Terrible news re: Series 2

so basically the're saying it's not commercially viable to produce a series 2 nrl anymore.
because they aren't a point of sale item and just a collectors item sold in hobby shops.
unfortunately there just ain't enough hobby shops out there, with no passing traffic
picking up odd packs, just a set number of collectors buying off a few dealers and unfortunately these few dealers have to compete with ebay sellers offloading new product at throw away prices.

I don't think last years series 2 sales has anything to do with it, it be this years series one, with so many picking up there needs on ebay, i reckon dealers are really struggling,
newsagents have the benefit of being able to return stock that doesn't sell, i think select can already see that returns are gonna far outweigh actual sales and that this trend is telling select that in order to survive in a junk market, which is what they are in, they need to diversify and move to other areas of junk.

like topps for instance, if they just did cards year after year they would of been out on their ass years ago, there main business is lolly pops and gum, select don't have a cash flow item so if they don't make every post a winner, the cards that do sell well simply get absorbed by cards that don't sell well.

select are trying to make out the're doing the right thing by collectors, but in actuall fact, by holding the nrl card licence, they are stopping a decent card company in producing nrl cards, kind of like if we can't do it then we'll make sure no one can.

and grant copely would have to be the most egotisticle person ever to be involved with cards, every redemption card and special card has his name on it and his signature, he really believes he is the ants pants to sports cards, such a ****er.
the person i believe can take the nrl licence away from select is steve from card zone, I think since he already has an excellent distribution system and know how along with the willingness to take some risks and a little bit in the bank, he'd be the perfect candiate to take the nrl licence away from select.

Unlike Series 1, Series 2 products can't be returned if they don't sell (which is why newsagents stay away from the product).

Last years Series 2 sold out quite fast so looking at sales figures for the unlimited production of series 1 doesn't make sense. Unless the NRL are charging more than the AFL for licencing it doesn't quite add up here.

Just read on the Select website the official statement =

https://www.selectaustralia.com.au/news/detail.php?id=30

30 April 2010
NRL 2010 Series 2

After lengthy deliberation *5 minute meeting?, it is with much regret that Select has decided not *cant be stuffed to produce a second series of NRL cards in 2010. Many key factors *name some please were taken into account before we arrived at this decision.

Select understands this news will disappoint some *most collectors, but we would like you to appreciate that this is not a decision that has been made lightly.

We would like nothing more than to continue manufacturing products for the vibrant card communities that exist in Australia and throughout the world, but we must do so in a commercially responsible manner that will ensure we can still be doing it long in to the future *please i hope not.

While there is no second NRL series scheduled for 2010, we do have some exciting new products *lame tags, figurines and stickers no doubt that will be released throughout the year. While we can’t tell you any more just yet *Your bs releases arent really worthy of being top secret, we urge you to check our website, Facebook and Twitter to be among the first to know *Oooo how exciting .

The team at Select Australia sincerely thanks you for actively collecting our products *Thank us with a quality release. We are proud *even they must have been laughing when they wrote this of what we do and appreciate the long term support and loyalty shown by our collectors.

We also wish to offer our utmost assurance that Select is committed to providing you with new and exciting *yeah, real exciting card collections, so stay tuned as we look forward to some new releases soon.

Yours in sport, *Whatever
Select Australia

I added my own notes to their statement :rolleyes:

Understand frustrations heaps of us have been saving for Series 2. I suspect legal issues have tied this one up. I dont thk its going to help further destabilizing as Select and card shops/dealers will struggle and lets hope SELECT do a iterim CARD set worthy of release. But yes not happy larry!!

No point giving them a roasting as it will only be the office girls that reply to the emails and they don`t make any of the decisions ...They just have to put up with the irate customers ...

The final decisions will come from a higher place than them ...The girls in the office just do what they are told to do and don`t have any control ...

No point giving them a roasting? If collectors don't give them feedback on the results of their ill-considered actions then how do they find out? It really seems like they have put no thought into this decision and is some sort of ridiculous reaction based on what happend with the storm. Doesn't appear they understand there are another 15 clubs who have fans who really do want to collect cards of their teams.

i say jump on facebook and let them know how you all feel, i just did and i dont even collect NRL, just think its poor form from Select. and keep sending those emails, they should all get forwarded onto the managment, thats what a proper business would do with a complain, but this is Select on the otherhand, they have already proven they just dont care so who knows.

No point giving them a roasting as it will only be the office girls that reply to the emails and they don`t make any of the decisions ...They just have to put up with the irate customers ...

The final decisions will come from a higher place than them ...The girls in the office just do what they are told to do and don`t have any control ...

I'd say there's every point. It might not be pleasant for the person who replies to the emails, but big deal. An angry email is better than an angry phone call - believe me! I work in customer service to some extent, and often I agree with the customer's complaints. I don't care about complaint, just could do without someone yelling or crying on the other end of a phone! haha.

And even Select can't be so incompetant that the front office doesn't pass on the customer's complaints to the people in charge?!?! If enough people do let their feelings be known, then you never know what might happen. It could be the difference between a premium series in 2011 or not!

the person i believe can take the nrl licence away from select is steve from card zone, I think since he already has an excellent distribution system and know how along with the willingness to take some risks and a little bit in the bank, he'd be the perfect candiate to take the nrl licence away from select.

No chance of that!!!!
Steve is apart of the "Select Family", do you seriously think he will bite the hand that feeds him????

yes i do, he's a risk taker, has been since he busted his first half case of upperdeck in '93 in his milk bar.
only took 2 years from that point to become a major player in the card retail industry at a time when cards were a billion dollar biz'
you need to have balls to succeed and i believe he is the heir apparent to select.
select is owned by an old tosser that has nothing else in his life but to flaunt his ego to kids and card collectors, with ancient ideas but lucky 'cos they have a secure licence, but you just wait and see, won't be too long.

Mate busting half a case is not much of a risk.

I remember he had card shop in Dandenong that did last too long. But I guess the risk in that was having a shop in Dandenong and not getting stabbed.

I personally think Steve is too old and his ideas would be back dated, it is time for a whole revamp of card collecting in Australia.

I do agree with your statements about old timer Copley.

I guess my basketball collection will grow a bit larger now there will be no series 2 and my Rabbitohs collection as well will have to fill those gaps in it with free funds that were going to be put aside for series 2.

that is just compete rubbish by select.
Yay we are just so excited by some other crappy products which are NOT CARDS!
Why do they even waste their money on trash like tags, stickers and figurines!

Select's distributor announced today that they will be selling the 2010 FIFA World Cup Soccer Cards.

They are actually manufactured by Panini and just being distributed by JHL.

Select have announced the release of their 2010 AFL STARS KEY RINGS--RELEASE: 10th, May.

Select announced today that they are releasing 2010 FIFA World Cup Soccer Cards.

Now thinking of the licencing costs, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude that the NRL Series 2 was sacrafised to produce this set. Especially after reading Select's media release.

I heard that from another wholesaler on Friday. I was a bit skeptical about that, but looks like it is going ahead.
I wonder what the inserts and special cards will be like???? any news on that??

This will definitely be aimed for the kids market.

So that means there will be NRL series 2 release next year.

I heard that from another wholesaler on Friday. I was a bit skeptical about that, but looks like it is going ahead.
I wonder what the inserts and special cards will be like???? any news on that??

This will definitely be aimed for the kids market.

So that means there will be NRL series 2 release next year.

Yes, i have all the release info. I'll post it in a new thread now.

They are actually manufactured by Panini and just being distributed by JHL.

Select have announced the release of their 2010 AFL STARS KEY RINGS--RELEASE: 10th, May.

Back
Top Bottom