2014 Select Series 2

This was said well, hopefully it wasn't just words and you will actually follow through :)

It's a big step for communication between the hobby and Select.

Let's be honest guys if it wasn't for Select there might not be a hobby.

Select took over the mantle from Scanlens and have released a product every year since 93. Even through the lean years of the late 90's and early 2000's where card shops and collectors were shutting up shop.

Perhaps we need to make more of an effort to open up communication, be receptive to the fact we can't get everything we want (ME) but also inform them of the things we would like if possible.

It's going to take some give and take but i am positive that this is a turning point for Select and the card collecting hobby. :thumbsup:

I think that is great Select has posted here, I am going to send them an email about how this Steve Wang is limiting the release of Select Series II to only people who have bought Select Series I off him. A member here sent me a message and follow up email explaining the monopoly he has over the whole market, is anyone else here aware of it? or able to explain it better than I have?

I think that is great Select has posted here, I am going to send them an email about how this Steve Wang is limiting the release of Select Series II to only people who have bought Select Series I off him. A member here sent me a message and follow up email explaining the monopoly he has over the whole market, is anyone else here aware of it? or able to explain it better than I have?

I believe you are on the money here. And to make matters worse, if you bought only 2 cases of Series 1, you are only going to get 2 cases of Series 2.

Yea that side of it really annoys me, I'm not a kid I don't want champions but if I don't buy it I can't get series 2 well that's a big load of BS

Another thing that annoys me is the prices getting put up, for example I tried to get a case of future force last year from little people they had them for $980 when I went to buy 1 they told me they are sold out but I can get 1 for same price in 2 weeks when they get another shipment in, 3 days later they had them back up for sale for $1300 so I messaged them about getting 1 for the original price but surprise surprise no reply, so I messaged select about it and the way they were smashing up the prices but again got no reply.

I heard this only recently and could not understand it, Select Series I is available everywhere so of course less boxes would be bought at the local card shop, Select Series II is not available in newsagencies, petrol stations and the like so it is only natural that more boxes would want to be ordered from the retailer. Is he doing this to keep more for himself and if so why? I can only think it is to increase his profits.

Agree. Series 1 should have nothing to do with the allocation of series 2 as they are targeting 2 completely different collectors. It doesn't make any sense. It needs to be looked at before the next Future Force release if there is one.

Yea that side of it really annoys me, I'm not a kid I don't want champions but if I don't buy it I can't get series 2 well that's a big load of BS

You can still get it, it's just you have to buy it from him.

I have sent my email to Select

Its to bump up cases... this will be called sold out according to select...
it will then be sold out according to most sellers.
then boom wang will have cases at huge mark ups!
Select and wang have always been hand in hand
the fact u cant buy it is rubbish

I believe you are on the money here. And to make matters worse, if you bought only 2 cases of Series 1, you are only going to get 2 cases of Series 2.

Isn't that for Wholesale? I think if you walk in to CardZone with the cash for buying retail you can get as many as you like. That's how I have always done it. Never bought a case of series 1 in my life.

OK Mike you may be right about the wholesale thing but a retail friend of mine sent me this from JHL not Select

Dear all retailers:
The 2014 Select AFL Series 2 will be released around Mid July.
We will only send out the flyers, order form to those existing dealers who have dealed with the AFL cards from end Feb to now. The upcoming popular limited edition of 2014 AFL series 2 cards will be allocated within these retailers based on their purchase volume of AFL champions cards.
We will send out all the information at the date scheduled that will give 3-4 weeks leading time.
Please note: Any new application of online retailers will be only consideed between Jan to Feb each year.

This is what he previously had sent:

Dear All Hobby dealers:
It has brought to our attention that some retailers using AFL Series 2 or AFL Future Force as a condition to push the AFL Champions sales. Please note the following:
1.JHL Marketing has never indicated such a policy. We will take the sale quantity of AFL champions into consideration only when the quantity of limited release can not meet the demand. It is obvious that a dealer carrying more AFL champions cards during the season implied a larger customers base and should be rewarded with appropriate quantity of limited release.
2. Please be aware that there is no fixed allocation ratio of AFL Champions to the AFL series 2 or future force.
3. JHL MARKETING has no interest in forcing the Champions sales based on the condition of AFL series 2 or AFL Future Force. All retailers who carry AFL Champions should only base their selling capacity to place the AFL Champions order.
4. As it has been always the case in the past, JHL Marketing has a clear policy--: YOU ONLY ORDER WHAT YOU NEED AND WE ONLY SUPPLY WHAT YOU NEED.
5. AFL Champions is a very popular products on its own. The continuing increase in the quantity of AFL Champions is the reflection of collectors' market demand as a whole although it won't please everybody.

