The Official 2008/09 Player movement/Trade thread

blazers are stocked with pgs or combo guards already... no way they need hinrich who isn't much of an improvement from blake/roy they were playing last year. I'd develop bayless and play sergio more rather than get another pg. Plus Outlaw is going to be big when he breaks out

The Knicks have a trade proposal on the table with the Memphis Grizzlies that would see Darko Milicic and Marko Jaric dealt to New York in exchange for Zach Randolph.

An executive with knowledge of the trade talks said Friday that Knicks president Donnie Walsh initiated the Randolph-to-Memphis talks with the Grizzlies recently and it's up to Walsh to sign off on the deal. But it appears Walsh has cooled to the idea of trading his player, the executive said.

A Knicks spokesman declined comment Friday.

Milicic is reportedly owed $14.5 million over the next two seasons, and Jaric will make $21.3 million the next three seasons. The Knicks want to trade Randoph because his contract runs through 2010-11. He will be paid nearly $48 million over those three seasons.

The move would help the Knicks with their salary cap. It has been widely perceived that their goal is get under the cap before the summer of 2010 so they can make a run at LeBron James and other high-profile free agents who will hit the market that offseason.

The Knicks have a trade proposal on the table with the Memphis Grizzlies that would see Darko Milicic and Marko Jaric dealt to New York in exchange for Zach Randolph.

An executive with knowledge of the trade talks said Friday that Knicks president Donnie Walsh initiated the Randolph-to-Memphis talks with the Grizzlies recently and it's up to Walsh to sign off on the deal. But it appears Walsh has cooled to the idea of trading his player, the executive said.

A Knicks spokesman declined comment Friday.

Milicic is reportedly owed $14.5 million over the next two seasons, and Jaric will make $21.3 million the next three seasons. The Knicks want to trade Randoph because his contract runs through 2010-11. He will be paid nearly $48 million over those three seasons.

The move would help the Knicks with their salary cap. It has been widely perceived that their goal is get under the cap before the summer of 2010 so they can make a run at LeBron James and other high-profile free agents who will hit the market that offseason.

Randolph for Milicic & Jaric? I'd jump at that deal!

Whilst Randolph is a decent player, I think he's poison, and for a rebuilding team (Knicks) they should look to offload him!

Former Orlando sharpshooting big man Pat Garrity retired today. He wasn't great but hey, he played solid games in the L so all the best to him! :D

Orlando, FL – Forward Pat Garrity has announced his retirement from the NBA. After being acquired by Orlando in 1999, Garrity appeared in 513 regular season games for the Magic, the second-most in franchise history.

“After 10 wonderful years of playing in the NBA, I have decided to retire,” said Garrity. “I am so grateful for being able to play for as long as I have and to have established long lasting roots in Orlando. I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to the Orlando Magic and the great fans of Central Florida and for all of their years of support. Playing with and against the greatest basketball players in the world has been an experience which has given me some of the fondest memories of my life.”

Garrity added: “As a professional athlete, I have always been aware that the time would come for me to begin another chapter in my life. That time has come and I look forward to the exciting challenges that lie ahead.”

Garrity was originally drafted in the first round (19th overall) of the 1998 NBA Draft by Milwaukee. He was acquired by Orlando in 1999, after coming to the Magic from Phoenix as part of the Anfernee Hardaway trade. Garrity has played in 552 regular season games during his NBA career with Phoenix and Orlando, averaging 7.3 ppg. and 2.6 rpg. in 20.0 mpg. He shot .398 (631-of-1,587) from three-point range, and led Orlando in three-point shooting for four straight seasons (1999-2003). Garrity connected on 624-of-1,569 (.398) trifectas in a Magic uniform.

"We thank Pat for his professionalism, character and leadership,” said Magic General Manager Otis Smith. “He gave us nine wonderful seasons and we certainly wish him all the best as he begins this next chapter in his life.

In addition to finishing second all-time in games played with Orlando, Garrity completes his career ranked on the Magic’s all-time franchise list in three-point field goals made (624, 4th), three-point field goals attempted (1,569, 4th) and in minutes played (10,524). He scored his 4,000th career NBA point April 5, 2008 at Cleveland.

