The Official 2008/09 Player movement/Trade thread

that vid was awesome!! I'm sure he just ran like 10 suicides beforehand. He did look a few pounds heavy though......and he was working up a lather. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

that vid was awesome!! I'm sure he just ran like 10 suicides beforehand. He did look a few pounds heavy though......and he was working up a lather. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Yeah he probably just finished a long workout. I was just kidding around about his fitness. I saw him play in the NBL and he's got game. :p

Marcus Camby is off to play for the Clippers. This will probably take them out of the running for any of the RFAs they were interested in (Josh Smith, Okafor, Iguodala), unless they try and do a sign and trade. From ESPN....

Sources: Nuggets agree to trade Camby to Clippers for second-round pick

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: July 15, 2008, 9:37 PM ET

The Los Angeles Clippers, exactly one week after finding out they had lost their face of the franchise, have rebounded with a significant trade acquisition.

The Clippers on Tuesday agreed to terms on a deal with the Denver Nuggets to acquire center Marcus Camby as their replacement for Elton Brand, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Clippers will only have to surrender a future second-round pick to acquire Camby, who is being jettisoned into the Clippers' salary-cap space vacated by Brand to generate payroll relief for the Nuggets.

A trade call with the league to approve the deal has been completed, sources said, clearing the way for the teams to announce the swap later Tuesday.

Camby, 34, is coming off a productive season in which he averaged 9.1 points, 13.1 rebounds and 3.61 blocks for the Nuggets, who won 50 games to claim the final playoff spot in what is regarded as the most competitive conference race in league history.

But the Nuggets have yet to advance out of the first round with their Allen Iverson-Carmelo Anthony-Camby core and, according to sources, opted to shed the remaining two years on Camby's contract (worth nearly $15 million) to create the flexibility that could allow for more changes.

The Nuggets had the league's fourth-highest payroll last season and are required to pay $13,572,079 in luxury taxes for last season by July 23.

Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

Marcus Camby is off to play for the Clippers. This will probably take them out of the running for any of the RFAs they were interested in (Josh Smith, Okafor, Iguodala), unless they try and do a sign and trade. From ESPN....

Bye Bye Denver from contention :wave: Their defence was terrible enough without removing their best big man whom averaged an astounding 3.61 blocks a game!

Thinking about the sign and trade option, perhaps with Camby in the lineup, the Clippers may really want to blow up the roster after losing Brand and Maggette, and trade Kaman for a PF possibly Josh Smith, or Emeka Okafor??

Say it was for Josh Smith, the Clippers would have the best two blockers in the game (Kaman did come third though so he isnt a slouch)...the Hawks could move Horford to his more natural position of PF and have Kaman at C.

Just a thought that came to my head....:rolleyes:

Thinking about the sign and trade option, perhaps with Camby in the lineup, the Clippers may really want to blow up the roster after losing Brand and Maggette, and trade Kaman for a PF possibly Josh Smith, or Emeka Okafor??

Say it was for Josh Smith, the Clippers would have the best two blockers in the game (Kaman did come third though so he isnt a slouch)...the Hawks could move Horford to his more natural position of PF and have Kaman at C.

Just a thought that came to my head....:rolleyes:

Agreed looks good for the Clips cause huge front court and Kaman's offensive will make up for Cambys lack. I doubt Okafor just cause that gives them 2 defensive big men which means defenders can stay home on Baron, Thornton, etc. Trade for Smith could work out very nicely for both teams IMO. You like that idea?

Agreed looks good for the Clips cause huge front court and Kaman's offensive will make up for Cambys lack. I doubt Okafor just cause that gives them 2 defensive big men which means defenders can stay home on Baron, Thornton, etc. Trade for Smith could work out very nicely for both teams IMO. You like that idea?

