The Official 2008/09 Player movement/Trade thread

"It's something every player in the NBA wants."

I beg to differ Chris! Alot of players like to win and play on good teams that are run well and arn't full of inflated contracted washed up players and lockroom cancers :D

In his scenario, its a step up!

Why would the Mavs pay so much for Diop? :blink:

The article below by ESPN's Hollinger pretty much says it all about the Diop signing.

ESPN - What other free-agent surprises can we expect this summer? - NBA

Also, the Duhon signing for the Knicks is a decent start to replace Marbury. Anyone is an upgrade over Marbury, especially a guard that looks to pass first and can play defense! It's the start of the contract shedding and trades to come. ;)

The article below by ESPN's Hollinger pretty much says it all about the Diop signing.

ESPN - What other free-agent surprises can we expect this summer? - NBA

Also, the Duhon signing for the Knicks is a decent start to replace Marbury. Anyone is an upgrade over Marbury, especially a guard that looks to pass first and can play defense! It's the start of the contract shedding and trades to come. ;)

My thoughts exact, the Knicks look like they're heading in the right direction for a change :)

The article below by ESPN's Hollinger pretty much says it all about the Diop

They know him, he works hard, has great chemistry with the rest of the team, he's worth $5M a year, he's what they need.

If you find what you need, and in this case they have, then that price is fair IMO.

They know him, he works hard, has great chemistry with the rest of the team, he's worth $5M a year, he's what they need.

If you find what you need, and in this case they have, then that price is fair IMO.
it is way too much to pay though.

At any price, Diop gives little bang for the buck on offense. In 52 games as a Mav this past season, he averaged 3.0 points per game. Ready for the punchline? It set a new career high.

$5m/season for 3ppg...
You have to be an absolute defensive monster (ie. Defensive Player of the Year) to justify the wage.

Duhon is a step in the right direction for the Knicks.
1. Get rid of Marbury as a first priority
2. Sign a new PG, nomatter how bad, provided he is not a jerk

The money is worth it for the Mavs, they can spend that on him. Gotta be better than spending $14M a year on Ben Wallace....

What other FA big (defensive) men are there out there that can offer better value right now?

The money is worth it for the Mavs, they can spend that on him. Gotta be better than spending $14M a year on Ben Wallace....

What other FA big (defensive) men are there out there that can offer better value right now?

What was Chris Wilcox looking for?

edit: Nenad Kristic would have been better value :)

What was Chris Wilcox looking for?

edit: Nenad Kristic would have been better value :)

:lol: Nenad Defensive? Wilcox Defensive? Think Wilcox is after $10-$15 MIL :blink:

It's probably a little overpaid for Diop, but I like the signing. The guys very solid big man that doesn;t want the ball much which is perfect for an offensive team like Dallas.

:lol: Nenad Defensive? Wilcox Defensive? Think Wilcox is after $10-$15 MIL :blink:

It's probably a little overpaid for Diop, but I like the signing. The guys very solid big man that doesn;t want the ball much which is perfect for an offensive team like Dallas.

Kristic still has plenty of time ahead of him... I never said that Wilcox was the best defensive player avail, just wondering what he was asking....

I still think they overpaid for Diop by a couple million a year. It's not like they were really in a bidding war with anyone. Why commit the full mid-level when you can probably split it in half and get Diop and another good bench guy.

Cuase they have a history of it, look at the last 10 years, name a decent C they've had, they've all been overpaid!! Don't even get me started on the money the saved from NASH running and spent all 60 mill + on Damp :lol:

Taz_Cardz said:
Gotta be better than spending $14M a year on Ben Wallace....

Spending 14 on wallace is probably better then spending 15 on damp and diop per season, you spend an extra 1 mill for 6 more fouls per game + TO's

-----------
On Brand surely he will not bail on the Clips, he only opted out on his contract so they could sign Baron so there is no reason he will not for fill the total agreement they had.

I heard Chris Duhon is off to the Knicks. May have been mentioned earlier,so sorry in advance if it was!!!

and

Arenas re-signs. Gilbert Arenas agreed to a six-year, $111-million deal with the Wizards, taking about $16 million less than Washington was offering to give general manager Ernie Grunfeld a chance to add more pieces.

"It's something every player in the NBA wants."

