Terrible news re: Series 2

I've seen a few people say that the NRL should take the license for the cards else where... The only problem is where/who!?!?! There isn't anyone else in Australia to produce them!

Any printer in australia could make them, even the printers in mudgee could print them;)

Wooo Hooo great to see Select not making cards!!!
Wonderful news that is, my wallet will have a rest this season.

I am quite sure we could outsource a company in China to produce better quality cards then Select. They would probably pick better rookie auto's too.

There are not many high end NRL card buyers, so I am guessing this may have played a part??

Players asking fee's to sign cards would be getting higher, little factors that play a part. But the biggest factor would be how lazy they are.

There might be some substance to this rumor as the action on NRL auto's in the past week on ebay have increased, I could be looking too much into this.

I collect way more NRL then AFL, but the product quality from both are pathetic. For a company that has been around for 20+ years and producing substandard products is quite sad.

would only need 100 collectors to invest $5000 each to make it work.

Great idea with banding collectors together to raise the quid to print it, but your $500,000 figure for the job is quite modest. I'm tempted to run some figures to identify what it would cost to design, plate, print, foil, number, diecut, autograph, guillotine, collate, pack, box, shrink wrap and distribute.

Actually, no I'm not. And that's just doing it exactly the same as Select Classic 2009 - everyone wants game used jerseys, patches, print plate 1/1's and the such as concepts to push the envelope, which is fine, but you'll comfortably double your costs. I just ran through every process in my head, and it's over 25 minutes later that I've sat back down. Found myself staring in the cupboard, much to my wife's amusement.

If we had $1m-ish, and a really, really good & reliable printer with an A2+ 5 colour + aqueous machine, we could get out another 09 Classic. The minute you think about making it with your own machines, you're bankrupt.

F@ck. I'm gonna be thinking about this all night now. As much as a disappointment it is to have nothing else to look forward to this year NRL-wise, it's a brilliant opportunity to give sports card collecting in Australia something to really revere and get excited about.

If anyone's sitting on a goldmine out there, give me a call. :D I doubt I'm the only person here who understands printing, too - raise your hands. What would you do with the opportunity?

well, to give you an example.
I was an inch away from producing cards myself about 7 years ago.
the printer i was working with is the same printer that produced futera's cards, tempo's cards and some of dynamic marketing cards, they are a huge printing company that also prints australia posts stamps and you name it.
the machines they have are about 30 metres in length, it does the whole thing in one go, prints sheets, moves on to cut, then collate and then into packs, then into boxes that then gets put on a pallet and away they go.
they do all the hard work like setting out the print plates ect, you just need to give them the images.

the series i was going to produce was gonna be on ultra thick stock, almost as thick as the game worn cards are today, not quite as thick though.
but ultra premium in quality unlike anything produced in austalia to date.

8 cards per pack & 24 packs per box.
2,000 boxes was $84,000 to print up, that's all in foil packs and fancy boxes.

I had a graphic designer as a partner to do our own designs of what the pack, boxes ect would look like, and the licence I had access too was free, it was for an artwork collection that's very large and popular.
the owners of the rights to the artwork is a museum in the US, they were prepared to let me have exclusive rights to producing the images on cards, they were wrapped that someone was doing it because they could see the benefit the promotion would be to them so no charge except it was always my intention to donate a percentage of sales to the foundation.

it's still on my drawing board but i'm a few years off from being able to finance it myself.

so that gives you an idea on what a series would cost to produce.
all that's an issue with nrl or afl is the licence to do so, but for like nbl or abl, you could walk up and get them licenses for free or very little 'cos the promotion is worth a lot to those organisations that need it.

what really sucks about all this is, we the collectors have spent 1000's of dollars and even more in some cases, year after year and all select will tell us, the people who buy and support their products is, they are not doing the 2nd series is because the managing director said so.

so they dont give a **** about who we are or what we spend on their products. a total lack of consideration, respect and courteous y :mad::mad:

to quote Darryn Hinch
SHAME SHAME SHAME

Feel sorry for the die hard footy collectors! If they are ditching the premier nrl release then that can only mean bad news for the one and only cricket release they usually do later in the year!
Someone mentioned ESP, they did one of the best cricket sets in 04/05, so let's hope they can pick the ball up if Select fold on certain sports, or better yet maybe Futera, with the huge base they have established in the UK, could do cricket and nrl :drool: Let select keep their afl :D

This is bloody terrible. I still cant believe it. Not that I collect NRL anymore (due to Select), but I feel so bad for all you guys that do. How can they not produce. I cant stop shaking my head in disbelief.

But I gues we must look for positives, and a positive out of this may well be select abandon there NRL licence and someone else steps up to the plate.

Maybe Upper deck will branch out to Australia :lol: :lol:

Great idea with banding collectors together to raise the quid to print it, but your $500,000 figure for the job is quite modest. I'm tempted to run some figures to identify what it would cost to design, plate, print, foil, number, diecut, autograph, guillotine, collate, pack, box, shrink wrap and distribute.

If we had $1m-ish, and a really, really good & reliable printer with an A2+ 5 colour + aqueous machine, we could get out another 09 Classic. The minute you think about making it with your own machines, you're bankrupt.

