baseball card worth 7000?

Trey

David Robinson Collector
Real Name
Marty
eBay User
admiral5071
Alex Gordon collected baseball cards as a kid.

He would buy them, a dollar a pack, and carefully sort out the keepers. The others he traded with friends. He would put the best ones in a shoebox, and if they featured Ken Griffey, his favorite player, he would put them in a special plastic case.

Today they're somewhere in his old bedroom at the family home in Lincoln, Neb. Combined, they probably would be worth a couple of hundred dollars.

Or about $7,000 less than a rookie card of Kansas City Royals third baseman Alex Gordon.

That's the same Alex Gordon, the one who is neither a rookie nor a member of the Royals. In the flesh, Gordon is a little-known but highly regarded infielder for the Double-A Wichita Wranglers. In cardboard, Gordon is pure gold.

"I should retire now and stay on top," says Gordon, who will be in uniform at Wolff Stadium tonight when the Missions take on the Wranglers to open a four-game Texas League series.

Gordon's 2006 Topps baseball card is more valuable than any issued of Lou Gehrig or Ted Williams. It's certainly not because Gordon, a former Nebraska All-American, was the second pick in the 2005 draft. Gordon is considered a hot prospect, destined to play in the big leagues. But that has nothing to do with the card's value.

Gordon's card is rare — about as rare as copies of the Declaration of Independence. Why?

Because Topps, the established king of card makers, screwed up. Royally.

Under the terms of an agreement with the Major League Players' Association, Topps no longer has permission to issue a card of any player who has not played in the major leagues. Gordon, who signed with the Royals in late September, didn't play his first professional game until last month.

But when Topps issued its 2006 set in late winter, there was Gordon — No. 297 — decked out in a Royals uniform. When Topps noticed the error, the company withdrew the card from production.

That didn't prevent some number of Gordon cards (Topps isn't saying how many) from slipping out via early shipments of boxed sets to Wal-Mart stores. Collectors have been mining Wal-Mart inventories ever since for Gordon cards easily convertible to cash on eBay. It's all about supply and demand. A collector who wants a complete set of 2006 cards either can get lucky or lay down some cash. How much cash?

One card recently sold on eBay for $7,500, reportedly to MSNBC commentator Keith Olbermann, an avid collector who is said to have corralled six cards.

Even Gordon is questioning the interest in a 31/2 x 21/2-inch piece of cardboard.

"What are people thinking nowadays?" he says. "You'd think a card worth that much would be a Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens."

When word spread of the cards' value, some of Gordon's teammates — his roommates in a shared house in Wichita — asked if he had any spares. Actually, he doesn't own any.

"I told them that if I had one we could put it on eBay," Gordon said, "and then buy a hot tub for the house."

Limited window

He'd better hurry.

Bruce Rice, who owns the "What's on Second" card shop in San Antonio, says the bottom is likely to fall out of the market at some point.

"A Mark McGwire rookie card once was going for $200; now you can get it for $30," Rice says. "It's a pack mentality, whatever is hot. Unless (Gordon) goes on to have a Hall of Fame career, it will probably be worth about $500 in a few years."

Local card shop owners report modest interest.

"I got a few calls the first couple of days, then nobody gave a hoot," said Howard O'Desky, owner of Howie's Sports Cards. "It was back to, 'Go Spurs Go.'"

O'Desky said he doesn't know of anyone in San Antonio who has the card.

"We're the only major city where pro basketball is No. 1 and football is No. 2," O'Desky said. "Baseball's a distant third. Right now, there's all the hype. In a month or two the buzz will be about Vince Young and Reggie Bush (cards)."

Frank White, a five-time All-Star second baseman for the Royals from 1973-90, now manages the Wranglers. His most valuable card? About six bucks, he says with a laugh.

"It depends on where it was being sold," he said, "but it doesn't go for a heckuva lot."

Does White think Gordon would rather be known for his playing skills than for his first baseball card?

"Oh," White says, "he will be."

The 6-foot-1, 220-pound Gordon swept the college player of the year awards as a junior at Nebraska last spring. The highest pick in Royals history, he finally agreed to a $4 million signing bonus and played 16 games for Surprise in the Arizona Fall League, batting .260. Going into the weekend series with the Missions, Gordon is hitting .331.

White said it's only a matter of time before Gordon is called up.

