Garnett To Celts??

ps. werent the nuggets trying to get rid of Camby. Imagine a Frontcourt of KG and Camby haha, probally wont have the money to sign him anyway :woot:

are their any good FA PG or vets available???

I've just been reading that the Celts have agreed to add another 4 years onto KG's contract and he seems to be ok with it. Both the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News are reporting the trade is all but done

A little more from the TWolves persepective....

Analysis: Wolves would be young if KG goes
By Kent Youngblood, Star Tribune

Last update: July 30, 2007 – 11:33 PM

In one day the Timberwolves could go from worrying about the present to thinking of the future. From trying to build around Kevin Garnett to moving on without him. You can bet the Wolves, if they complete a trade sending Kevin Garnett to Boston, will try to convince fans that youth will be served. Here's some advice: Be patient.

The reported deal would bring youngsters Al Jefferson, Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green and Ryan Gomes to the Wolves along with Theo Ratliff's expiring contract. That will leave Minnesota with a ballooning roster filled with youth. There will be nine players age 24 or younger.

"One thing is for sure," Wolves veteran forward Mark Madsen said. "[If the trade happens] there will be a lot of opportunity for guys to step up. In one fell swoop we'd go from being an older team to being one of the youngest."

But you can expect some growing pains. The Wolves will be losing a hard-working elite player who has led the league in rebounding and could be counted on for 20-plus points per game.

Without that focal point, the Wolves will be looking to their young players to provide leadership, with second-year point guard Randy Foye one who will be expected to fill a lot of that void.

The good news:

• Jefferson, who by all accounts is a key to this deal for the Wolves, is coming off a breakthrough season. He will give the Wolves solid low-post scoring and rebounding ability.

• Green is a young but promising player who could turn into a reliable scorer.

• Telfair has had his scrapes with the law. But he has, recently, shown signs of maturing. If he can get his head on straight, he will add much-needed depth at point guard.

• The deal -- and the fact that the Wolves will be able to wipe away the salaries of Ratliff ($11.67 million) and Ricky Davis ($6.817 million) after next year, will put the Wolves in very good shape against the league's salary cap going forward.

And now the bad:

• There is a serious lack of experience at some key positions. Among them is point guard (both Foye and Telfair are relatively young) and small forward, where the list includes Green, Gomes and rookie Corey Brewer.

• The Wolves roster, after the reported move, would stand at 17, two over the maximum. The team is negotiating with point guard Troy Hudson for a buyout, and there is a chance Ratliff, coming off back surgery, might not play for the Wolves. Still, further moves will have to be made. The trade, a clear sign the Wolves have committed to start over, could signal the coming of more moves. The team might decide there isn't room for some other veterans in a dedicated youth movement.

The bottom line? The Wolves likely will have to take a step back competitively before taking many steps forward.

Here is how the Wolves' roster would look if the trade, as reported, goes through:

Point guard: Foye, Telfair and Hudson. The Wolves will bet that Foye becomes a leader, Telfair becomes an adult and Hudson becomes a memory.

Shooting guard: Davis, Marko Jaric, Trenton Hassell, Rashad McCants. Some of these names could be gone by the time the season starts. But as it stands, Davis can score and Jaric can play three positions. This is a make-or-break year for McCants.

Small forward: Corey Brewer, Gomes, Green. A lot of potential here, but not a lot of track record, at least not yet.

Power forward: Juwan Howard, Jefferson, Madsen, Craig Smith, Chris Richard. Talk about big shoes to fill.

Center: Mark Blount, Ratliff. Ratliff is coming off back surgery that all but wiped out his 2006-07 season.

Haha!!!

Well and truly official now... and KG looks like he's signed up for a few more years too...

Sources: Celtics, Wolves agree to Garnett megadeal - NBA - ESPN

I don't understand how he makes $100mill over the 4 years - I thought deals like that didn't happen any more....totally sick money.

I'm hoping he wears #2 in Boston in memory of his mate Malik Sealy - is #2 retired there??

100 million dollars. wow maybe his agent was Dr Evil? At the very least the celtics will be a great team to watch this year and I cant wait till the season starts again. And heres a question for LJANDKG, if he wears another number does that mean you have to get the the same cards again for your collection but the new number or will you start again just with the Celtic cards or do you just carry on with number twenty one?

100 million dollars. wow maybe his agent was Dr Evil? At the very least the celtics will be a great team to watch this year and I cant wait till the season starts again. And heres a question for LJANDKG, if he wears another number does that mean you have to get the the same cards again for your collection but the new number or will you start again just with the Celtic cards or do you just carry on with number twenty one?

Yeah bit of a bummer with the number change, I'm thinking collect what he's wearing on the card - #21 foir Minny cards and whatever no. he wears on beantown for those cards.....