I beg to differ Chris! Alot of players like to win and play on good teams that are run well and arn't full of inflated contracted washed up players and lockroom cancers :D

D'Antoni is a players coach.....someone you want to play for. Plus Duhon was the ugly step child in Chicago. I saw him play some rippers for the Bulls, and they could never make their mind up what the heck they were doing with him. I think you will find that the Knicks will start clearing house and the guys left will be decent for the most part. I like some of the guys on their roster from last year, they were just stuck with some tools that bought everyone down. I guess only time will tell.

Looks like the sixers are serious about going after a big name, here is the latest deal they just made;

Sixers hope to clear cap room for Brand
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
14 hours, 59 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintMore From Adrian WojnarowskiPaul agrees to four-year, $68 million deal Jul 3, 2008 Landing Davis no laughing matter for Clippers Jul 2, 2008

Philadelphia 76ers forwards Rodney Carney, Calvin Booth and a future No. 1 pick have been traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves to free as much as $2 million in additional salary cap space for the Sixers to offer Elton Brand or Josh Smith, multiple league sources said.

Minnesota sends Philadelphia its $2.8 million trade exception from a 2007 deal of Mark Blount to the Miami Heat.

Carney and Booth have been told of the deal, sources said. The deal can’t be finalized until the NBA trade moratorium is lifted on Wednesday.

Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski has methodically cleared room over several months to make his franchise a major player to lure Brand or Smith. Now, the NBA’s July free agency period has been delivered a deeper drama. Stefanski’s intentions are clear: Get into the bidding with the Clippers and Warriors for Brand or make an offer to the Hawks restricted free agent, Smith, that will be too steep for Atlanta ownership to match.

Getting Carney and Booth off the cap gives the Sixers the chance to offer a starting salary of approximately $14 million a season. The Sixers won’t know the precise figure until the league announces next season’s salary cap on Tuesday.

The 76ers have the luxury of going hard after Brand, 29, until he decides on a team. Most league executives still believe he’ll return to the Clippers for a five-year, $70 million deal, which is about $20 million less than the Warriors are offering. Nevertheless, this salary dump gives the Sixers the flexibility to get into the competitive bidding for Brand.

One league executive believes Brand has delayed his decision on returning to Los Angeles with hopes that Stefanski could cut this deal and make him a comparable offer to that of the Clips. He was born and raised in upstate New York, and has been intrigued with returning to the East Coast. Should the Sixers lose out on Brand, they’ll still be in position to turn their attention back to Smith, a 22-year-old rising star.

For a cost-conscious Atlanta ownership, an offer that exceeds Philly’s original $11 million a year could be too rich for them. Still, ownership loves Smith, a hometown kid who could be on the brink of stardom. Nevertheless, the Hawks would have seven days to match Philly’s offer sheet, and should they do so, the lapsed time could cripple the Sixers’ chances of securing a star player elsewhere.

Smith, 22, visited Philadelphia on Monday and left impressed with the 76ers’ desire to secure him. Stefanski had envisioned a wildly athletic and versatile frontline that includes Smith, Andre Igoudala and Sam Dalembert. Still, Brand would give the Sixers a fierce low-post presence, toughness and leadership. Either way, it appears the Sixers have thrust themselves into the game now.

I'd rather J Smooth than Brand at this stage of proceedings. He would compliment Iggy well and give them a very athletic team, and 2 great shot blockers with Dalembert

I'd rather J Smooth than Brand at this stage of proceedings. He would compliment Iggy well and give them a very athletic team, and 2 great shot blockers with Dalembert

That's a good point, but Brand would also bring more scoring to the team. But if J smoove does end up with Philly, at least he'll be less expensive than Brand, younger and leave some $ to sign up other free agents down the track....

From another forum....

Ric Bucher was just on ESPNnews and said he'd be "shocked" if Josh Smith is back in Atlanta next season and that the chances are slim. He said that Smith does not want to return to Atlanta. And commented on his relationship with Mike Woodson. He said if Sixers don't get Brand, they'll give Smith an offer the Hawks won't match. And that if they do get Brand, the Clippers would sign Smith to be their PF.

From another forum....

The Hawks just started to look like they were able to build a team that could compete with the Best. Horford, Johnson, Smith, Bibby etc... It would be a huge step backwards for them if they lost out on him. That would then leave the question of who will fill the void, and who will they persue in the free agent market? Maybe Cmag might be able to assist to fill that void, offensively only mind you...

Back
Top Bottom