2014 Select Series 2

Hi @Steve Wang , as one of the moderators here on the site, I welcome you and want to say thank you for clarifying your point of view. I would encourage you to do this more often as this is a great platform for you to share information across some 7,000 + members, some of which are customers of yours or could be potentially be customers of yours in the future.

This forum is a place for passionate collectors to come and share their views like you have done today. I understand you are speaking in an individual capacity, but if there has been similar bashing of previous Select products, what has tempted you to come and share your thoughts with us this time round?

Surely hearing a lot of negative feedback about this product would raise some level of concern with you?

I want to go through a couple of your points with you.....you may never read these or acknowledge these comments but ill say them anyway.

1) I agree that Select release products at their discretion based on their own schedules, and you are right, if you don't like a product don't buy it. However is there a point in time where Select may take the opportunity to listen to collectors, the same collectors who are their customers as to what it is that they actually want to collect and purchase?

If I were making a product that people weren't interested in and hearing this from my customer base, wouldn't it be business 101 to find out what it is your customers are actually interested in collecting? Should it be the case Select that should adjust itself not the customer?

This seems like a very arrogant approach, you get what we give you.

3) The issue with people discussing criticism here on our boards in large part is due to Select not listening to what it is the customer wants. The overriding frustration collectors have is that Select has an exclusive licence, they make what they want not what the customers want.

I would bet you that if it were a non exclusive agreement, Select would struggle greatly to sell the releases they put out and would then have to listen to their customers and adjust their products to remain profitable?

6) Could it be said that JHL holds back stock initially to create the demand for this product?

Then stock is slowly released to resellers?

8) Select has released some amazing cards over the years, they have also failed to keep up with other manufacturers in terms of technology and progressing their designs. Again, if Select was open to taking on feedback from its customers and incorporating even 10% into its new products then a lot of these criticisms would disappear.

Look at ESP in the NRL, in the time they have released their products, they have improved their offering greatly and I have no doubt that 2014 NRL Elite will be a huge success.........and the reason for this? They listen to their customer base and give them what they want.

9) Totally agree, but again people are passionate about their hobbies....I am, and I hate seeing release after release look the same as the year before. Champions 2014 looks identical to Champions 2013.

Select have an amazing opportunity to create some cutting edge cards in the Australian market....do you know what is stopping them from creating more game worn jersey cards, multi sig cards other concepts? To a lot of people this almost seems like its just too much hard work for Select.

Finally, you are right, people will vent (like I have) as they are allowed to, as its a forum here and people are entitled to have their say.

I understand that you may not come back and read this as you are busy serving your customers.....but if this release was as strong as the previous Select releases, I highly doubt you would come here and put your point across like you have.

Surely you must see that people (collectors and potential customers of yours) aren't happy with whats being offered this time round?

Regards
Matt

Matt, thankyou.

It means a great deal when the mods of this site stand up for us.
You have raised some of our concerns and questions, the ones that more often than not are ignored by Select.

I appreciate that the mods know "we" are upset and support us in expressing how we feel.

No censorship here.

Love live OzCardtrader.
:hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:

I wont be buying a case of this product, i brought 3 cases last year and roughly another 30 boxes. One idea i had to show select that we aren't happy with this release is to buy boxes or cases of previous years at the same time "Honours" is released.

I wont be buying a case of this product, i brought 3 cases last year and roughly another 30 boxes. One idea i had to show select that we aren't happy with this release is to buy boxes or cases of previous years at the same time "Honours" is released.

I had the same thought, for same money can get 05 dynasty and for a bit less 06 supreme

My opinion in this instant is that everybody was saying they wanted change/something different from select?
Now im not agreeing with select. But they did change it and i probably wont be buying much box wise but i don't mid the idea of the Brownlow signatures and sketch's.
I am however disappointed in the fact that Mark Ricciuto was not one of the Brownlow cards.
and i do believe that select should tailor to the collectors because without the collectors they don't make money.