Glen Taylor trying to soften me and thousands of T Wolves fans up:

Dear AJ,

I write to you today with some momentous news. Earlier today, we decided to fundamentally change the direction of our team and trade Kevin Garnett. We acquired Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and two first-round draft picks from Boston. We're excited about the new players that we have acquired and the potential that the new draft picks represent.

As with any great change, I am filled with mixed emotions. Sadness in seeing our franchise player depart but also great excitement in what the future holds. Our team is definitely young, but also extremely talented. Our core group of Randy Foye, Craig Smith, Rashad McCants, 2007 NBA Draft picks Corey Brewer and Chris Richard and the newly acquired players plus two future first-round picks have me energized about our long-term future.

Yes, I'll miss Kevin Garnett. For 12 years Kevin has been the face of our franchise. We have all watched him grow and mature from "The Kid" into "The Big Ticket" right before our very eyes. I appreciate everything he has done for this franchise; the blood, the sweat and the tears that he has shed on our behalf. I wish only the best for Kevin and his family.

However, this move was made in the best interest of the Minnesota Timberwolves and regaining our place among the best teams in the NBA. During the past three years, we have struggled unsuccessfully to assemble a team around Kevin that could bring us back to the playoffs. These years have been hard on all of us. During this time it has become increasingly apparent to me that given the complicated formulas needed to move and acquire players, we needed greater flexibility. To move our team forward, we will need the flexibility this trade provides.

This past spring, I sat down with the team's top executives and drafted a plan on how we wanted to rebuild our team. We evaluated our successes and failures over the years and looked to other franchises on how they built winning teams. The result of this reflection was the "Blueprint for the Future" that I shared with many of you. This plan outlined how we planned to rebuild our team. It was our acknowledgment that we had strayed from building a team that didn't just speak of character, but rather lived it. A team more focused on working as a team than seeking individual recognition.

We took that first step today. We know it won't be easy - nothing that is worthwhile ever is. We know that we are embarking on a journey that will be measured in years, not months. We understand that every team in professional sports is in a never-ending cycle of death and rebirth. I wholly believe that it is our time to give birth to a new team that will return our Timberwolves franchise to the elite of the NBA.

I appreciate your continued support as we undergo this transformation and urge you to follow our progress. I am convinced that you will like what you see and believe that it will mean only better days ahead. Please feel free to contact any of my staff with additional questions.

Regards,

Glen Taylor

NBA.com...

The Minnesota Timberwolves announced Tuesday the team has acquired forwards Al Jefferson, Gerald Green and Ryan Gomes, guard Sebastian Telfair and center Theo Ratliff, along with two first-round draft picks and cash considerations from the Boston Celtics in exchange for forward Kevin Garnett. The Timberwolves will receive Boston's 2009 first-round selection and Minnesota will get back the first-round draft pick the team traded to the Celtics in a January 2006 trade.

A press conference and media availability with Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, Vice President of Basketball Operations Kevin McHale and newly acquired players will be held Wednesday, Aug. 1 at 7 p.m. in the skyway level of Target Center. All interview requests will be deferred until Wednesday's press conference.

"This trade is about improving the Minnesota Timberwolves and improving our team for the future," said Timberwolves Vice President of Basketball Operations Kevin McHale. "The past few seasons our on-court performance has been disappointing to our fans, myself, Glen Taylor and the entire organization. Through this trade, we have obtained very talented, young players with a lot of potential, future flexibility with the salary cap and two future first-round NBA draft picks. This will not be an overnight fix, but it is the big step in renewing our commitment to build an exciting franchise for our fans."

"Personally, I want to thank Kevin for all of his hard work through the years and what he has meant to the Timberwolves franchise," McHale said. "He has been a tremendous player who has always given everything he has on the court. I wish him only the best for his future and the rest of his career."

"I want express my appreciation to Kevin for everything that he has done for the Timberwolves organization - both on and off the court," added Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor. "His work ethic is unmatched and he has developed into one of the all-time greats. I want to wish him and his family the best in the future."

"I know we are giving up a great player, however, we are gaining very talented young players and draft picks in return," Taylor said. "I am really excited about the future of the Minnesota Timberwolves. We have put together the building blocks for the future by adding quality young talent as well as future first-round picks in this trade to go along with our solid, young nucleus of Randy Foye, Craig Smith, Rashad McCants, Corey Brewer, and Chris Richard. We are young, but we are also extremely talented. Our fans will really enjoy watching this core group play and grow together for years to come."

Jefferson, the 15th overall pick by the Celtics in the 2004 NBA Draft, averaged a double-double with 16.0 ppg (.514 FG%) and 11.0 rpg in 33.6 mpg in 69 games (60 starts) last season. The 6-10 forward more than doubled both his scoring and rebounding output from the previous campaign (7.9 ppg and 5.1 rpg in 18.0 mpg). His 69 games played in 2006-07 fell one game short of the league minimum to qualify his 11.0 rpg amongst the league leaders, which would have ranked seventh in that category. Last season, Jefferson ranked 12th in the NBA in total rebounds (756) and defensive rebounds (519) as well as 11th in offensive rebounds (237) and ninth in defensive rebounds per game (7.5). Jefferson was recently selected by USA Basketball as one of the "young elites" in the NBA that will participate in scrimmages against Team USA this summer as they prepare for Olympic qualifying. The 22-year-old forward was drafted directly out of high school (Prentiss High School/Mississippi).