Garrity’s contributions were tremendous off the court as well. He was the recipient of the Rich and Helen DeVos Community Enrichment Award in 2003-04, which recognizes outstanding community involvement in the Central Florida area.

Yeah can't see why they want to give up Atkins and a big guy like Stephen Hunter who can clog the middle after they lost Camby, but hey, the Nuggest have been cooking some strange smelling food lately!! :D

They'd do it cause they have a bunch of big guys, and the need for a PG is greater. They were running with Anthony Carter last season! Would be a very good trade for Denver to slide AI back to the 2 and bring in a legit floor general. Though he is injury prone...

And the Pacers would get rid of their problem child.

However, as the article above this post states, looks like it's not actually happening. We'll see.

Heat sign Shaun Livingston?

Could be great for both parties, the guy can flat out play, but that injury has really plagued his career, lets hope he kicks off again.

ESPN said:
MIAMI -- Shaun Livingston has never seen the gruesome video of himself grabbing a loose ball near midcourt, dribbling three times, going in for a layup attempt and having his left knee shred on the landing.

He doesn't intend to watch it anytime soon, either.

"I'm not focusing on the past. I'm just really looking forward," Livingston said. "No mental image in my mind should really derail me."

More than 19 months after that misstep nearly ended his career, Livingston has a second chance. The free agent point guard signed a two-year contract Friday with the Miami Heat, who believe Livingston -- the No. 4 overall pick in the 2004 draft by the Los Angeles Clippers -- could eventually be a steal.

"He has great size and feel for the game at his position," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "I've followed him for a few years. It's unfortunate, really, what happened, but we'd normally never be able to get a player of his talent at this time. He's very committed to getting healthy and we have a great staff to help him get there."

The Heat had Livingston in for a workout about two weeks ago, and talks began intensifying Thursday night on a deal.

Heat president Pat Riley said last week the team only was $415,000 shy of reaching the luxury-tax threshold, so signing the 6-foot-7, 23-year-old Livingston would suggest another deal to free up some cap space could be forthcoming before the regular season opens at the end of the month.

"I think a lot of people will be surprised by how good he looks because of the injury he had," Heat guard Dwyane Wade said. "Of course we all know he still has a ways to go. But I think for the future I think it's going to be good. Give him time to get back in shape and time to get healthy and you've got a 6-7 point guard for the future at a very young age."

The Heat cut point guard Tre Kelley to make room on the 20-man training camp roster.

Livingston was at practice with the Heat Friday afternoon and will travel with the team to Europe for preseason games next week, although it isn't clear when he'll be ready for game action. The Heat already had three point guards vying for the starting spot, with Chris Quinn seeming to have the upper hand so far over rookie Mario Chalmers and Marcus Banks, who came to Miami last year from Phoenix in the Shaquille O'Neal trade.

"I'm excited to play, excited to be here in Miami and really show what I bring to the table when healthy," Livingston said.

Several other teams showed interest in Livingston this offseason, including Portland, Minnesota and the Clippers.

Livingston was cleared for basketball activity last spring, and has been playing 5-on-5 scrimmages for several months, including some stints this summer in Chicago with Wade.

"It came down to Miami and Minnesota," said Livingston's agent, Henry Thomas, who also represents Wade. "And he was more comfortable there."

Livingston averaged 7.4 points and 4.8 assists in parts of three seasons with the Clippers. He was injured on Feb. 26, 2007, tearing three knee ligaments and dislocating his kneecap in a gruesome scene that Wade said he saw once and couldn't bear to see again.

"Shaun is 23 years old so he's still very young," Wade said. "And a 6-7 point guard, you don't really see too many nowadays. I think for the future of Miami, that's a good start."

i think he will fit well with the heat, good to see him back.

he may have put on some weight as well, cause he was 1 skinny dude

They'd do it cause they have a bunch of big guys, and the need for a PG is greater. They were running with Anthony Carter last season! Would be a very good trade for Denver to slide AI back to the 2 and bring in a legit floor general. Though he is injury prone...

And the Pacers would get rid of their problem child.

However, as the article above this post states, looks like it's not actually happening. We'll see.

Carter did an oustanding job too. and HELLS YEAH finally a good signing for the Heat, welcome Shaun Livingston!!

Back
Top Bottom