What we could expect for 2019 releases

Nah thats cool!

Let me ask you a question.........I go in to my local dealer who sells Footy Stars at $95 a box, im going to say to him immediately well I've seen them for $90 online why wont you match that price? They do it cause they dont want to be stuck with stock, so it sets the benchmark for the box price.

So the next reseller who has stock wants it gone and then its at $89 a box......and so on until a few people are making only a dollar or 2 margin on a box sale which pisses off all resellers. No margin = pissed off resellers.

The resellers then say why would I take the risk next time of loading up on stock (sinking their cash into sealed stock) when they can do what a lot of the smart resellers are doing these days......order stock to fill the orders they have for customers and hold very little left over. If they need it, then will order again to fill orders.

I just have to wonder with Selects mindset........they have had a few swings and misses of late.

Accoring to their "spokesman" they have plenty of the Christmas packs left.

They have now accoridng to the posts above ditched the Draft Set.

.....and now they are devaluing their product through their "official spokesperson" weeks before release?

This is on top of really pissing off their biggest wholesaler Wang who has been associated with them for many years by selling off old product cheaply (which Wang has lots invested in) to try and make a few more backdoor sales on the side via group breaks?

They really dont seem to be thinking this through much?

Sure there are 2 sides to every story but from what I can see they havent done themselves any favours of late.

I understand all that and agree somewhat but i feel you are painting a rosy picture for wang and ignoring the fact that there were many many many issues when he was involved also. People will never agree on what the best way to approach it and even now there is a large group on one side and a large grouo on the other. I like matt above just want all that bullshiting to stop and for peopke to just appreciate cards for what they are!! This hobby is ment to bring you joy and when money and politics get involved then it ruins it for everyone.

Point i was trying to make above is i feel like alot of the bad mouthing and snide remarks from both sides appears to be less about the cards and more about the personal beef that bith parties have with each other.

The facebook comment was just a person having a go at another person and masking it as a remark about cards and select in geberal. This has happened alot and lets be honest people arent being creative lol we all know who they are having a go at and what the intention of theor posts are.

As they say in semi pro. ELE - everybody love everybody

I understand all that and agree somewhat but i feel you are painting a rosy picture for wang and ignoring the fact that there were many many many issues when he was involved also. People will never agree on what the best way to approach it and even now there is a large group on one side and a large grouo on the other. I like matt above just want all that bulls***ing to stop and for peopke to just appreciate cards for what they are!! This hobby is ment to bring you joy and when money and politics get involved then it ruins it for everyone.

Point i was trying to make above is i feel like alot of the bad mouthing and snide remarks from both sides appears to be less about the cards and more about the personal beef that bith parties have with each other.

The facebook comment was just a person having a go at another person and masking it as a remark about cards and select in geberal. This has happened alot and lets be honest people arent being creative lol we all know who they are having a go at and what the intention of theor posts are.

As they say in semi pro. ELE - everybody love everybody

If you have seen my comments about the NRL release that Wang was involved with recently you will know I was very critical of it and the way he put together the product. It had some ok elements but it was put together with a mindset of its 2009..... not 2019....the market is very different now. So please don't take it as me sticking up for him.......far from it.

You are right, there are a lot of factions within the card collecting community.......on one side you have a company that is stale, and its only innovation is either copying other peoples releases, or the things they put out are just milking collectors for money (see Xmas starburst packs).

On the other side.......you have people like me who call a spade a spade and can see through a lot of the spin that they try and put out there through their "official" spokespersons. Again there is no interest like self interest.

Those that are most vocal are the ones that most benefit from it.

Select has an exclusive licence for one of the biggest sports in Australia and the best they can do is multiple versions of a Starburst card?

Are collectors supposed to be excited by that? Give me a break!

So have a guess what is Select doing for the end of the year? Copying another product (again) by releasing a Legends themed product.