Green, 21 years of age, was selected 18th overall out of high school (Gulf Shores Academy/Texas) by Boston in the 2005 NBA Draft. After averaging 5.2 points, 1.3 rebounds and 11.7 minutes per game in 32 contests as a rookie for the Celtics (2005-06), Green finished the 2006-07 campaign with averages of 10.4 points, 2.6 rebounds and 22.0 minutes per game in 81 games (26 starts). The 6-8 forward/guard won the 2007 NBA Slam Dunk contest at the NBA All-Star Game in Las Vegas.

Gomes, a 6-7 forward from Providence College, finished his collegiate career as the Friars' all-time leading scorer with 2,138 points and fifth in rebounds with 1,028. In 2006-07, Gomes posted averages of 12.1 points (.467 FG%) and 5.6 rebounds in 31.2 minutes per game in 73 games (60 starts). In two seasons with the Celtics, Gomes has appeared in 134 games (93 starts) and has averaged 10.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg and 27.2 mpg. Gomes, 25, was drafted in the second round (50th overall) in the 2005 NBA Draft.

A 12-year NBA veteran with 679 games played, Ratliff comes to the Timberwolves with career averages of 8.0 ppg, 6.2 rpg and 2.6 bpg. He put together his best season as a pro during the 2000-01 season when he averaged career highs of 12.4 ppg, 8.3 rpg and a league best 3.7 bpg despite missing 32 games with injuries. He appeared in only two games for the Celtics last season due to injury.

Telfair, the 13th pick by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2004 NBA Draft, played in 78 games (30 starts) with the Celtics in 2006-07, averaging 6.1 ppg, 2.8 apg and 20.2 mpg. Telfair (22), a 2004 McDonald's All-American, led Abraham Lincoln High School to three New York City PSAL titles and finished his prep career as the State of New York's all-time leading scorer, surpassing former NBA player Kenny Anderson.The 6-0 guard was drafted directly out of high school.

Garnett, a 10-time NBA All-Star, averaged 20.5 points (.491 FG%, .780 FT%), 11.4 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 38.3 minutes per game in 927 regular-season contests (890 started) in 12 seasons for the Timberwolves. In 2006-07, Garnett appeared in 76 games (all starts) and posted averages of 22.4 ppg (.476 FG%) and 12.8 rpg. It marked the fourth straight season Garnett topped the league in rebounding. Garnett enjoyed his best year in 2003-04 as he won the NBA MVP Award after posting career highs in scoring (24.2 ppg) and rebounding (13.9 rpg - a league best), and setting 11 franchise single-season records. Drafted fifth overall by the Timberwolves in the 1995 NBA Draft, Garnett became the first player in more than 20 years to be drafted directly out of high school.

Well I can definately say who got the better end of that deal....

Al Jefferson
Gerald Green
Ryan Gomes
Sebastian Telfair
Theo Ratliff
2x first-round draft picks and cash considerations....

or

KG

Hmmmm.....

Tough choice...

Sure, Rattliff and Telfair probably won't be much at all, but Al, Green & Gomes are ALL great quality players!

Gomes was great for the Celts last year, if he provides the Wolves the same game-style, and Al brings his punch, I'm sure the Wolves will make some noise.

I also believe that the Celts will make some noise too, but I don't believe they have any decent support coming off the bench....

Well I can definately say who got the better end of that deal....

Al Jefferson
Gerald Green
Ryan Gomes
Sebastian Telfair
Theo Ratliff
2x first-round draft picks and cash considerations....

or

KG

Hmmmm.....

Tough choice...

Sure, Rattliff and Telfair probably won't be much at all, but Al, Green & Gomes are ALL great quality players!

Gomes was great for the Celts last year, if he provides the Wolves the same game-style, and Al brings his punch, I'm sure the Wolves will make some noise.

I also believe that the Celts will make some noise too, but I don't believe they have any decent support coming off the bench....

Provided all the young talent does not leave... I think it benefits both teams. Celtics short term - Twolves long term.

I think it just stinks... but at least KG finally gets a genuine chance to win a Championship.

Green is not a great talent - he's the 2nd coming of Harold Miner!!

Gomes will be a good player who is a free agent in a year and will bolt.

Jefferson will be a 20-10 guy by the sounds of it.....

Here is a pic....

capt.6f293bd2649b4c2aaae709f1e5b26400.celtics_garnett_basketball_mack103.jpg

Back
Top Bottom