2014 Select Series 2

With DPSs numbered high again this year you will have no probs fining them on the cheap. just wait for the first rush to be over and you will be able to get all you like cheaply

I love a cheap card. This is great. Only people that will be hurting are the box busters due to:

A) higher price of box
B) more cards produced

Usually only one of these things would create a lower price in the market, combine both and the buyers are the winners.

I heard the reason numbers went up was because Select had to pay more for the licence due to other companies being in the mix.

Let me offer my 2c from a new collector perspective.

This year was the first time ever I collected any sort of cards. My nephew (who is 9) has collected Teamcoach for a few years. I was always interested in what he was doing and this year finally decided to bite the bullet and collect some cards with him.

I bought a few boxes and heaps of individual packs plus traded and bought stuff on ebay. I am on track to have soon completed the full set of cards excluding the Gazza brownlow and Roughie premiership card. I will have probably spent by the end of it about $700+.

I had fun but mid way thru it felt the whole experience was strangely lacking and kiddyish. I had been told Select Series II was the real one to wait for. It was what serious collectors get.

So I waited. While I was waiting I analysed my collecting thoughts and I found what I was looking for was an NBA collector card type of experience. Even tho I had never collected NBA cards before from what I could tell they had a great array of rare cards, unique designs, autos, jerseys etc etc etc. Plenty of stuff to get excited about and chase. I wanted an AFL equivalent.

In the meantime having caught the collector bug I have spent about $1,000 on NBA cards, despite being a much bigger AFL than NBA fan. I was only really a big basketball fan in the 90's but still wanted the thrill and gamble of buying packs/boxes and hitting a rare card.

Finally the Select Series II is coming out and it sounds extremely disappointing. I'm not going to spend a cent on it despite originally intending to go hard with it and finally collect a more adult AFL set.

As for the distributor coming on here earlier and basically saying take what your given or pi$$ off coz we will sell out anyhow. Well that screams to me that's it's time to pull the rug out of everyone in the food chain of these cards next time the license is up for renewal!

In summary it looks like I will get my collecting card fix outside the AFL card environment.

Hope select and steve are reading this as above is a prime example of the problem. We have all these new collectors wanting to join our great hobby and they are being driven away!!

Guys this is a simple one for me. Having a Business Degree and working as an accountant has taught me to always respect your client. Your clients make the business, nothing else can. They buy the product you sell.

We have over 7000 members on this board alone. Let's all combine and say 'no' we will not buy your product. Maybe it will sell, maybe it won't. But one thing is for sure, we cannot be treated like fools. Select are an embarrassing company. I wish we had a company that cared about the client to create AFL cards! The possibilities are so limitless
and we all have good ideas about what some are.

That's just my 2 c. I will not be busting any boxes of this product.
Have a great day.

Disappointed AFL card collector
Adrian

Dear Select collectors,

We appreciate your ongoing support and welcome your feedback. We take each and every comment on board as we look to continually improve the customer experience for our collectors.

Select would like to clearly state that it does not support comments made in a recent post on this forum by a Select distributor regarding Select Collector Cards. Distributors do not speak on behalf of Select. We have contacted the distributor concerned and expressed our disappointment in the comments made and reinforced the standards we expect from those engaging with Select collectors.

We welcome further input by collectors as we issue future releases and hope to include some additional innovations moving forward. We will announce details of how we propose to engage further with our collectors in the future.

Once again we appreciate your support and hope you enjoy the AFL Select Series 2 Honours release. We look forward to hearing your feedback once Series 2 has been released.

Regards
Tony Duclos
Select Australia

Dear Select collectors,

We appreciate your ongoing support and welcome your feedback. We take each and every comment on board as we look to continually improve the customer experience for our collectors.

Select would like to clearly state that it does not support comments made in a recent post on this forum by a Select distributor regarding Select Collector Cards. Distributors do not speak on behalf of Select. We have contacted the distributor concerned and expressed our disappointment in the comments made and reinforced the standards we expect from those engaging with Select collectors.

We welcome further input by collectors as we issue future releases and hope to include some additional innovations moving forward. We will announce details of how we propose to engage further with our collectors in the future.

Once again we appreciate your support and hope you enjoy the AFL Select Series 2 Honours release. We look forward to hearing your feedback once Series 2 has been released.

Regards
Tony Duclos
Select Australia

That's all we want is to have some input on what is released, thanks for coming on and having your say much appreciated

Dear Select collectors,

Regards
Tony Duclos
Select Australia

You attract more bees with honey, well done Tony.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come :thumbsup:

Honestly, im one who has had a go right through this thread. But if select, like above had more involvement or made collectors feel they were listening. Even a simple Q&A every now and then would make a huge difference.
They dont have to devolge info of what they plan or upcoming surprises etc. But just simple things to make people feel like they are listening.
Even give feedback to why things wont work etc etc!
I dont think its that hard. And would stop the flak people give them all the time

I suppose if you have a monopoly in the industry like he and select seem to have you can, pretty much, get away with anything!!!!!

Last edited:
Pretty sure that was attempted before on the other site and they were attacked and abused. Hopefully it would get a better result a second time around. I would imagine that all the banter on here isn't even looked at. Because eventually all the trolls start to get you down. This response will more likely have come about from someone sending them an email with a link to this thread. Over the last 15-20 years I have sent them 10 or so emails and calls with feedback and suggestions and have had every one of them replied too.

Dear Select collectors,

Regards
Tony Duclos
Select Australia

This was said well, hopefully it wasn't just words and you will actually follow through :)

I suppose if you have a monopoly in the industry like he and select seem to have you can, pretty much, get away with anything!!!!!

But that's the thing - you can't get away with anything and it will eventually backfire.

Football cards are a 'nice to have' not a necessity. Monopoly or not - if people are not into the product they won't purchase it.

I really, really, really wish there was a Select product I could spend my hard earned on - believe me! But the last few years I haven't purchased any of series 2 because at the end of the day, I don't need to. Bread and milk on the other hand, that's stuff I need. Fortunately I have a heap of options when it comes to such products.

Dear Select collectors,

Regards
Tony Duclos
Select Australia

Awesome reply Tony.

Thank you kindly.

Back
Top Bottom