Garnett To Celts??

Ryanm2117

Charles Oakley
Real Name
Ryan
eBay User
ryanm2117
Doubt it but interesting for Boston if it happens with Allen, Pierce and Garnett together in the East.

Sources: Celtics close to deal for Garnett
Jeff Goodman
FOXSports.com, Updated 19 minutes ago

The on-again, off-again deal with the Boston Celtics acquiring Kevin Garnett apparently is back on.

According to sources, the current deal on the table has the 6-foot-11 Garnett heading to Boston and the Celtics dealing away Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff's hefty expiring contract and Rajon Rondo. There may also be other players and draft picks involved.
It's not quite done, but three industry sources — including one close to the Celtics — told FOXSports.com that it's extremely close and could become official within the next 48 hours.

"It's basically done," one source said. "If it does happen, this will make the Celtics relevant again."

Celtics boss Danny Ainge attempted to trade for the Minnesota Timberwolves star forward prior to the NBA Draft, but the 31-year-old perennial All-Star had no interest in heading to Boston.

However, things may have changed now that Ainge and the Celtics pulled off the draft day deal with Seattle for Ray Allen.

There have been numerous discussions during the last week between Ainge and Wolves vice president Kevin McHale, who are good friends dating back to their days playing together on the Celtics.

Garnett has the option to get out of his contract — which pays $22 million next season — after the 2008 campaign and become a free agent. He averaged 22.4 points and 12.8 rebounds per game last season — his 12th in the NBA.

Garnett is a 10-time NBA All-Star and was the league's MVP in 2004. He is also one of the better defensive players in the NBA.

The deal would give Ainge a team that could compete with anyone in the Eastern Conference with the trio of Paul Pierce, Garnett and Allen. The Celtics would also have nearly $60 million in salaries between the three players for next season alone.

The Wolves would get one of the league's top young players in the 22-year-old Jefferson, who averaged 16 points and 11 boards in 69 games a year ago, and a second-year point guard in Rondo with plenty of potential. They would also get Ratliff's $11.7 million salary, which will come off the books after this season.

I dont see this putting the Celtics over the top...

Al Jefferson is a beast down low (and young) and dealing away Rondo who's there only PG option at the min??

interesting package, but minny doesn't get much in return, i don't know they wanna do it..... but could be materialized since in 12 months, they will not even get a thing from KG.

WOW. This is preety much a done deal!
I am very sad to see Big AL go but short term, we have a team that could win us a championship in the space of 1-3 years. 3 All Stars, 1 Future All Star (G.Green) and Tony Allen to be moulded into a gun PG. We also still have Baby Davis and Perkins up front to help KG. Bill Russell is back in bean town :thumbsup:

PG - T.Allen
SG - R.Allen
SF - P.Pierce
PF - K.Garnett
C- K.Perkins
-
6th - G.Green
G.Davis

I cant complain, one of my teams just may win a championship sooner rather than later ;)
What an All Star team :eek:

Sorry guys, not convinced...

Ray Allen wouldnt make THAT much of a difference for KG to want to play in Boston now.

But, should this deal do go through, the T'Wolves are getting Al, Theo & What??? Nothing but picks? Sorry, but the Wolves sucked last season, and will definately be battling Memphis for the bottom rung on the NBA Ladder if they do this deal.

I would have expected the Wolves to want more for KG. Talk about under-valuing theirselves... (or KG).

Back to Boston... who's going to take the middle, they'll have Perkins, and KG????? Next to no one else.. Perk can play 10 mins before racking up 4 fouls....

Sorry guys, not convinced...

Ray Allen wouldnt make THAT much of a difference for KG to want to play in Boston now.

But, should this deal do go through, the T'Wolves are getting Al, Theo & What??? Nothing but picks? Sorry, but the Wolves sucked last season, and will definately be battling Memphis for the bottom rung on the NBA Ladder if they do this deal.

I would have expected the Wolves to want more for KG. Talk about under-valuing theirselves... (or KG).

Back to Boston... who's going to take the middle, they'll have Perkins, and KG????? Next to no one else.. Perk can play 10 mins before racking up 4 fouls....

What he said.....although I do think it'd make the Celts a contender in the west, great slasher like Pierce, KG's all round game and Allen hitting 3's...would be nice to watch....

What he said.....although I do think it'd make the Celts a contender in the west, great slasher like Pierce, KG's all round game and Allen hitting 3's...would be nice to watch....

Is the city of Boston being moved to the west? :lol: :p

Hey its better than getting nothing!!! Maybe we are expetcing naother crap year and to move on from there? WHo knows... but I won't complain about KG playing cor Boston.

The T-Wolves may finally be pulling the pin on the KG Era; getting Rondo, Jefferson and a first round draft pick next year (as well as Ratliff's expiring contract) to pair with McCants, Smith, Foye and Brewer, and you have a nice young group; maybe not great or even playoff contenders for a few years, but its step away from doing nothing.

I cant imagine Boston wanting to take on Garnett's massive contract and the risk of losing Jefferson and Rondo for nothing if KG bolts... but having Allen, Pierce and KG shows that the Celtics are serious about winning now; how long the window of winning remains open.

One thing that shows this deal may not go ahead is Allan Ray being waived recently...

I don't think it's a done deal, I watched ESPN last night in LA and the words were Jefferson, Ratliff and possibly a draft pick for KG. Everyone knows that the talks have NEVER ended and Boston definitely want KG, but they certainly don't want to give up Big Al (I wouldn't think). They would be stupid if they did, Big Al can put up KG numbers, he showed that last season when put into the starting line-up. We can have KG numbers in Big Al for years to come, or, we can have KG for a only few more years. And if things don't go as planned, KG might leave after his contract exprires and we are left with nothing. I think Boston will wait until Minni gets more deperate to get a return before KG leaves Minni as a Free Agent.
I'd love to see KG in a Celtics uni with that line-up, but at the expense of Jefferson? not so sure. I have read reports that the Celtics might not be able to hold onto him anyway when it comes to having to re-sign Big Al.