I know for a fact this is happening as I have seen with my own eyes some of the cards signed by a retired AFL player, but again they are simply copying someone else's product.... as they have seen the success of another recent release (and based on a chat I had recently with THE biggest sports and collectables distributor in Australia) this competing release is just about sold out of its 400 cases.......and this is despite the fact that the Select minions were slanderous in some of their comments about it.

Again there is no interest like self interest.

Now this is a true story....... I wont name who they are but a few years ago I had someone associated directly with Select ask me what I would put into one of their releases as Select were struggling for new ideas in their products.

Now I don't collect AFL cards (I have bought 1 single card of theirs in the past 5 years) and I don't have an attachment or affiliation to any product, brand or company. I'm simply an interested observer and I know that Select simply puts out the same stuff every year and they do little to push the boundaries of what could be some amazing cards under an exclusive licence.

Anyway that's the end of my rant.......AFL collectors....go and enjoy your 25 versions of Starburst cards. I wish you well!

If you have seen my comments about the NRL release that Wang was involved with recently you will know I was very critical of it and the way he put together the product. It had some ok elements but it was put together with a mindset of its 2009..... not 2019....the market is very different now. So please don't take it as me sticking up for him.......far from it.

You are right, there are a lot of factions within the card collecting community.......on one side you have a company that is stale, and its only innovation is either copying other peoples releases, or the things they put out are just milking collectors for money (see Xmas starburst packs).

On the other side.......you have people like me who call a spade a spade and can see through a lot of the spin that they try and put out there through their "official" spokespersons. Again there is no interest like self interest.

Those that are most vocal are the ones that most benefit from it.

Select has an exclusive licence for one of the biggest sports in Australia and the best they can do is multiple versions of a Starburst card?

Are collectors supposed to be excited by that? Give me a break!

So have a guess what is Select doing for the end of the year? Copying another product (again) by releasing a Legends themed product.

I know for a fact this is happening as I have seen with my own eyes some of the cards signed by a retired AFL player, but again they are simply copying someone else's product.... as they have seen the success of another recent release (and based on a chat I had recently with THE biggest sports and collectables distributor in Australia) this competing release is just about sold out of its 400 cases.......and this is despite the fact that the Select minions were slanderous in some of their comments about it.

Again there is no interest like self interest.

Now this is a true story....... I wont name who they are but a few years ago I had someone associated directly with Select ask me what I would put into one of their releases as Select were struggling for new ideas in their products.

Now I don't collect AFL cards (I have bought 1 single card of theirs in the past 5 years) and I don't have an attachment or affiliation to any product, brand or company. I'm simply an interested observer and I know that Select simply puts out the same stuff every year and they do little to push the boundaries of what could be some amazing cards under an exclusive licence.

Anyway that's the end of my rant.......AFL collectors....go and enjoy your 25 versions of Starburst cards. I wish you well!

Oh wow. Is that why one of the FB groups has banned “non licensed” Afl cards from being sold/traded? Seems weird if you don’t give collectors a choice, but I don’t judge on what people collect. Not really into teamcoach, but gets the kids interested.

Just got the Pre-Season Fantasy Record. No ads for either Select or Teamcoach for the first time I can remember. Boo 👎

Just got the Pre-Season Fantasy Record. No ads for either Select or Teamcoach for the first time I can remember. Boo 👎
So did I today mate! Yes tell me about it! Start of season still seems an eternity away and shows it due to the crawling anticipation of the card releases and 3 clubs still yet to decide their captaincy

Two weeks out of the release of series one, let's do a recap of what we know so far:

What we know for sure:
Commons looking sharp with Guernsey number in foreground, ideal for IP signatures + girls cards as an extension of it

* Holofoils 1 per pack unless a 1:6 pack insert - based on design from last year - best looking low end silver para so far IMO: yet different players to commons or at least most of them

*🌟 bursts back for fourth season- this time in Guernsey club colours, starter parallel cards in team logo emblem design

