Celtics Vs. Lakers Nostaglic Finals Showdown

BOSTON (AP) -- Sprawled near the edge of the famed parquet floor, Paul Pierce grabbed his throbbing right knee and wondered if his first NBA Finals -- the ones he had always dreamed of playing in -- were finished.

"A lot was going though my head," Pierce said. "'It can't be over like this."

The Boston Celtics' captain wouldn't quit.

He came back out, carrying the franchise's title hopes with him.

Oh please....

Talk about a Larry Bird...

**** me, do we need to be seeing a clip of Pierce running back out like Bird did all those years ago?

Nope, we need to see more of that put-back slam from KG!!!

Can't believe no-one's commented on Game 1 for 8 hours....

For the sleepers, Celts 1 - Lakers 0 :thumbsup:

I was going to Scotty but didn;t know if I'd get in trouble or something for putting scores in! Was a great all round team effort to start the series. Kobe the stand out for his team as expected but needs a little more help.

We're not putting scores in the thread name, only where they belong, no dramas there, if there is, I guess it's a little "too bad, so sad". lol.

Kobe needs a lotta help from the others!!!

Pau was OK, with the upper hand over K-Perk all game, but what about Odom V KG matchup..... KG OWNED...

Walton might as well sat the bench all game, he did squat....

Celts to take Game 2 unless the Lakers can share the load.

Would have also expected Kobe to hit the 30 mark in this one too...

Oh please....

Talk about a Larry Bird...

**** me, do we need to be seeing a clip of Pierce running back out like Bird did all those years ago?

Nope, we need to see more of that put-back slam from KG!!!

Can't believe no-one's commented on Game 1 for 8 hours....

For the sleepers, Celts 1 - Lakers 0 :thumbsup:

The way he was carring on was like he broke his leg, get back and play!!!lol

Lakers werent gonna take this one shooting 5-20 in the last Qtr....

Bring on Game 2!!!

And KG'S Put back was NASTY......

Such a great game. The 4 point play and consecutive 3's from the same spot for PP were definitely stand outs

I watched it all at Cheers sports bar in Sydney...with about 20 guys from Boston that were here for uni or something. And one guy that was here for work and lives in LA but supports C's and works in the movie business, says he will probably be able to get box tix to one of the LA games, lucky B@st@rd

Damn! Both teams came out strong as expected and for the most part, this game had the feeling of a game 7 it was that intense.

I liked the fact that Odom and Gasol were aggressive, Kobe coming up big in the third but seemed to almost panic at times in the fourth. When he wasn't scoring he was creating and that's what we need when he can't find his shot. Vujacic and Radmanovic weren't afraid to shoot, good to see. Odom did all he could on Ganett, a hand literally in his face on all shots but they just kept falling. He can't be contained 1 on 1 this way. How bout Cassell, had a sweet shot with him today!

I liked the Kobe/Peirce match (up at times), when Peirce came back and hit those back to back threes that's when the tide turned. When he went down I thought it was over, crying, carried off wasn't good to see at all. When he came back, Celtics slipped into another gear and the place was electric.

A couple of bad bad calls but I'm not going all out and saying that's why we lost. The cross court on Gasol, I suppose that's the disadvantage of having a huuuuuuuuuge trophy Icon at half court and that Flagrant foul after the whistle on Posey. Give me a Break! It was blatant, it was obvious and it was a no call for the home town.

1 game down, I'm still confident from what I've seen that we can win the next one in the Garden. Shaping up to be a killer series.

Scores are fine here guys. ITs the series thread. Discus all you want here as I'm sure most people wanting to watch the reply will avoid THIS thread. That was the goal and I though I explained it pretty clearly.

Not a great start by either team but with my team up 1-0 who am I to complain. Sam frustrates the **** out of me, KG wont take it to the damn hole and Doc wont put a decent second unit out of the floor but we played D for at least 80% of the game.

That was better than the 60% of court time the Lakers played D for so we got the W.

Good night had by all....

Well almost all..:-D

Hope the free pizza and beer made it better... :-D

Now whow has the stats on teams that win the first game winning the title??

There were a lot of great signs last night. Ray Allen - check out his stat line. Kobe going 9-26 and had no assists in the 4th. Rondo had a fine game. Gasol had 12 in the 1st half and only 3 the rest of the way. KG dominated the 1st half and stunk up the 2nd until that phat jam. No way KG goes 0-9 in a stretch in this series again.
Chad - totally agree with the KG - GO TO THE HOLE yell.

Great minutes from PJ Brown to compensate Perk's quiet game.

Did I mention Paul Pierce - dude has big kahunas.

Last point - rebound count 46-33 - it was pretty even at the half then the Celtics got all the rebounds down the stretch - especially off their own glass.

It was a great game overall. Worth watching!

I would have thought that the Celtics will be coming out strongly right from the beginning but they still managed to win this one as they usually do at home... Congrats!:thumbsup:

Kobe looked tired and awful shooting night... Reminds me of Lebron in the conference finals... I guess the Celts defense is really stingy.

Big Drama on Pierce but it really pumped the crowd when he came back from his injury and hit the 2 big 3's (both at the same spot and both courtesy of the young Rondo). My MVP last night!

KG was great!

Pau looks like wolverine:lol: but I like how he handled Kobe's passes.

