The Official 2008/09 Player movement/Trade thread

he deserves it though...the guy is a walking double double. plus he is left handed which is to me the best left handed big man since David Robinson...

Luol Deng maybe re-signing very soon...

League sources have informed HOOPSWORLD that the Chicago Bulls and restricted free agent Luol Deng may have reached a deal on a new contract.

Sources say the deal could be worth as much as $81 million on a new six-year deal, hinting that the deal on the table could fall anywhere between $71 million and $81 million depending on unspecified incentives.

Sources also say that the Bulls will now focus more attention on Ben Gordon, and hope to get something done with him in the next few weeks.

Ron Artest to Houston....

The Houston Rockets have reached an agreement to acquire forward Ron Artest from the Sacramento Kings, the Houston Chronicle is reporting.

The Rockets will give up guard Bobby Jackson, a No. 1 draft pick next season and another player that the individual with knowledge of the trade could not name.

It is believed that rookie Donte Greene is included in the deal, which will prevent the deal from going through until August 14, when Greene is able to be dealt.

There could also be other players involved to make the money match but none that the Rockets would plan to keep. The Rockets will also send the Kings cash in excess of $1 million.

Artest is a great pickup............... if he stays mentally focussed. I like artest for houston if he plays well, as i cant name another defender as good as artest on the perimeter, artest, battier, yao, improved team defense and a third scorer if necessary.

Sooooo happy with this trade, apart from losing Green, that sucks big time!!!
Artest gives major relief to tmac on scoring, and hopefully they can cut down his and yaos mins in the reg. season.
As long as he stays with them after next season this team can go places.

From ESPN

Ron Artest didn't opt out, then doubted his decision, asked for a trade, then backed off. It looks like none of that is Sacramento's problem anymore.

NBA front-office sources confirmed to ESPN.com that Artest will be dealt to the Rockets in exchange for Houston's first-round draft pick in 2009, ex-King Bobby Jackson (who arrives with a $6.1 million expiring contract) and the draft rights to Donte Greene. The Kings will also receive more than $1 million in cash, according to The Houston Chronicle, but the deal can't be announced before Aug. 14 because Greene is not eligible to be traded before then.

The trade -- which will reunite Artest with Rick Adelman, one of his favorite coaches -- was first reported by the Chronicle.

"Yes, it has been tentatively agreed upon," said Artest's agent, Mark Stevens, according to KRIV television in Houston. "Now it has to be confirmed by the league office and until that is done, it's not official."

How will Ron Artest fit in with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady? He should give the Rockets a needed edge, writes J.A. Adande.

Two weeks ago, Artest told ESPN.com that he was unhappy with himself for not opting out of his deal and becoming a free agent before the July 1 deadline. He hoped to be traded to "a team out there that can be more committed than Sacramento to me."

In Houston, Artest would team with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming to form one of the toughest trios in the NBA. With Yao injured much of the season, the Rockets finished 55-27 last season, good for third in the Southwest Division. They lost in the first round to the Utah Jazz in six games.

When told of the deal, McGrady was ecstatic.

"I couldn't be more happy," McGrady said, according to KRIV. "Pleased at how the organization is trying to improve this team, get the help that Yao and myself really need to really get to where we want to be and that's one of the elite teams in this league.

"If this is true, this is definitely what I have been waiting on for 11 years in my career, for a team to really improve and put the talent [on the floor] that I feel that we can compete with the best."

Injuries held Artest to only 57 games last season, but he averaged 20.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.3 steals per game for the 38-44 Kings. Sacramento traded point guard Mike Bibby during the season last year and dealing Artest shows that the team is in full rebuilding mode under second-year coach Reggie Theus.

"He brings a mental and physical toughness" McGrady said, according to KRIV. "He brings a guy that competes at a high level on the basketball court. Defensively, he's tough. Offensively, he is a force to be reckoned with. He's probably one of the most difficult guys to guard on the perimeter because of his size, because of his strength."

The 28-year-old Artest is as well known for his volatile personality as his basketball skills. While playing for the Indiana Pacers, he was the central figure in the 2004-05 brawl with fans at The Palace of Auburn Hills during a road game against the Detroit Pistons.

He was suspended for 73 games, the NBA's harshest punishment for a fight. In December, two civil lawsuits against Artest that stemmed from the fight were dismissed.

Artest had surgery on his left thumb in April and was expected to take 8-to-10 weeks to recover. His summer has been just as turbulent as most of his NBA career.

After wavering for more than two months, Artest elected not to opt out of the final year of his contract for $7.4 million by July 1. But the forward immediately announced he regretted his decision, saying the Kings had misled him on their interest in a long-term contract extension. Artest also said he couldn't see himself playing in Sacramento beyond next season.

Artest apologized to the Kings a few days later but one week after that, Artest demanded a trade, claiming he had been blinded to his career well-being by his friendship with the Maloof family, which owns the Kings.

Joe Maloof responded sharply to Artest, warning the forward to muzzle himself. Two weeks later, the Kings apparently found a taker for Artest's defensive skills and high-maintenance personality.

