picked up Duhon cheap, the Knicks have a bad history of paying massive amounts for players that don't cut it.

Not saying that Duhon can't cut it, i think he will be a solid attribute to the Knicks but we need more players booted out the door.

yeah I hear ya there. Now it's about getting those inflated contracts out the door and getting real value for $$. At least with a solid role player who can hold the fort down, you guys can clear some room.

Back
Top Bottom