Official 2011-2012 Playoff thread

this is going to be a crackerjack of a series, and i really dont care who wins as these are two of my fave teams!!! part of me wants to see lebron get his first ring, part of me wants to see okc build a dynasty as durant is just awesome! WEDNESDAY CANT COME QUICK ENOUGH!!!!!!!
do you think the big three---mean big four are done in beantown??? or do they have another run in them????

this is going to be a crackerjack of a series, and i really dont care who wins as these are two of my fave teams!!! part of me wants to see lebron get his first ring, part of me wants to see okc build a dynasty as durant is just awesome! WEDNESDAY CANT COME QUICK ENOUGH!!!!!!!
do you think the big three---mean big four are done in beantown??? or do they have another run in them????
I dont think the Big 3 in beantown will have anymore left in the tank, their age is really catching up on them. But in saying that, if Ainge kept them together and add a couple of reliable, consistent pieces, they could get back deep in the playoffs next season.

I don't see KG leaving Boston until he is politely told that his Parish-like longevity has come to an end and it's time to hang up the laces. Pierce is certain to go on. Ray-Ray will enjoy coming off the bench 'n increasing the gap between himself and Reggie. Doc ain't lettin Rondo go anywhere. To me, they stay together for another run, just in a slightly altered composition.

Interesting stat I heard today -

If the Thunder win they would be the youngest team in the history of the NBA to win a championship. The current holder of that record is the 1976-77 Portland trailblazers.

I heard this a little while ago and thought it sounded odd because OKC have indeed got a few 30+ year old player, so I had a quick look at the rosters from both teams.

The average age of the 76-77 Blazers worked out to 24.6 and the average age of the Thunder now, is 26.6.

So I am not sure how that stat came about?? The only thing I can think of is that they are talking about the average age BEFORE the Thunder signed 37 yr old Derek Fisher?? I don't know who the waived from the roster when they signed him?

I think you had to have played x amount of minutes to qualify. They did not include the bench players not getting much time.

Portland was 24 odd and OKC was 23 odd from memory.

I think you had to have played x amount of minutes to qualify. They did not include the bench players not getting much time.

Portland was 24 odd and OKC was 23 odd from memory.

Fair enough!
I like how they add an extra 'criteria' in to achieve the record they are after! lol

I heard the other day like - "Lebron became the first person to score 45-15-5 in a Game 6 Playoff's game since the 60's" :confused:
Uhhhh, 15 and 5 are not milestones :lol:

Miami are going into it as underdogs into the Finals; even the bookies are giving 3 to 1 on the Heat winning game 1.
Looks like there is only a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of Miami Heat supporters here. Lebron has had a tremendous playoff run, elevating his game in each of the first three round, and I'm really rooting for him and the Heat to win the title.

I liken the Lebron James situation to Tiger Woods: he is the greatest thing going for golf right now, and yet the media are trying to over analyse and scrutinize everything that he does. "Oh, he faked his injury to pull out of the tournament. Oh, he threw a tantrum after an errant drive. Oh, he needs to make changes to his swing. Oh, his caddy wrote a book about him, let's focus on the negative aspects of that book".
Tiger is about the only reason I would tune in to watch golf, and each time he wins, the media starts back pedaling and heaping praises on him. However, rest assured that when he falters in the following event, they pounce on him and question if he's still the same Tiger and fill the press with so many negative headlines.

We should be trying to uplift our superstars, not making villians out of them. We should be celebrating their talent and cherishing their victories and giving them the respect they deserve even in defeat. Without them, there wouldn't be the sport that we all love and enjoy being a part of. Go Heat!!!!

Miami are going into it as underdogs into the Finals; even the bookies are giving 3 to 1 on the Heat winning game 1.
Looks like there is only a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of Miami Heat supporters here. Lebron has had a tremendous playoff run, elevating his game in each of the first three round, and I'm really rooting for him and the Heat to win the title.

I liken the Lebron James situation to Tiger Woods: he is the greatest thing going for golf right now, and yet the media are trying to over analyse and scrutinize everything that he does. "Oh, he faked his injury to pull out of the tournament. Oh, he threw a tantrum after an errant drive. Oh, he needs to make changes to his swing. Oh, his caddy wrote a book about him, let's focus on the negative aspects of that book".
Tiger is about the only reason I would tune in to watch golf, and each time he wins, the media starts back pedaling and heaping praises on him. However, rest assured that when he falters in the following event, they pounce on him and question if he's still the same Tiger and fill the press with so many negative headlines.

We should be trying to uplift our superstars, not making villians out of them. We should be celebrating their talent and cherishing their victories and giving them the respect they deserve even in defeat. Without them, there wouldn't be the sport that we all love and enjoy being a part of. Go Heat!!!!
There are plenty of Heat supporters here but I think most of the time its best for us just to watch the game than exchange opinions with Heat haters specially the Lebron haters. I really think that this is the year when people will see Lebron gets his first ring. The Heat is very unpredictable with what they'll do in each game. But if Wade can attack the rim with success then we should see the Heat beat the Thunder in the finals. I like our chances now that Bosh is back. ;)

Understand your thoughts, and agree on the most part, except imo, professional athletes need to earn or at least maintain respect, not take it for granted. Some of the things players like Lebron and many others have done are not deserving of respect.
And Woods is probably a bad example too, because he was held in the highest respect possible until he made some terrible decisions and tarnished his own reputation. It's not like people out of the blue started hating on him!

Just like ANY celebrity, they are idolised until THEY stuff up. Then they realise that the only way to repair the damage is to work twice as hard as they did before!

The two of them, Lebron and Tiger, are parallels of each other in their own sport. Both were at the peak of their popularity and skills (arguably Lebron hasn't even peaked at that respect :) ) when both of them made a couple of ill adviced decisions and both are being potrayed as villains as a result of it, without any of it to do with anything on court or on the golf course.
What exactly does Tiger's personal life got anything to do with any of us? What does that got to do with the game of golf? Why focus on this negative part of his life? It's so easy to tear someone down when he's on the downward spiral and has made the wrong decision, it's so easy to just point from our moral high horse and detest them isn't it.
We all are familiar with what Lebron's done with his infamous "decision", poorly structured public comments, etc. It seemed like a good idea at the time, to give the proceeds of the "decision" to charity for that segment of airtime, at least, in Lebron's mind it was. He's not a politician, he's got an awful PR manager working for him and giving him the wrong advice, and he's not the most eloquent speaker as an ambassador for basketball. Charles said it best, "
I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids."
What he is, is an extraordinary athlete, and may possibly be one of the best there ever will be when all is said and done. Don't hate on him just because of a public relations stint gone wrong. It's petty and I think life is bigger than that. Ask yourself, what is the worst thing that this man's ever done? And in retrospective, it really ain't that big a deal.

Far out - this Lebron thing was 2 years ago now. Everyone just needs to get over it and enjoy the show these guys put on. Over hearing about it.

Back
Top Bottom