Artest played 40 games for Adelman and averaged 16.9 points, 5.2 rebounds and a career-high 4.2 assists. He was also named to the NBA All-Defensive first team.

The Kings, meanwhile, would be thrilled to get their hands on Greene, a 6-foot-11 forward from Syracuse who impressed the club in pre-draft workouts. Greene was drafted by Memphis with the 28th overall pick and traded to Houston in a three-team deal on draft night.

Although Greene played just one college season, he proved to be a versatile scorer who could fit well into Theus' uptempo game plans.

Jackson, who split his time between New Orleans and Houston last season, averaged 7.7 points per game. This would be his second stint with the Kings where he had his most productive years of his career from 2000 to 2005.

Ron Artest to Houston....

Can anyone say: "3 stars miss equivalent of 1 season of games"?

I can't see them all playing together for more than 30 games if they're lucky. They'll be at least 1 injured, suspended or *****ing and moaning/rapping at any given time all season long...

However if it works, watch out!

I actually reckon that Houston got Artest for chips! I mean Bobby Who? He's an old fella with some value as a role player and mentor for Udrith; on a young, rebuilding Kings team he has no other role other than his salary to make this deal work.

What else did Houston give up ... a 2009 first rounder ... hell, it'll be somewhere in the 15-30 range, so who REALLY cares.

I can't really comment on the rookie they gave up, as I don't know much about him ... perhaps someone here can enlighten me.

I'm just shocked the Kings couldn't come away with a better deal. Someone like David Lee and a draft pick or something ... don't know if the salaries would work, but that is just a random example.

In summary .... Houston are BIG winners in this deal ... they now have a solid roster right down to the 9th man!

I actually reckon that Houston got Artest for chips! I mean Bobby Who? He's an old fella with some value as a role player and mentor for Udrith; on a young, rebuilding Kings team he has no other role other than his salary to make this deal work.

What else did Houston give up ... a 2009 first rounder ... hell, it'll be somewhere in the 15-30 range, so who REALLY cares.

I can't really comment on the rookie they gave up, as I don't know much about him ... perhaps someone here can enlighten me.

I'm just shocked the Kings couldn't come away with a better deal. Someone like David Lee and a draft pick or something ... don't know if the salaries would work, but that is just a random example.

In summary .... Houston are BIG winners in this deal ... they now have a solid roster right down to the 9th man!

That's what I'm so happy about, although Ron can bolt after next season which bring it back a lot..........
-Greene the rookie they traded away is a absolute steal(better then their pick this year and he was the 28th pick), he's pretty much PF Rashard Lewis, scores a bunch but obviously they get a PF in ron in return and he's proven. So the Kings have scored a great player, nearly kinda like the Memphis trade for Gay/Battier

The main thing I like is Tmac will not have to play heavy mins and the #2 defense just got a whole better.
roll with this starting line up.
PG ALSTON ------Brooks
SG TMAC -------head
SF BATTIER------barry
PF ARTEST------scola
C YAO
now thats a potent 3pt attack when they double yao on the post. + a deep bench

I don't get this trade at all. Word is that the Maloof's were looking at an Odom for Artest/Kenny Thomas trade, but declined at the last minute. How is this trade better for them? Even just looking at clearing $$ off the roster, adding Thomas gets rid of a bloaded salary and a nut job.
:blink:

Wow... pretty happy with this trade.. didn't like losing Greene at all, but getting Artest is pretty dang good.. Houston has had a pretty productive offseason. they've done well! :D

Btw... since when has Artest been a PF? AFAIK he's a SF.

Wow... pretty happy with this trade.. didn't like losing Greene at all, but getting Artest is pretty dang good.. Houston has had a pretty productive offseason. they've done well! :D

Btw... since when has Artest been a PF? AFAIK he's a SF.

Exactly. He's a 6'7 SF and outside player...he can play the blocks but if you have that starting line up, Buzzy, that you listed, teams will kill you all night inside cause Artest is a Perimeter defender, like Battier, and Yao will be the only inside presence on defence. No happening. Battier is coming off the bench. The Artest trade has made him expendable.

But this is all conjecture, cause you'll only get to see all those 3 stars on the court at once for ~30 games unless you're lucky :p

Exactly. He's a 6'7 SF and outside player...he can play the blocks but if you have that starting line up, Buzzy, that you listed, teams will kill you all night inside cause Artest is a Perimeter defender, like Battier, and Yao will be the only inside presence on defence. No happening. Battier is coming off the bench. The Artest trade has made him expendable.

But this is all conjecture, cause you'll only get to see all those 3 stars on the court at once for ~30 games unless you're lucky :p

Sure it'll depend on the match-ups and he'll play 3 also when Scola is in and Battier is out but Artest played PF a fair bit in Sactown, the thing you guys arn;t realising, is every team that wanted Artest, was for his defence, except the rockets they want him for his offence, they play him at PF, on D he can bang on the block fine, but the offensive end is where they will kill the other team as their PF's will have to guard him, and he'll blow by them with ease (kinda like what Larry brown did with AI @ SG)

Getting Artest should allow TMAC to play less in the regular season and possibly Yao too, if they start blowing out teams like the Celtics did this season. KG hardly played the 1st half of the season because of this...

