The Official 2008/09 Player movement/Trade thread

From LA Times....

Elton Brand agrees to go to the 76ers
Carlos Chavez / Los Angeles Times
Elton Brand, who opted out of his contract with the Clippers, could become a teammate of center Andris Biedrins with the Golden State Warriors, although Biedrins is also a free agent.
The verbal, five-year deal is believed to be in the $80-million range. Philadelphia was the latest team to join the bidding frenzy for Brand, who opted out of his contract with the Clippers last week.

By Jonathan Abrams, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
5:40 PM PDT, July 8, 2008
Elton Brand has reached a verbal agreement to sign a multiyear contract with the Philadelphia 76ers, according to an NBA source who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on player movements.

The deal is believed to be in the $80-million range and expected to span five years.

Brand opted out of the final season of his Clippers contract last week to become a free agent. He was due $16.4 million had he stayed in the contract.

The deal cannot be finalized until the league's moratorium period ends at midnight EDT on Tuesday.

The 76ers were the latest team to join the bidding frenzy for Brand, joining the Clippers and Golden State Warriors, who have already made five-year offers for Brand, according to the sources.

The 76ers cleared salary cap space Tuesday when they traded forwards Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth and a future No. 1 pick to the Minnesota Timberwolves in a deal that has yet to be officially announced but was first reported by Yahoo.com.

Brand has not been reached for comment since he opted out of the final season of his Clippers contract last week. He flew to Washington, D.C., to meet with Falk last week and had a medical checkup with Dr. Craig Morgan in Wilmington, Del., the sources said.

Brand missed all but eight games last season with the Clippers because of a ruptured Achilles tendon.

"If somebody asked me whether he'd be healthy or had any ongoing fears, I would say no," it's not a problem, Morgan said Tuesday.

When Brand opted out of the final year of his Clippers' contract, he said Philadelphia would be one of the desirable alternatives. The move would put him back on the East Coast, where he grew up and went to college, with a team that has a strong nucleus of young players.

The Clippers' verbal contract agreement with free-agent point guard Baron Davis is not expected to be altered by Brand's decision, according to the sources.

The Clippers initially offered Brand, 29, a five-year, $70-million contract, which was expected to be the highest they could go while still signing Davis, according to NBA sources who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak about player movements.

The Clippers then boosted their offer to Brand to five years and $80 million by renouncing the rights to other players, but it wasn't enough to re-sign him. The Warriors had tendered Brand a five-year, $90-million offer.

I guess that leaves the Clippers, Warriors and Hawks for Smooves services

The sixers have one hell of a front court, plenty of fire power there... J smoove will now command a higher amount of $$$

very interesting indeed!! Gordon may be a great rook to pick up now too, as he may be B Diddy's running mate. I'd say Brand means no J Smooth in Philly, doubt they can afford him now.

J smoove will now command a higher amount of $$$

Even if he does command more money, teams need to have the capspace to sign him (except for Atlanta). The only teams that have the reasonable capspace to sign him are Clippers, Warriors and Grizzlies (this is based that the Brand signing with Philly is true).
The Grizz have the most, but they seem to be cutting back everywhere and I havent seen where they have interest in signing any big FAs (or RFAs in this case).
The Warriors are the one that I worry the most about, as they can offer a close to max offer, which is something the Hawks ownership may balk at matching.
The Clippers can offer a good deal (i think up to around 5 years $70 mill), but its something the Hawks will possibly match. The Clippers may not be attractive to Josh Smith though. A Sign and Trade maybe a possibility here. Kaman would be a good pickup for the Hawks, moving Al Horford to the 4.

If none of those teams are attractive to Josh, and the Hawks dont come up with an attractive deal either, he may just take the qualifying offer for this season and then become a FA next season.

I got a feeling we may see jsmoove with the warriors. They have the cap space, he'd fit nicely with Monta and Biendrins, Brandon wright would compliment him also...

I got a feeling we may see jsmoove with the warriors. They have the cap space, he'd fit nicely with Monta and Biendrins, Brandon wright would compliment him also...