This series is not boring compare to the last 3 or 4 Finals we've seen..:thumbsup:

Was a great game to watch..... super effort from Pierce after going down..... those two 3's were MASSIVE & surely got me fired up!! haha

Good game from KG.. but yep, go to the hole more dude!!!!!

As a Lakers fan, I can't help but cringe every time I see the 'Fakers' lines, as so mnay poeple on the net throw it round, It just get's old is all I'm saying.

Fakers remember!? ;)

Fakers remember!? ;)

To quote one of my favorite Busta Rhymes Tracks...

...Sorry Homeboy but ya flow sounds used...

"WHOO-HAH - Got you all in Check"

Ahhh More Fakers jokes! When will it end??? Maybe when the Jazz or Nuggets advance further? Possibly!!! For now, feel free to get on any bandwagon you wish as you have been! It's obvious which one you're riding now! Don't take a genious to work out how you support teams ;) :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

For now, feel free to get on any bandwagon you wish as you have been! It's obvious which one you're riding now! Don't take a genious to work out how you support teams

Huh!? :blink: I'm bandwagoning on the Celtics just cause I prefer them over the Lakers (Fakers)!? Am I only allowed to go for the Fakers? Sorry bout that..... lets go fakers!!!!!! :rolleyes:

All good mate, you support who you want. ;)

I just can't help but notice a pattern. :D

Anyway, GO FAKERS!!! :p

A very interesting game 1. Lakers were close throughout, but failed to cover the keys to victory in Boston.

Gasol was OK, but far from strong on the boards and weak defensively. Kobe tried to share the ball around, but 9-26 shooting would mean a LAL loss most nights. Rbs was a problem...simple, simple stuff guys - put a body on the offensive players when rebounding! They did a great job of containing Pierce, until he manufactured his own mid game Willis Reed. Bruised knee? I thought he'd had his leg ripped off at the knee judging by his reaction...you could see by the telecast that he was going to be ok...that 4 pt play was the nail in the coffin.

THIS is the game Lakers need to steal...and are set to do so. Kobe will come out firing...this one will be a 35+ pt game or a 5-35 game...and the result will fall accordingly. Expect to see Vlad play more of a role in spreading out the D with 3s in the first quarter...they tried in game 1, but fouls got in the way. Expect to see less of Farmar and more of Fisher. Expect to see stronger rebounding...THIS MEANS YOU LAMAR.

Steal this one, and they are well on track. Lose this, and the job just got a hell of a lot tougher. This is the critical game of the series in the Lakers' eyes.

Come out strong boys, play wity a little heart Pau and Odom, and show the world why you are the MVP Kobe!!
:D

Basketball in the playoffs is about adjustments.

Am I worried about tomorrows game? YES of course I am. As stated already the Celts have a LOT more to lose than the Lakers who still can go up 3-2 by simply holding home court in LA.

The most worrying part is having a coach that can't draw up plays and tries to get the best of out players by giving speeches such as this.

"Remember that GUY in South Africa, you know that guy who wouldn't give up and fought adversity, be like that guy!"

I can only cringe that he couldn't remember the great name Mandela.. If that who he is talking about and if not then I'm totally lost.

Perk has to give us minutes and beat Lamar and Gasol down the floor on his ankle. We only need 25-30 mins out of him at the moment as PJ has turned up fit and prepared it seems. I want to see more of Powe in the system as our OFF boards keep comming when he does and the Lakers have failed in 3 meetings to exploit any height advantage they had.

Kobe 15ft from the basket is what we want and if we succeed at suffocating the lane it would be 4 games in row we have done so this year against him.

The Lakers aren't going to lay down and die, they are going to make runs and extra passes if we lapse for even 5 seconds on the end of a shot clock. We have to turn up for 4 quarters against these guys.

Pumped up again of course for this one!

NBA then footy at the G. What more can a guy ask for???

Keys for us..

Rondo hitting the open shot as usual of course, actually taking it would help as its generally late in the posession and we have guys on the boards.

Rondo putting Fisher under ball pressure more and giving the Lakers less time to set up their O they need to run as their bail out shot is a poor % and we get the boards.

Garnett to finally discover the drop step baseline that was open ALL day last game.

Ray to do exactly as he did last game. Great D and great offensive game both inside and out.

Doc to go with Pierce in the second unit IF Allen isn't ON from the field.

PIERCE/KG at LEAST to start the fourth please Doc.

Our second games at home have resulted in two W's and a loss. They have hardly been great games by us after a decent effort first up in game one.

Cheap fouls lastly. Too many cheap fouls by reaching in rather than playing the passing lanes.

12 hours away!

2-0 up would be bloody awesome!

that GUY in South Africa, you know that guy who wouldn't give up and fought adversity, be like that guy!"

I can only cringe that he couldn't remember the great name Mandela.. If that who he is talking about and if not then I'm totally lost.

haha I was waiting for the 'Any Given Sunday' Speech!!!

"you're out in the yard, and your Mom's ringin' the dinner bell" - Al Pacino

:lol::lol::lol:

Not long to go until game 2. Simply put; It's a must win for the Lakers. I have no doubts the Celtics can take at least 1 of the gauranteed 2 in Staples, we need to win on the road first to secure some kind of hope.

Another restless night! :p

Back
Top Bottom