"The old adage is you need 1,000 at-bats in the minors before you should be called up," White said. "I'm not saying he needs that, but (the Royals) have rushed guys up so often, and they haven't always done well. People end up saying, 'He's another mistake.'"

When Gordon goes up, White says, "He'll stay for a long time."

News of the Topps flub broke in mid-April, a few weeks into the season. Gordon learned of it when a friend called him to say he had just seen a Gordon rookie card go for a few hundred dollars on eBay. Gordon, unaware of the legal issues, wasn't all that impressed.

Then came an onslaught of calls from the media to the hotel where the team was staying. Gordon says he was forced to register under an assumed name to avoid the crush.

"I'm not the guy to talk to," Gordon says. "They need to talk to Topps. I had nothing to do with it."

Supply and demand

Sometimes home run totals on the back determine a card's value. Sometimes errors do.

Production errors, that is.

Topps tried to rectify its Gordon mistake by issuing copies of the card with his face cut out of the middle, or with a blank space instead of a photo. Collectors cackled all the way to the bank — as they usually do when cards become rare or notorious.

In 1989, Fleer put out a card of Baltimore Orioles infielder Billy Ripken holding a bat marked with an obscene word. Collectors paid as much as $1,200 for the card.

The most valuable card in collecting is a 1909 Honus Wagner produced by the Piedmont Tobacco company, the value of which doesn't stem from Wagner's career .327 batting average or his Hall of Fame status. Wagner demanded that the card be pulled from circulation — either because of a dispute over compensation or because he objected to the use of his image to promote tobacco products.

A Wagner card sold recently on eBay for almost $1.27 million.

The most prized post-war card is Topps' 1952 Mickey Mantle. The card was part of a late-summer issue that resulted in dead inventory as bubble-gum blowing kids turned their attention to school and football season. Most of the cards ended up on garbage barges and, eventually, at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. A few years ago, a 1952 Mantle sold for a reported $275,000.

Gordon, whose monthly salary is $1,100 — only a fraction of the value of his card — hopes Topps will send him one. But he's not holding his breath.

So, if you have one, keep this in mind before you ask Gordon to autograph it.

"I'll take it" he says, "act like I'm signing — and then take off."

Its more to do with big money set collectors in the US putting sets together. Here is some info from a mate about it all. Although he is touted as a future number 2 pick in the draft though so it may all pay off?

A scarce baseball card never intended for release is making big league headlines for Royals minor league prospect Alex Gordon.

Gordon, who has no major league playing time, did not qualify to have a card in Topps' 2006 baseball card set. Topps hurriedly pulled Gordon's card from production after the presses already had rolled.

But a few Gordon Rookie Cards (2006 Topps #297) made their way into packs and onto the open market. Now, noted collector and MSNBC newsman Keith Olbermann is taking a strong position on the card. Olbermann, a collector of 40 years with an affinity for full-set rarities, has single-handedly raised the market value of the Gordon card nearly 400 percent in the past few weeks with voracious online auction bidding.

Olbermann owns six of Gordon cards to date, including a BGS 9.5 version he recently bought for a staggering $7,500, and one that is visible in its rack pack.

"If there is a card in a set – there's a card number, if it's on a checklist and the card exists – you need it for the set," Olbermann said Thursday. "That's the simplest explanation for this. Everything else – price, scarcity, how many of them do you really need, Keith? – are sort of ancillary topics for me. I needed the card and I started saying, ‘Well, I'm gonna have a little fun and see how many of these I can get.' So, there."

Raw copies of the Gordon card have surged to $3,500 in value, although the most recent online sale closed May 8 for $2,521. Prior to Olbermann's involvement, the card had been trading hands throughout April at $900 to $1,300 regularly.

Also on the market are several "Cut Out" variations of the Gordon card, where Topps literally cut Gordon's image out of the card, leaving only an empty cardboard frame.

"We've seen many dozen copies of the ‘Cut Out' and a mere 10 to 12 copies of the scarcer ‘Full' card trading over the past two months," said Beckett Price Guide Senior Editor Grant Sandground. "Based on comparing trading levels of other inserts from Topps I Baseball, we estimate around 2,500 to 5,000 ‘Cut Outs' and about 200 to 500 full cards made their way into packs." Topps officials have stated that roughly 100 of the full Gordon cards slipped into packs.

