The Official 2008/09 Player movement/Trade thread

another nice pickup by the clips... probably got him reasonable cheap? will back up baron and is a streaky shooter

theyve done well this offseason considering the elton brand fiasco... its a completely new team and will interesting whether or not they mesh.

should be a good defensive team, camby, kaman, bdiddy and now also have plenty of offensive firepower too... kudos to the clips for moving on after the elton brand disaster :thumbsup:

The Grizz! So they're looking at a Gay/Smith 1/2? Hmmm I reckon Smith will be hoping Hawks match...cause Erk those Grizz look yucky.

The Grizz! So they're looking at a Gay/Smith 1/2? Hmmm I reckon Smith will be hoping Hawks match...cause Erk those Grizz look yucky.

and the Hawks should match. Its "only" $58 mill over 5 years, so just over $11 mill a year. Thats only just over what the Hawks were initially offering. If the Hawks do not match this offer then they are definitely the new Clippers. This is a very reasonable deal.

i think smith is sick of waiting for the hawks so he did it to hurry things up

i have no doubt the hawks will match it.

i think smith is sick of waiting for the hawks so he did it to hurry things up

i have no doubt the hawks will match it.

I agree, with Childress gone there is no way the Hawks will let Smith go.

Just stop for a second and think of the possibilities though,

In 3 years, OJ Mayo running the break on transition with Rudy Gay and Josh Smith on the wings.

Now THAT is scary! :(

Hawks have matched the offer...

Aug 08, 2008 10:17 PM EST
Atlanta Hawks General Manager Rick Sund announced tonight that the club has retained forward Josh Smith and matched the offer sheet of the Memphis Grizzlies.

“Tonight, the Hawks organization received an offer sheet from the Memphis Grizzlies for Josh Smith,” said Sund. “We are happy to announce that we will match their offer sheet. Ownership, management and the team are happy to have Josh return as a member of the Hawks. We look forward to training camp in October and we will continue to look at additional opportunities to improve our roster.”

Smith, whom the Hawks drafted with the 17th pick overall in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft, has finished second in the NBA in blocks per game in each of the past two years and averaged team-highs in blocks per game (2.80) and steals per game (1.57), while also ranking second on the Hawks in points per game (17.2), rebounds per game (8.2) and assists per game (3.4) in 81 appearances last season

Why would he sign it, and then hope the Hawks counter??

Sounds like he might be interested in playing for them?

Would be a nice young combo tho!

He might have been happy to play with them, but I reckon he did it to set his market value. He had been offered $10 million a year by the Hawks, but by getting the Grizz to make this offer, he earned himself an extra $1.5 million a year. It forces Atlanta's hand to pay him a bit more.

He might have been happy to play with them, but I reckon he did it to set his market value. He had been offered $10 million a year by the Hawks, but by getting the Grizz to make this offer, he earned himself an extra $1.5 million a year. It forces Atlanta's hand to pay him a bit more.

Exactly, that was what I was thinking. Sign the offer sheet because he has the Hawks saying they'll match no matter, and if they didn;t he'd have his money and get used to a new situation. Reckon this was what he was wanting though, a contract quickly.

Back
Top Bottom