Updated.

Selects lost revenue.

Shueygaff --- $7,500

Scotty_ WCE --- $360.00

Lazlow--- $540.00

Drama5----$720.00

addz-----$900.00

Bondy-----$360.00

Negrofc----$12,900

Cardhawk---$7,860

Dealers/sellers lost revenue.

Matty76-----$1,000

Last edited:
@ShueyGaffDarlingNat - I'd have definitely purchased the traditional Norm Smith Medal, Brownlow Medal and Coleman Medal signature cards......not sure what $$ value we'd be talking though, maybe $950-$1000 in total mate? PS I am not going to touch 2014 Honours :)

Hey I just liked his post because he came on here and took the time to put his point across, weather I agree with it or not means stuff all, as far as this release is concerned I don't mind it only a few dees cards I want so still up in the air on how much I buy as I was planning on getting a case this year. The 1 thing I would have likes is lower number signatures

Gotta admit to being torn.

We all wade through Series one like its the vegetables you have eat before dessert as a child, knowing, hoping, that whats to come in Series two will offset the bad taste in out mouths.
On one hand, at least they've made an attempt, albeit hamfisted, to try and change the direction of Series 2, in a way that I wish they would with Series one.
On the other hand though, they've pretty much stuffed it across the board, with a lack of originality, over-supply, over-pricing and a disregard for accepted advances in the card hobby.

I'd really love to say I'll join a boycott to protest, but to be honest, I just enjoy opening packs too much, and will struggle to resist the temptation.

As for Steve's post, I admire him for taking the time to reply and try to defend the product in a way Select never do, but I just couldnt see past his conflict of interest or his financial loyalty to a company that have made him wealthy over the psat 10+ years with very little risk.

@ShueyGaffDarlingNat - I'd have definitely purchased the traditional Norm Smith Medal, Brownlow Medal and Coleman Medal signature cards......not sure what $$ value we'd be talking though, maybe $950-$1000 in total mate? PS I am not going to touch 2014 Honours :)

That's a tricky one Matty as it is the secondary market you would be dealing with.

However i think you make a perfectly valid point that the product does not have available the cards you would normally purchase.

So i shall place a secondary value tally with medal cards and medal sigs taken into account. :)

I notice 9 people have liked Steve's post. I'm guessing you agree with what he's saying. Now I have nothing against anyone who liked the post at all I'm just wondering if you could post what your opinion is (no-one yet has defended Select so would just like to hear from a different POV!).

@lilreddevil @Festa1234 @tak35bne @redtorana @GoMoto @hawkstarcards15 @adelaidecrowsarebeast @ozfootball @carlton91

Scott, whether it be AFL or NRL Select has a right to make money, it's what anyone in business is there to do. I also understand the frustration from a collectors point of view in that we sometimes don't get what we want but there are things we rush to judgement on without having all the facts, things such as we do not know what the contractual obligations or limitations are on Select with the license, it may well be that the AFL not Select has the final say on who can sign cards for a release etc

In his previous post Matt 26 has all but accused Steve Wang of something akin to cronyism, Steve has had a card business for donkey years and good on him for having the time, financial backing and ability to act as the national distributor for their product. It makes no sense that I can see for him to dribble product out the door, if he does not sell the stock (wholesale as JHL) then he is left with it, his retail operation may then have to look at purchasing........we have no idea.

In the whole thread there are two things that I don't like, first is the drip feeding of pre-release information to the customers, Select and ESP are the worst (especially ESP). The second is limiting a business / reseller to minimal series 2 product if they did not support series 1. Not all sellers have a customer base made of kids so series 1 is not a big seller. Series 2 on the other hand is for the collector and if an authorised seller has a customer base to sell series 2 then he/she should be allowed to buy what they need without restriction.

My thoughts anyway.....

Dave

Updated.

Selects lost revenue.