I don't think it's a done deal, I watched ESPN last night in LA and the words were Jefferson, Ratliff and possibly a draft pick for KG. Everyone knows that the talks have NEVER ended and Boston definitely want KG, but they certainly don't want to give up Big Al (I wouldn't think). They would be stupid if they did, Big Al can put up KG numbers, he showed that last season when put into the starting line-up. We can have KG numbers in Big Al for years to come, or, we can have KG for a only few more years. And if things don't go as planned, KG might leave after his contract exprires and we are left with nothing. I think Boston will wait until Minni gets more deperate to get a return before KG leaves Minni as a Free Agent.
I'd love to see KG in a Celtics uni with that line-up, but at the expense of Jefferson? not so sure. I have read reports that the Celtics might not be able to hold onto him anyway when it comes to having to re-sign Big Al.

Brad is Jeff that good? I seriously don't know and I'm asking - I mean 16 pts 11 boards on a crap team does not maketh the man... U think he can be a 23-13-5 guy for years to come?? There's only a few that good and I thought Al Jeff woulda been a bit more talked about if he was gonna be that good...

The hook on this deal is definitely whether KG says he'll stay after this year. If not the celts are stuffed - if he agrees to stay they could be contenders for as long as KG/Allen/Pierce stay healthy - KG isn't faltering yet - 22-13-4 last year, Allen has injury worries but says he's fine and Pierce has had a few too....

Go Celtics..?

Source: Celtics, Timberwolves agree to send Garnett to Boston
By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer
AP - Jul 30, 4:40 pm EDT

BOSTON (AP) -- Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told The Associated Press on Monday.

Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice.

The teams still had some things to clarify with the players' contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves.

There was a chance that a conference call announcing the trade would be held Monday, the official said.

Garnett, 31, has spent all of his 12 NBA seasons with Minnesota. He would get an extension of his contract, which has one year plus an option year remaining, the official said.

The Celtics had tried to get Garnett late last month, but his agent said he didn't want to go to Boston.

Since then, Boston acquired seven-time All-Star guard Ray Allen from Seattle in a draft day deal. Already with Paul Pierce, the Celtics would become instant contenders in the mediocre Atlantic Division with Garnett, even without promising forward Jefferson.

The Celtics obtained Allen and the 35th pick of the draft for guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak, and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown, whom they drafted with the fifth pick.

The Celtics have won just three playoff series during Pierce's nine years with them. They still have an NBA-record 16 championships, but none since 1986.

"They have no excuses, this team out there," Danny Ainge, the executive director of basketball operations, said after Allen was acquired.

Pierce, 29, led the Celtics in scoring last season but played only 47 games because of injury.

Allen, who turns 32 next month, averaged a career-high 26.4 points last season, his 11th, but underwent surgery to remove bone spurs on both ankles that required him to wear protective boots. He is expected to be ready for training camp.

Big news for Celts fans all around!!!

Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice.

Still not convinced that the Wolves are getting the best bang for their buck...

Al Jefferson, sure he's good, and has a lot of potential, but still...

Telfair? NEXT!

Green, great pickup, this guys gonna be really good soon!!

Ratliff? See Telfair.

With the Wolves already with Ricky D, Foye, Hassell, Hudson, Jaric, R-Mac, & now Bracey Wright, where will Green fit in??

Hassell, Hudson & Jaric might not be All-Stars, but these guys are great off the bench.

Madsen & Blount are the only C's on the Wolves Roster.... I wonder if this will be a problem for their defensive matchups?

Big news for Celts fans all around!!!

Still not convinced that the Wolves are getting the best bang for their buck...

Al Jefferson, sure he's good, and has a lot of potential, but still...

Telfair? NEXT!

Green, great pickup, this guys gonna be really good soon!!

Ratliff? See Telfair.

With the Wolves already with Ricky D, Foye, Hassell, Hudson, Jaric, R-Mac, & now Bracey Wright, where will Green fit in??

Hassell, Hudson & Jaric might not be All-Stars, but these guys are great off the bench.

Madsen & Blount are the only C's on the Wolves Roster.... I wonder if this will be a problem for their defensive matchups?
Ratliff has a monster expiring contract, its not the player they want, its his deal that comes off the books at the end of the year

well including both Al and Green could hurt a little but i suppose it needs to be done if you want to aqquire the best PF in the game :thumbsup:
No championship since 86 and the Celtics have been almost laughable for the last few seasons, its quite clear that Ainge wants a team that can put us in the front seat to win a Championship over the next 1-3 seasons and not a team that we will have to wait and see develop over the next 3-5 years just to become a playoff contender.
I dont mind it, you cant say that alot of our youngsters have prooven anything as of yet and their is a draft every year.
Big Al is a phenomanal big and could well be an All Star but KG is way to big of an offer and we now have 3 All Stars on the one team hahah.
I just hope T.Allen doesnt get dealt, that will make me really pissed :(

here is one source. Quite a bit to give up, Jefferson/Gomes/Green and a 1st round pick but good to see Tony isnt being included :D

One involved source said the final package will have the Celts sending Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and a No. 1 pick to Minnesota to acquire Garnett.

this will be final over the next 24 hours i recon but the players involved inst concrete just yet.

I just want it to be done. All this speculation is killing me. Although if KG goes to Celtics gonna be harder to get some of his decent cards from now on!

Back
Top Bottom