The only thing I'm worries about is Artest bolting after this season, & if he misbehaves( but he's playing for his favourite coach and his in a contract year so it's more likely that he'll behave for now.......

The kings will have a great team in 3 seasons, them and the Blazers will be strong......and finally it's K-martins team!!! he's going to get his 25 shots a game now

Here what we plan to do with artest..
From the Houston chronicle
where he has the muscle to bang with 4s in the post, and then dare bigger opponents to match up with him at the other end. He was extremely effective doing this in Sacramento, and will have a lot more opportunity to do so in Houston since a big chunk of his minutes figure to come at the 4.

And while the Rockets see him as their No. 3 offensive weapon behind Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, it's a strong third. Houston ranked only 17th in offensive efficiency last season, and McGrady sometimes broke down under the strain of having to create offense for everybody else -- most visibly in Game 2 of the Utah series this spring. Houston badly needed another perimeter player who can create his own shot, and Artest fills that hole.

Meanwhile, adding a fourth perimeter player should be of huge benefit to Yao Ming as well. Opponents will be much more reluctant to double him and will have to recover once they do, with McGrady, Artest, Battier and Rafer Alston all competent 3-point threats and Brent Barry and Luther Head poised to come in firing off the bench.

Plus, when McGrady checks out with an injury -- something that's a pretty good bet to happen at some point this season, based on recent history -- Houston has another creator to fill in without too great a drop in quality.

The big idea is that Artest, between his scoring and his underrated playmaking skills, will add enough offense to get Houston well into the upper half of the league in offensive efficiency. From there, the Rockets' suffocating D -- with Artest adding yet another stopper to the mix -- can accomplish the rest.

if you have that starting line up, Buzzy, that you listed, teams will kill you all night inside cause Artest is a Perimeter defender, like Battier, and Yao will be the only inside presence on defence.

Also I think you don't realise we've played undersized PF for the last two seasons and had the top 3 defence in the League, and that's with guys like chuck hayes, scola and Landry, they don't have the defensive pedigree of artest.

the weakest point (excuse the pun) is the PG position .... I'm not convinced Alston can be a successful PG in the playoffs. But maybe their other strengths can rectify that!
Could agree more, I've never really like alston, but he did play decent last year and I think he plays decent with good players around him, I figured that Mike James would have gotten all the starting job last year but it kinda motivated alston last season obviously. Now that him a Bobby are gone though hopefully it doesn't make him relax like he's a shoe in cause there is only francis and brooks

I don't get this trade at all. Word is that the Maloof's were looking at an Odom for Artest/Kenny Thomas trade, but declined at the last minute. How is this trade better for them? Even just looking at clearing $$ off the roster, adding Thomas gets rid of a bloaded salary and a nut job.

They get 2 1st rnd picks in affect and a trade piece (bobby) come Feb 21, I thought the Lakers deal was as good as done also but the thing that kill that deal I think was the Lakers didn't want to let go off Lamar and take on Thomas's massive contract. The Kings wanted this deal to go through it was the Lakers that were reluctant

Looks like they might move T-Mac to the 2-guard position, with Artest at the 3. Scola should start at PF, with Batman coming off the bench.

Artest will give up too much height at the PF position. KG, Duncan, Dirk, Amare, the list goes on with dominant PFs.

I'm with Dale, the Kings could have gone with Odom instead, would have helped them more so. Unless they're looking to rebuild?

Clippers continue their make-over. Nice pick up IMO :) Looks Camby trade-esque with the Rockets only getting the option to switch 2nd rounders. Clips doing nicely!

Clippers acquire Novak
52 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintLOS ANGELES (AP)—The Los Angeles Clippers acquired Steve Novak, a forward who can shoot from the perimeter, in a deal with the Houston Rockets on Wednesday.

In return, the Rockets will have the option to exchange second-round picks with the Clippers in the 2011 NBA draft.

Last season, his second in the NBA, the 6-foot-10, 220-pound Novak averaged 3.9 points while playing in 35 games for Houston. He went 34-of-71 (.479) from 3-point range.

Selected 32nd overall in the 2006 NBA draft, Novak had set a Marquette record for career 3-pointers made (354), and finished 10th in school history in career points (1,567).

And Shannon Brown now to the Bobcats so they can replace JRich (they're equal in ability, with maybe Brown beating out JRich the useless sod.)

Bobcats sign G Shannon Brown to 1-year deal
3 hours, 57 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintRelated Video Brown news conference Brown news conference

More NBA Videos CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—The Charlotte Bobcats signed guard Shannon Brown to a one-year deal Wednesday for the NBA minimum of about $800,000.

The 6-foot-4 Brown played in 21 games for Cleveland and Chicago last season and had two stints in the NBA Development League.

Brown was the 25th overall pick by Cleveland in 2006 after leaving Michigan State following his junior year. Brown was limited to 23 games as a rookie because of a leg injury, and the Cavaliers declined to pick up the option year on his contract and traded him to Chicago in February in the Ben Wallace deal.

Brown has played in 44 NBA games, averaging 4.3 points.

The move leaves the Bobcats with 14 players under contract.

Back
Top Bottom