* Milestone Game cards: looking nice on dark stadium background

* Brownlow predictors: similar to design two years ago on predominantly white background yet with more prominent foil implementation

PS
What we're PRETTY sure of in spite no binding source:

*Platinum Brownlow predictors back again: the way the foil pattern on side of box shown appears so coded that one with a metallic white foil implementation instead of gold will be in place

* No more third numbered parallel 🌟 bursts: replaced with something else

* At least another upper back end insert yet to be shown giving $3 per pack bang for your buck vor at least intending to be so

PPS
What could be left that is only speculate but realistically possible without being too optimistic:

Bronze premiership predictor /600: redemption for norm Smith medal + 4th top pick of eventual draft for all incorrect predictors as well as correct one

Silver Parallel pp /600: redemption for captain and coach holding cup + 3rd top picks for all clubs eventually

Gold pp parallel /600: All team premiership celebration card + 2nd top pick for all clubs eventually

Platinum pp parallel 001-200
Pp signature 1
Platinum pp parallel 201-400
Pp signature 2
Platinum pp parallel 401-600
Pp signature 3
+ 1st top pick for all clubs eventually /600

AFL Teamcoach Facebook page updated with a post stating - in stores 14 March 2019 (packs & albums).

Also a comp to guess the colour of the packs & albums for this year. Answer to be revealed this Friday night (22/02).

How exciting??? :eek:

AFL Teamcoach Facebook page updated with a post stating - in stores 14 March 2019 (packs & albums).

Also a comp to guess the colour of the packs & albums for this year. Answer to be revealed this Friday night (22/02).

How exciting??? :eek:
Grange Wallis has confirmed he is the artist for the Star Wildcards again too.

Looking similar to last year so far with a few substitutions.

Commons/diecuts same
Instant Impact replaces Selex (111 card set - 108 card set)
Strike Force replaces A-Graders (54 card set?)
??? replaces black starburst
Predictors the same?

I read elsewhere mate that there are four more previews to come prior to release day (Monday 4th March). It will be interesting to see what else there is to reveal.

I’m not a fan of the Brownlow predictors in their most recent format (i.e. “x” number of players per club, instead of just a generic predictor) - but it would seem that they will continue in that form.

I read elsewhere mate that there are four more previews to come prior to release day (Monday 4th March). It will be interesting to see what else there is to reveal.

I’m not a fan of the Brownlow predictors in their most recent format (i.e. “x” number of players per club, instead of just a generic predictor) - but it would seem that they will continue in that form.

I can’t understand why people don’t like the predictors like they are

It adds much more interest to what is happening, and if you just had a generic predictor or less per team like others have suggested you would either have to have a much reduced prize or the cards would only be found in very few boxes so buying boxes would become redundant

Looking at the social media report, it's giving me the impression that the eventual correct BP this year will NOT be a signature concept, or at least the gold variant anyway. If so can understand why if it's too much trouble for select tracking down the player and it might just be consolidated with the top ends in series ii and iii later this year? Lmk if you're heard something else?

I was told that the 300 Game cards where Shannon Grant and Ben Hart.... anyone else heard the same?
However don’t quote me

Surely they could find a 300 game player who acts less like an animal than Shannon Grant to put on a case card. I know off field behaviour is unrelated to on field performance, but he is a disgraceful person.

Surely they could find a 300 game player who acts less like an animal than Shannon Grant to put on a case card. I know off field behaviour is unrelated to on field performance, but he is a disgraceful person.

But has played 300 games and was going to get one eventually. I reckon the more disappointing thing is i read somewhere that Kevin Bartlett wont ever have a 300 game case card as he refuses to take part, not sure why. Doesnt bother me as i only collect the Hawks ones but i know how disappointed I'd be if Leigh Matthews or Shane Crawford had said no.

nice looking cards this year.

IMO the best looking BP since the concept began in 2016: believe a parallel in metallic white as opposed to gold would look tops too

Back
Top Bottom