12 Slam Dunk Titles and not much else mailday! Part 1.....

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Answer - these guys!

Just getting around to scanning in some lower tier pickups from a long time ago - and noted there were a fair few for the dunk champs side PC (basically now abandoned, since the event became a sh*tshow).

So here are some of the slam dunk champs who never did much else with their career.... Video of their most iconic dunk included for a real trip down memory land.

1992 Slam Dunk Champ - Cedric Ceballos - 1x All Star

- pretty sure he could see, for reference check out Chase Budinger's blindfolded dunk attempt!

1997 Flair Showcase Row 1 - love me some Flair Showcase, sensational looking cards, absolute money!

SCN_0428.jpg

2018-19 Court Kings - Studio Signatures / 149 - rather controversial looking auto, do all the Ds, C, and L,s look the same?! CK always one of my favourite releases, always distinct and matte!

SCN_0429.jpg

1994 Slam Dunk Champ - Isaiah Rider - 2001 Championship with the Lakers
-
first to do the between the legs dunk.

1995-96 Upper Deck - just a base card, but it aptures the moment he;s known for and his skillset absolutely perfectly!
SCN_0439.jpg

1993-94 Topps Stadium Club Members Only RC - one of the mroe under-rated 90s sets imo, always liked this year's first day issue....

SCN_0440.jpg

1998-99 Bowman's Best Fusion - Mirror Image (FInley on reverse) ...and for some reason Rider was on the front of this card! Nice bit of die-cut action....

SCN_0484.jpg

SCN_0485.jpg

2018-19 Panini Donruss - Significant Signatures - definitely rushed this auto....

SCN_0441.jpg

2018-19 Panini Court Kings - High Court Signatures /149 - another messy auto but a much nicer looking card.

SCN_0442.jpg

2017-18 Panini Select In Flight Signatures Neon Green Prizm /65 - neon green card scheme nicely accents the old school T-Wolves jerseys, as does the blue sharpie and nice big on card auto to boot. I just wish there was a pic of him in the process of actually dunking the ball!

SCN_0443.jpg

1996 Slam Dunk Champ - Brent Barry - 2005 and 2007 Championships with the Spurs
1996-97 Topps Finest Refractor (Uncommon) - sick looking cards, right from that dunk champ era. SIlver perfectly picks up on the Clips white jerseys...

SCN_0471.jpg

2001 Slam Dunk Champ - Desmond Mason
- one of the er, weaker dunk contests

2001-02 Upper Deck All Star Authentics - from the 2001 all-star event itself - legendary!

SCN_0038.jpg

2001-02 Fleer Autographics - again it's the right jersey, right era and big beautiful on-card auto. These cards also have the nice raised basketball dimple like feel tot he border. Suh-weet....

SCN_0472.jpg

...alrigthy fam, that's enough for now, stay tuned for part 2!

Love these cards! You need to grab a Barry Autographics (if you don't already have it)

Doesn’t need to be expensive to be cool! Love the Rider dunk cards - great shots

J.R. wa s aspecial kind of baller, I tend to get more satisfcation from those lower end retro cards more so than the modern stuff. It's just whether people are interested in seeing not much more than base cards....

Love these cards! You need to grab a Barry Autographics (if you don't already have it)

Plenty of Barry autos, autographics included, always prioritise the dunk contest winners in their team uniforms at the time of winning the event.

Some great cards and a good little trip down memory lane again :D

I did have one 'Nique 90s insert to share but sill save that for a slightly more accomplished player mailday! If you appreciate the Human Highlight Film you'll definitely remember and appreciate all these old school dunkers...

Great to see some love for some of the league's lesser lights.

I'm not sure if the Ceb Ceb auto question was rhetorical but the one I have has the same similar shapes for all the "tall" letters.

CedCeb.jpg

Slam dunk champions in the title and yet no Dwight cards, feeling let down...

Just kidding, some awesome bits of cardboard in here !!! even dwightless

Always good to see a skip20 mailday, never know what you're going to see

Great to see some love for some of the league's lesser lights.

I'm not sure if the Ceb Ceb auto question was rhetorical but the one I have has the same similar shapes for all the "tall" letters.

CedCeb.jpg

Yeah, that was a rhetorical question. I have a few of his autos but always struggle to see how what he writes translates to Cedric Ceballos. Can;t complain though, especially with the number of initials only autos you see in modern products. Nice looking on-card auto you have there btw!

Slam dunk champions in the title and yet no Dwight cards, feeling let down...

Just kidding, some awesome bits of cardboard in here !!! even dwightless

Always good to see a skip20 mailday, never know what you're going to see

Dwight is perhaps the most creative dunker, definitely robbed of one dunk contest title imo. The key to the subject line is that most of these players went on to achieve not much else in their careers, the Harold Miners of the world you might say. Any Dwight, Nique or Vinsantiy cards are good enough to be featured in another mailday thread. I definitely have a couple of lower tier Dwights on hand, although why you'd want to see those is a bt beyond me given the calibre of your PC!

that UD pic of the east bay funk dunk is so good!!

'Ironic isn't it, best pic of the lot is on one of the cheapest cards base cards to ever feature in a mailday.... Just goes to show it's not all about shiny card effects, low serial numbers or big $ (spoekn like soemone who has truly fallen out of the race for top tier PC cards)!

Back
Top Bottom