If anyone's sitting on a goldmine out there, give me a call. :D I doubt I'm the only person here who understands printing, too - raise your hands. What would you do with the opportunity?

well, to give you an example.
I was an inch away from producing cards myself about 7 years ago.
the printer i was working with is the same printer that produced futera's cards, tempo's cards and some of dynamic marketing cards, they are a huge printing company that also prints australia posts stamps and you name it.
the machines they have are about 30 metres in length, it does the whole thing in one go, prints sheets, moves on to cut, then collate and then into packs, then into boxes that then gets put on a pallet and away they go.
they do all the hard work like setting out the print plates ect, you just need to give them the images.

the series i was going to produce was gonna be on ultra thick stock, almost as thick as the game worn cards are today, not quite as thick though.
but ultra premium in quality unlike anything produced in austalia to date.

8 cards per pack & 24 packs per box.
2,000 boxes was $84,000 to print up, that's all in foil packs and fancy boxes.

Guys after I win $30 odd million tonight I will finance you both :p

I can provide fabric from Ron Cootes game worn jersey from the winning South Sydney team of the 1971 Grand Final if your gonna print some up?

was thinking about this, suck for all the NRL collectors out there but could be great news for AFL collectors, maybe they will put a lot more effort into the AFL release, god knows it needs it. not so much in the short term but this could be good for sports cards collectors in OZ in the long term, surely some serious competition for Select will come out of this now that there are licences available. slowly start with NRL and build into something that will sh*t all over Select and take over all sports here.

---------- Post added 29-04-2010 at 12:38 PM ----------

I collect way more NRL then AFL, but the product quality from both are pathetic. For a company that has been around for 20+ years and producing substandard products is quite sad.

exactly mate, spot on. for a company thats been producing trading cards for over 20 years you would think they would have expanded and moved with the times, but this is Select :(

so they dont give a **** about who we are or what we spend on their products. a total lack of consideration, respect and courteous y :mad::mad:

thats it mate, i know ive spent thousands alone. they keep releasing rubbish and we keep buying it to the point of sell out, why, because the AFL and NRL wont release the licence and we have no choice but to buy it coz theres nothing else, its bullsh*t :mad:

I honestly can't believe it. If they are the sort of company that can neglect collectors like that they certainly don't deserve the licence. They are on facebook and it would be worth everyone who is serious about collecting posting about thier disapointment on their page.

I emailed Select about it and they said there is still hope and to watch this space.

I gave them a bit of a roasting, felt quite bad when they replied quite nicely.

No point giving them a roasting as it will only be the office girls that reply to the emails and they don`t make any of the decisions ...They just have to put up with the irate customers ...

The final decisions will come from a higher place than them ...The girls in the office just do what they are told to do and don`t have any control ...

Just read on the Select website the official statement =

https://www.selectaustralia.com.au/news/detail.php?id=30

30 April 2010
NRL 2010 Series 2

After lengthy deliberation, it is with much regret that Select has decided not to produce a second series of NRL cards in 2010. Many key factors were taken into account before we arrived at this decision.

Select understands this news will disappoint some collectors, but we would like you to appreciate that this is not a decision that has been made lightly.

We would like nothing more than to continue manufacturing products for the vibrant card communities that exist in Australia and throughout the world, but we must do so in a commercially responsible manner that will ensure we can still be doing it long in to the future.

While there is no second NRL series scheduled for 2010, we do have some exciting new products that will be released throughout the year. While we can’t tell you any more just yet, we urge you to check our website, Facebook and Twitter to be among the first to know.

The team at Select Australia sincerely thanks you for actively collecting our products. We are proud of what we do and appreciate the long term support and loyalty shown by our collectors.

We also wish to offer our utmost assurance that Select is committed to providing you with new and exciting card collections, so stay tuned as we look forward to some new releases soon.

Yours in sport,
Select Australia

Just read on the Select website the official statement =

https://www.selectaustralia.com.au/news/detail.php?id=30

30 April 2010
NRL 2010 Series 2

After lengthy deliberation, it is with much regret that Select has decided not to produce a second series of NRL cards in 2010. Many key factors were taken into account before we arrived at this decision.

Select understands this news will disappoint some collectors, but we would like you to appreciate that this is not a decision that has been made lightly.

We would like nothing more than to continue manufacturing products for the vibrant card communities that exist in Australia and throughout the world, but we must do so in a commercially responsible manner that will ensure we can still be doing it long in to the future.

While there is no second NRL series scheduled for 2010, we do have some exciting new products that will be released throughout the year. While we can’t tell you any more just yet, we urge you to check our website, Facebook and Twitter to be among the first to know.

The team at Select Australia sincerely thanks you for actively collecting our products. We are proud of what we do and appreciate the long term support and loyalty shown by our collectors.

We also wish to offer our utmost assurance that Select is committed to providing you with new and exciting card collections, so stay tuned as we look forward to some new releases soon.

Yours in sport,
Select Australia

love the part about being proud of what they do..........talk about p*ssing in each others pockets, pick your game up Select, no-one else is proud of you!

Back
Top Bottom