Possibly, however they also need a PG, and already have players at the 4 in Al Harrington and Wright. Are they willing to take the risk that the fill up their cap room with another PF, and then hope they can move someone else for a PG??

That would wholeheartedly suck. If we lose Smith we head back to the lottery as far as I think.

Yes, but only if we lose him outright. If the Hawks dont want to match, they will make it look like they will, and then try and get a sign and trade going. If we can get some value back, then it may not be so bad. Especially if we can get a centre back and move Al Horford to PF.

Possibly, however they also need a PG, and already have players at the 4 in Al Harrington and Wright. Are they willing to take the risk that the fill up their cap room with another PF, and then hope they can move someone else for a PG??

They've already said they're looking at moving Al, so wouldn't surprise me if they used Wright as a back up....

They've already said they're looking at moving Al, so wouldn't surprise me if they used Wright as a back up....

Yep, I have seen that too, but by signing up Josh and using all their cap space, they then lose the flexibility to take on more money when trying to trade Al for a PG. They would have to take on equivalent money, which makes a trade for someone a little more difficult. Its a big risk. I think a PG is a pretty important piece especially in Nellie's running offense. I agree Josh would bea nice fit in that offence, but he does need someone to pass the alley-oop to him. :)

News from the Magic:

Report: Magic to Sign Pietrus to Multiyear Deal

ORLANDO, Fla., July 8 (AP) -- The Orlando Magic will sign Mickael Pietrus to a multiyear deal, Florida Today reported on its Web site Tuesday.

The deal is set to become official when the NBA's free-agent signing period opens Wednesday.

Magic general manager Otis Smith confirmed the deal to the newspaper, and it's expected that Pietrus will immediately slide into the starting shooting guard spot with Orlando, which reached the Eastern Conference semifinals this past season.

"In the Eastern Conference you had better be able to defend that position,'' Smith told the newspaper. "We think he can really help us do that.''

Pietrus averaged 7.2 points in 66 games this past season for Golden State.

Magic now have 5 shooting guards!

cya later JJ is all i can say.

Looks like Warriors will be signing Maggette - from SFgate.com....

Say Hello: Corey Maggette is heading to Oakland

From Janny Hu.

Well, so much for waiting. With Elton Brand officially out of the picture, league sources told the Chronicle that the Warriors have reached an agreement with free agent forward Corey Maggette on a five-year deal worth up to $50 million.

More to come ...

That may take them out of the Josh Smith sweepstakes, and does that mean GSW are going with Monta Ellis at the point? Or do they plan to bring Maggette off the bench (or maybe start him at the 3 and bring Stpehen Jackson off the bench)? I thought Maggette wanted to start??

Oh wow, Brand slipping in with Dalembert in the frontcourt, with a backcourt of Miller, Iggy and Green/Lou Will? Nice :D

Yeah very nice. Brand gives them a very solid inside presence. I think this possibly makes Philly a top 4 team in the East, they could do with some outside shooting at the 2 though to really exploit having Brand in the post. Whilst Iggy is a solid outside shooter, Andre Miller isnt an outside shooting threat, therefore they really need another 3pt threat at the 2.

Yeah very nice. Brand gives them a very solid inside presence. I think this possibly makes Philly a top 4 team in the East, they could do with some outside shooting at the 2 though to really exploit having Brand in the post. Whilst Iggy is a solid outside shooter, Andre Miller isnt an outside shooting threat, therefore they really need another 3pt threat at the 2.

Need ANY 3PT threat...Iggy sucks balls and Miller can't shoot outside 20ft. Lou Will might step up, and we might see Carney looking better for some open looks too cause apparently he's got a good shot on him.

Need ANY 3PT threat...Iggy sucks balls and Miller can't shoot outside 20ft. Lou Will might step up, and we might see Carney looking better for some open looks too cause apparently he's got a good shot on him.

Lou Will might, but he is undersized for a 2, therefore he'll get exploited on the defensive end, and I dont think Miller is big enough to defend the 2 either. Carney wont be helping at all, he got traded to Minnesota to create more cap space for the Brand signing.

Back
Top Bottom