Shueygaff --- $7,500

Scotty_ WCE --- $360.00

Lazlow--- $540.00

Drama5----$720.00

addz-----$900.00

Bondy-----$360.00

Negrofc----$12,900

I doubt they care but i'd like to know how much we as a community would have bought if only we were offered something worthwhile.

As Steve put it "save the money for your family's need such as gas bill, car reg" :rolleyes:
Only $23280 of lost revenue :rolleyes:

Updated.

Selects lost revenue.

Shueygaff --- $7,500

Scotty_ WCE --- $360.00

Lazlow--- $540.00

Drama5----$720.00

addz-----$900.00

Bondy-----$360.00

Negrofc----$12,900

I doubt they care but i'd like to know how much we as a community would have bought if only we were offered something worthwhile.

As Steve put it "save the money for your family's need such as gas bill, car reg" :rolleyes:

Shuey you are like a prime Cousins snatching the ball from a stoppage and kicking it from 50 with your relentlessness... love it lol.

On the topic of lost revenue, I was hoping of getting my first case knowing (lol) there would be 2 Hawks sig redemptions. Throw in a few boxes from potential case shares and I'll leave it up to you to do the math :p

Yes Steve, money better spent on gas and car rego :D

Hey I just liked his post because he came on here and took the time to put his point across, weather I agree with it or not means stuff all, as far as this release is concerned I don't mind it only a few dees cards I want so still up in the air on how much I buy as I was planning on getting a case this year. The 1 thing I would have likes is lower number signatures
Scott, whether it be AFL or NRL Select has a right to make money, it's what anyone in business is there to do. I also understand the frustration from a collectors point of view in that we sometimes don't get what we want but there are things we rush to judgement on without having all the facts, things such as we do not know what the contractual obligations or limitations are on Select with the license, it may well be that the AFL not Select has the final say on who can sign cards for a release etc

In his previous post Matt 26 has all but accused Steve Wang of something akin to cronyism, Steve has had a card business for donkey years and good on him for having the time, financial backing and ability to act as the national distributor for their product. It makes no sense that I can see for him to dribble product out the door, if he does not sell the stock (wholesale as JHL) then he is left with it, his retail operation may then have to look at purchasing........we have no idea.

In the whole thread there are two things that I don't like, first is the drip feeding of pre-release information to the customers, Select and ESP are the worst (especially ESP). The second is limiting a business / reseller to minimal series 2 product if they did not support series 1. Not all sellers have a customer base made of kids so series 1 is not a big seller. Series 2 on the other hand is for the collector and if an authorised seller has a customer base to sell series 2 then he/she should be allowed to buy what they need without restriction.

My thoughts anyway.....

Dave
Thanks for posting your thoughts! Fair points made by both of you. Dave my only point is Select don't have to have a license to make creative subsets that aren't signatures!

My thoughts anyway.....

Dave

Well thought out and constructive tak.

Last edited:
I'm going against the grain here and saying I think it is an alright release. I like the Brownlow medallist concept, not so much the sketch cards, but everything else is okay in my opinion. The series has a definite theme which to me is similar to last years release which most people seemed to like. I'll buy a box or two as I've always done.

I think to make an informed critical comment on Select you'd really need to understand the costs involved in running the business, and that's info you wouldn't have access to unless you happened to be their accountant.

A business is there after all to be profitable and to make money for the owners. You can't begrudge anyone for doing that.

I notice 9 people have liked Steve's post. I'm guessing you agree with what he's saying. Now I have nothing against anyone who liked the post at all I'm just wondering if you could post what your opinion is (no-one yet has defended Select so would just like to hear from a different POV!).

@lilreddevil @Festa1234 @tak35bne @redtorana @GoMoto @hawkstarcards15 @adelaidecrowsarebeast @ozfootball @carlton91
Everything that needs to be said has already been said. No need to turn it into a bigger soap opera than what it is! No further value added from me.

Back
Top Bottom