Ever seen one of these autos??

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
I got a suprise package in the mail courtesy of my mate Ty the mod on becketts forum. For a free card he's blown me away! :shock: I've helped in out in the past and he wanted to say thanks but this :shock:

I bring you a Reggie Lewis auto. A sad story and was the end of the Celts being contenders and changed the teams history and direction. Still its one of the holy grails for Celts auto fans. :D

Thanks Ty! Unbelievable gesture mate! I still can't believe it.

reggieauto.jpg

wow, that is great, such a shame about him , it was a heart problem ,wasnt it?

Fill me in, who was Reggie Lewis (too lazy to do research on the net).

Was pretty special of Ty to do that aye!

Another TTM Auto for your Collection. You got a nice load of TTMs bud!

LOL You serious mavs? Its a hard TTM to get these days. :-P

Its not a ttm either, its from a store signing back in 1992 before his unfortunate death. A lot of players did that before contracts for card autos like today. It has a COA too and TY has bought other autos off him before and has submitted them to psa/dna and all have passed as authentic.

Yeah, soz, once again, lack of knowledge (or ignorance - you chose).

So who was he?
I assumed he had passed, since you mentioned about how hard it was etc.

I didnt know players signed like that back then. I always assumed cards were signed in person at games, or press confereneces etc.

whoa great card chad thats so amazing i almost fell of my chair :p hehe i cant stop looking at it

I shed a tear that day. I still remember it now and just skipped class and shot hoops most of the day.

He doctor shopped and found one that told him that he could play. Later on at the Celts practice facility he collapsed and died. Reggie is the reason most teams passed on Eddie Curry and scrutinize players and their hearts now.

Here's a small write up. I still have all the clippings from the papers of the time and his death was on all the ball mags and sports illustrated. This is the reason the Celts are struggling even now along with the death of Len Bias. Both set us back at least a decade. Both were more than average players and Reggie was struck down reaching his prime. :-(

Reggie Lewis dies at 27
Three months after he collapsed in a 1993 playoff game against the Hornets, Lewis, one of the most beloved players in Boston Celtics history, crumbled to the court again, this time while just shooting around.

He never got up. Reggie Lewis, dead at 27.

Reggie Lewis
Reggie was a case of a very special athlete dying young.
After the 1993 season had ended, a team of prominent cardiologists had diagnosed a serious heart condition. But another cardiologist, Dr. Gilbert Mudge, offered an alternative diagnosis that would allow Lewis to play. The ensuing public dispute, which involved the Celtics, Lewis and his family, doctors, insurance companies, and, of course, fans, centered on a basic question: can this man play basketball without risking his life?

That question was still hanging in the air just a few weeks before Lewis died on July 27. "He is progressing along perfectly and he is right where he should be," Mudge said earlier in the month. "When he starts playing, we suspect he will be fine. From my point of view, he could not be better." But Lewis had not joined in any of the Celtics unofficial training sessions.

Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe, trying to capture the grief of a city that had seen too much in recent years, wrote, "This wasn't just a case of a generic Athlete Dying Young. This was case of a Very Special Athlete Dying Young. Reggie Lewis was acclaimed and admired not solely because he was obviously very good at what he did, but because of the way he did it. In an age of frightful hype, Reggie was an unintrusive personality who made people like him because he was straightforward and without guile, both on and off the court."

All star and Celts captain gone.

It is always sad when a player or anyone for that matter passes unexpectedly.

So do you know what it was that struck him down? Heart failure, etc?

Makes the mailday that much more special for ya. You special boy, you.

It was rumoured to be cocaine related and the rumours still persist to a degree but it was simply a genetic heart problem that caused his death most say. He just wanted to play and wouldn't listen to the advice he got.

Aint that always the way (not the coke) not listening to the advice...

I know someone who's ALWAYS been like that... lol. (referring to a lot lesser situations of course).

Sweet auto card Chad. I remember Reggie Lewis back in the days. A memorable card to own for sure!

Very very nice card. As a huge auto collector, I know this one is extremely unique. Wish I had one.

Ersk

first of all Chad what a great card to have in your collection (super rare) and i remember watching it on channel 10 sports news when his passing was reported and couldn't belive what i was hearing caused i watched one of his games on channel 10 a couple of weeks earlier, was a great player.

thats a great card there chad.

oh how it would all be different if his passing never occured

we'd be making fun of the knicks, hawks, raptors.
well the teams we are are now apart from the celtics.:) im sure he would of been able to lead them to great things and if they got nique still in 95 woah what a team

Back
Top Bottom