NFL Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS)

Do you think Fisher could be on the firing block now? New city, new coach, new start?

Have to think it's a bit of a no win situation...last year of his contract, coming off a bad season, no franchise QB...and now the move and being under the microscope in a new market and all the other hoopla that'll come with it... who'd be looking forward to that ??? :crazy:

Apparently the Chargers have until March to make a decision as to where they'll play in 2016.

IMO, I'd rather the Raiders move to LA than the Chargers. San Diego is a much bigger market than Oakland, Raiders should've been in LA for a while now. Now that Rams are in LA, maybe Oakland can even move somewhere else. Portland Raiders? New Jersey Raiders? Orlando Raiders???? I dunno, just my thoughts!

The Raiders have been linked to nearly everywhere anyway! San Antonio is probably the most common (Mark Davis has actually met with city reps in San Antonio already) but Portland and Oklahoma are 2 offers I have seen thrown mentioned as well. Also seen mention that St Louis could now be an option (if they do want a NFL team as much as they say they do) and also San Diego if the Chargers are to relocate (Raiders have a big following in Southern Cali anyway and the Chargers home games are always more likely another home game for the Raiders).

I guess also, the Raiders don't need to be in a big market because they are so well known around the world like the Cowboys, 49ers and Patriots. Biggest thing they need is a new stadium that isn't 60 years old (or however old it is) and not shared with a baseball team.

IMO they're suited to San Antonio (forget them when I was posting). Not that big a market due to sharing a market with Texans & Cowboys, will still have a few fans, and the chance to make a spanking new stadium. Portland would be alright, New Jersey seriously need a team and Oklahoma are a good market to walk into.

I can't see anyone going into St. Louis as while Kroenke was bashing them for his own reasons, part of what he was saying is true, it's not exactly a bustling metropolis with a huge enconomy - it's been struggling for a good while. I remember being surprised during my visit in 2004, as to just how many CBD buildings and shops were empty. I think they'd really struggle to put together a big enough package to entice another team there. Sadly their only real shot was to keep the Rams in town somehow and they couldn't really get enough of the city behind them to pull that off...

Last edited:
IMO they're suited to San Antonio (forget them when I was posting). Not that big a market due to sharing a market with Texans & Cowboys, will still have a few fans, and the chance to make a spanking new stadium. Portland would be alright, New Jersey seriously need a team and Oklahoma are a good market to walk into.

I don't think New Jersey will happen (for the Raiders anyway) being a West Coast team it would mean a lot of rejigging of divisions.

I can't see anyone going into St. Louis as while Kroenke was bashing them for his own reasons, part of what he was saying is true, it's not exactly a bustling metropolis with a huge enconomy - it's been struggling for a good while. I remember being surprised during my visit in 2004, as to just how many CBD buildings and shops were empty. I think they'd really struggle to put together a big enough package to entice another team there. Sadly there only real shot was to keep the Rams in town somehow and they couldn't really get enough of the city behind them to pull that off...

Interesting about St Louis, complete opposite to how I thought the city was!

NFL should just be grateful that Al is no longer around any more or they would be getting ready to deal with a lawsuit right now!

This open letter was posted on Turf Show Times a few days ago, and makes for a fun read

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/1...ing-the-st-louis-rams-proposal-for-relocation

Especially:

Maybe, Mr. Kroenke is not as capable of an owner as the NFL has perceived him to be. With his attention spread out to multiple teams across the United States. (He also owns the Colorado Avalanche, Denver Nuggets, and an MLS team in the Colorado Rapids) it must be very difficult to juggle all these obligations at one time wouldn't you think?

The Colorado Avalanche have the 22nd lowest attendance out of all 30 NHL teams with an average of 16,341. They are currently second to last in the Central Division and hold a 20-18 record. Just above .500.

The Denver Nuggets are dead last in attendance in the NBA with 13,964. They hold a 11-23 record which puts them 11th best out of the 15 teams in the Western Conference and well below .500.

The Colorado Rapids are last with 13,878 on average per game. A decrease in 8% from 2014. They hold the runner-up trophy for the worst record in the entire MLS with a 9-10-15 record.

and

As I write this, the Wall Street Journal just published an article that ranked St. Louis as the top sports city in 2015. There's nothing left to do but shrug.

Yeah, I have no doubts that if the Rams had been more successful in the past 10 or so years that this whole situation would be different... Fans would have attended games and the City might have been more open to spending the required money to keep Kroenke happy...and maybe people would have stopped calling St. Louis a baseball town!

Wondering what happens if they make the same poor draft/personnel/coaching decisions when they're in LA ?? They'll be under the microscope now...

Personally I would have preferred Kroenke sell the team to someone who was willing to keep them in St.Louis and who would work with the city to get a good outcome for both. But sadly things got so bad that apparently Kroenke wasn't even talking to anyone from the city any more. And by then the lure of the LA monster he'd be dreaming of building was just too much.

Now I just hope they don't mess with the Uni's or anything else as part of the move...

During all this, the thing I hated the most is the constant use of public funds for stadiums and redevelopments.

Which is where I came across this

I love sport, but hell it goes too far in leeching public funds and perverting educational institutions.

Sure there's positive outcomes, but it comes with some pretty hefty negatives too.

And at the end of the day and man like Kroenke is worth $7b.

@Lazlow Hard to believe how crap his team's are for attendance (Nuggets, Avalanches, Rapids, Rams) when you consider that Kroenke owns Arsenal (who are more supported than all his franchises with their attendances tripled)

@Lazlow Hard to believe how crap his team's are for attendance (Nuggets, Avalanches, Rapids, Rams) when you consider that Kroenke owns Arsenal (who are more supported than all his franchises with their attendances tripled)

2/3 owner, last third owned by some Russian. But yeah, different world over there. Promotion/Relegation means you have diehard fans all over the Championship.

Hell look at AFC Wimbledon, a club formed by disgruntled supporters of Wimbledon FC when their team was moved to Milton Keynes. AFC has gone from the 9th to the 4th tier in the English Football System in 13 seasons. A system that permits teams to work their way to the big time stands a greater chance retaining of lifelong fans.

Agreed. I've got friends who support Leicester City. They started supporting when they went to League One in 2008. One year later, they're in the Championship, and now look where they are.

Plus I know people who are passionate supporters of teams from their hometowns in the UK. Heck there's a team formed by angry Man United fans (FC United of Manchester). Soccer is a different world from the NFL when it comes to fans.

Feel for St Louis.

But NFL will be stoked to get a team in LA though.

Maybe the $550m relocation fee can be given to Oakland for a new stadium? I agree about public money spent on stadia being wrong.

Back
Top Bottom