Even if it is limiting the wholesale prices it just means he is saving more boxes for himself to sell and less for the other retailers out there, that is the way I see it.

Kinda sucks. I agree. What is the answer though. I hate hearing about certain online sellers buying up the series two and nothing else. They don't give a fuck about the hobby. They only care about lining their pockets.

Dear Select collectors,

We appreciate your ongoing support and welcome your feedback. We take each and every comment on board as we look to continually improve the customer experience for our collectors.

Select would like to clearly state that it does not support comments made in a recent post on this forum by a Select distributor regarding Select Collector Cards. Distributors do not speak on behalf of Select. We have contacted the distributor concerned and expressed our disappointment in the comments made and reinforced the standards we expect from those engaging with Select collectors.

We welcome further input by collectors as we issue future releases and hope to include some additional innovations moving forward. We will announce details of how we propose to engage further with our collectors in the future.

Once again we appreciate your support and hope you enjoy the AFL Select Series 2 Honours release. We look forward to hearing your feedback once Series 2 has been released.

Regards
Tony Duclos
Select Australia
Good first step in the right direction! Thanks for the post, would be good to see you have a good presence here and on the other AFL card forums :)

Hi @Steve Wang , as one of the moderators here on the site, I welcome you and want to say thank you for clarifying your point of view. I would encourage you to do this more often as this is a great platform for you to share information across some 7,000 + members, some of which are customers of yours or could be potentially be customers of yours in the future.

This forum is a place for passionate collectors to come and share their views like you have done today. I understand you are speaking in an individual capacity, but if there has been similar bashing of previous Select products, what has tempted you to come and share your thoughts with us this time round?

Surely hearing a lot of negative feedback about this product would raise some level of concern with you?

I want to go through a couple of your points with you.....you may never read these or acknowledge these comments but ill say them anyway.

1) I agree that Select release products at their discretion based on their own schedules, and you are right, if you don't like a product don't buy it. However is there a point in time where Select may take the opportunity to listen to collectors, the same collectors who are their customers as to what it is that they actually want to collect and purchase?

If I were making a product that people weren't interested in and hearing this from my customer base, wouldn't it be business 101 to find out what it is your customers are actually interested in collecting? Should it be the case Select that should adjust itself not the customer?

This seems like a very arrogant approach, you get what we give you.

3) The issue with people discussing criticism here on our boards in large part is due to Select not listening to what it is the customer wants. The overriding frustration collectors have is that Select has an exclusive licence, they make what they want not what the customers want.

I would bet you that if it were a non exclusive agreement, Select would struggle greatly to sell the releases they put out and would then have to listen to their customers and adjust their products to remain profitable?

6) Could it be said that JHL holds back stock initially to create the demand for this product?

Then stock is slowly released to resellers?

8) Select has released some amazing cards over the years, they have also failed to keep up with other manufacturers in terms of technology and progressing their designs. Again, if Select was open to taking on feedback from its customers and incorporating even 10% into its new products then a lot of these criticisms would disappear.

Look at ESP in the NRL, in the time they have released their products, they have improved their offering greatly and I have no doubt that 2014 NRL Elite will be a huge success.........and the reason for this? They listen to their customer base and give them what they want.

9) Totally agree, but again people are passionate about their hobbies....I am, and I hate seeing release after release look the same as the year before. Champions 2014 looks identical to Champions 2013.

Select have an amazing opportunity to create some cutting edge cards in the Australian market....do you know what is stopping them from creating more game worn jersey cards, multi sig cards other concepts? To a lot of people this almost seems like its just too much hard work for Select.

Finally, you are right, people will vent (like I have) as they are allowed to, as its a forum here and people are entitled to have their say.

I understand that you may not come back and read this as you are busy serving your customers.....but if this release was as strong as the previous Select releases, I highly doubt you would come here and put your point across like you have.

Surely you must see that people (collectors and potential customers of yours) aren't happy with whats being offered this time round?

Regards
Matt
Matt, I agree with what you have said, I am Electrical contractor, if I was to just say put in a light switch or gpo any where I felt like putting them, then the customer would say thats not where I wanted it, do it again or I not paying you and/or no recommendations to use my services again.
You must listen to your customers or eventually you will not have any customers, it is as simple as that, I have listen to my customers and pride myself on customer service, I have a steady business and have had for some 20 odd years.

Looks as though Steve has lost over 200 cases for this release. Won't be receiving my ordered supply.
Looks like a heap of direct and 3rd party customers of Steve Wang's are going to miss out. Disappointing

Back
Top Bottom