Saga of a Banned Card In March, Beckett Baseball reported that Gordon's 2006 Topps Rookie Card (#297) was pulled from production because the Gordon had no time in the Majors. This disqualified him from inclusion based on the new Rookie Card rules instituted this off-season by the MLBPA.

Beckett Baseball also reported that a limited number of the cards had reached the secondary market. The first examples of Gordon cards reported were two "Cut Out" versions auctioned off on eBay eight days after the product's release. These cards, altered by the manufacturer so that Gordon's picture was removed, quickly sold online for $75 each.

The first "Full Copy" Gordon card was pulled by hobby shop owner Ken Fisher of Bloomington, Ill., in late February. Fisher told Beckett Baseball that he pulled the Gordon from 2006 Topps HTA Jumbo packs and said the card was headed for eBay. Burdened by an overzealous Buy it Now price of $5,000, the card failed to sell at auction but did eventually trade hands in early March for $500.

In March, Beckett Baseball reported a third distinct version of the Gordon card, a "Blank Front" card with gold foil but with no image of Gordon. The card, which was pulled from a Wal-Mart retail pack, sold for a surprisingly low $152 in an eBay auction. To date, that is the only "Blank Front" Gordon to surface.

"The ‘Blank Front' Gordon could easily be the most difficult and unique Gordon card to obtain," Sandground said. "A product like Topps is broken heavily, and for only one example to surface after two full months of market activity speaks volumes about its scarcity."

The Olbermann Effect During the last two weeks, the story has taken a dramatic turn. Confirmed sale prices of Gordon's "Full Copy" cards rose nearly 400 percent, from $500-$800 in March to confirmed sales of $2,500-$3,500 in early May. The increase can be attributed to national media interest in the Gordon situation as well as the fevered pursuit of Gordon cards by Olbermann.

"For the entirety of my collecting tenure, the thing that I always anticipated would be the time that would come when there would be a card pulled out of circulation from a mainstream, major set, presumably Topps," Olbermann said. "This is the confluence of all of the aspects of card collecting in one.

"You have a card that is withdrawn at the last minute, that isn't supposed to exist. And, well, guess what, a few of them did make it out. So, I appreciate it on a collecting level that it's scarce, but it's common enough that people know about it and some people have them and a lot of people want them. And it has the added wild card element that it's a potential great player, and it certainly is his first card. It's gotten a lot of publicity and I'm having a lot of fun."

Indeed.

To be sure, Olbermann's influence has had a substantial impact on the overall appeal of Gordon's cards, which have experienced a dramatic spike in bidding even in auctions where Olbermann is not participating.

A collecting historian who operated a publication called Collectors Quarterly in the 1970s, Olbermann said that he first became aware of the Gordon situation just last week. That's when the ultimate completist in him – Olbermann has sets in his collection spanning essentially every year from 1863 to the present Shocked – took over.

"I'm trying to cover all my options," Olbermann said. "I'm just thinking, ‘what would I do if I were going back in time?' I have no idea how this is going to turn out. It could very well be that the card is worth six bucks in 20 years, who knows?

"The idea of the price being perhaps a little higher than the previous ones went to is the gambling element of it. John Daly throws away millions of dollars at crap tables, I'm willing to throw away a couple hundred bucks here and there to overpay for a card that might grow up in value. At minimum, I'm having a lot of fun trying to collect them."

Rumour on the Beckett boards is it may have been a deliberate mistake between Topps and Walmart to get collectors back to the giant chain store again.

It has turned a $1 pack into a much sought after pack of cards, good for business I believe.
Boxes have been selling like hot cakes.

I have been tempted to buy a box but all I will end up with is a handful of commons I don't need.

Just a bit of a follow-up...I got an e-mail from a regular customer in NSW who bought one of the boxes, telling me he pulled an Alex Gordon RC!!!
I told him to join up here and share it with all of us...which he said he will when he gets backs from overseas!!!

wow

Allstar were your boxes the Walmart versions?
If so I was bidding on one of those and missed out.

I hope it wasn't one of those boxes.

#-o

They were apparently Walmart versions. They were the white boxes which didn't mention Walmart on the box like the black ones did. But the seller I got them off assured me they were from Walmart and that he'd bought them before they re-stocked with new "Gordon-less" boxes.
I had a few potential buyers going off at me for being deceptive because my listing said Walmart and the boxes didn't...well someone has proven them wrong!!

Back
Top Bottom