I would probably prefer to keep Josh Smith, he is only 22 and has a great chance to grow into an all-star. However, he still has a long way to go, and if he decided he didnt want to be back in Atlanta, then I would definitely love to have Kaman as compensation. I would love to see what Horford could do at PF.

great move by the clips and didnt really give up much, even though it will be for the short term due to camby's age... this will definitely make them one of the better defensive teams in the league: kaman & camby sensational shotblockers (6.4bpg between them in 07/08 season!!!) and baron great with steals.

have two young studs in al thornton and eric gordon and a steal in the draft in deandre jordan.

main problem and only real concern is health... kaman, baron and camby are all prone to injury but when healthy all are excellent players, so anything can happen... i hope it turns around for the clips... nice rebound though after the loss of brand AND maggette

should be an interesting season in clipperland

not sure what the nuggets are doing though??? obviously they havent been able to advance in the playoffs and continue to get beaten quite soundly when it matters most, so they are making some changes. going younger i assume and trying to shore the defensive side of things. need to get rid of ai or melo realistically (more likely melo) and get some good young defensive minded talent in return... they still have jr smith who can easily fill in as a second scoring option as he proved throughout the season and kleiza fits in well as the 3rd option... not sure if there is a great deal of method to their madness though at the moment???

we shall see

yeah i don't know why the nuggets agreed to the camby thing.......i mean the nuggets are one of the best scoring teams.....but terrbile on defence...so what do they do? they get rid of the best defender on the team? camby has lead the league in block shots for the last 3 years!.....only the second player in NBA histoy to do that...
they should have traded Melo to the pistons for Billups and Prince...

What an interesting off-season this has been so far! I have to agree that the Nuggets must be on crack and can't expect to match their record from last year without Camby while the Clippers are developing into a whole new experiment. They don't look all that bad (or that great) anymore.

Mcgrady to the Pistons. Good move i'm thinking:
Report: Tracy McGrady interested in becoming a Piston | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press
The Pistons say they're not interested in trading for Tracy McGrady. But McGrady told ESPN he would be interested in joining the Pistons.
Advertisement

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reported on ESPN late Tuesday night that he spoke with McGrady and that McGrady wouldn't mind a trade to Detroit.

Said Smith: "It's certainly not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination. It's not as if Houston and Detroit has even talked yet. But is Detroit interested? Definitely.

"Is Tracy McGrady interested? Yes he is. I spoke to Tracy McGrady earlier. His basic thing is he's very happy in Houston but he wants to win. So whatever is a winning situation for him is something he is more than willing to entertain."

Smith said McGrady "has all the faith in the world" in Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars, but "if nothing happens he's not going to sneeze at remaining in Houston with Yao Ming either."

A team source told the Free Press this week that the Pistons are not “remotely” close to a deal for Houston Rockets superstar Tracy McGrady.

Metronews.ca, which is based in Toronto, said in an Internet report — but cited no sources — that the Pistons are "making a big push for McGrady."

The Pistons source downplayed the report, saying the Rockets are just one of many teams to whom the club has spoken about potential trades.

McGrady, a 6-foot-8 forward with 11 seasons under his belt, spent his first three seasons in Toronto. He averaged 21.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and 5.9 assists last season for Houston.

Posey signs with the Hornets

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3492206"]Posey agrees to four-year deal with Hornets - NBA - ESPN[/ame]

Good move by the hornets. I thought posey was outstanding through the playoffs. Thats a pretty big hit for the Celtics though.

Am I reading this right, Clippers gave up a 2nd Round Pick for Camby???

They could have at least got say Thornton or someone, Camby has more value than that, surely!!

Playing with a True PG will really open up the Defense, and possibly allow Camby some inside scoring opportunities.

Am I reading this right, Clippers gave up a 2nd Round Pick for Camby???

Nope, thats not correct. They traded the option to swap 2nd round picks in 2010. Yep, they aren't even giving up a 2nd round pick.

They could have at least got say Thornton or someone, Camby has more value than that, surely!!

Camby may have more value, but if they want to dump salary, then they need to trade with someone that has cap room, and the only two teams that had the cap room to fit Cambys contract were the Clippers and Grizzlies. The Grizzlies are not spending anything, so really there was only one suitor, so the Clippers could name the price.

Back
Top Bottom