2015 Select Honours 2

Scotty_WCE

West Coast card collector!
Real Name
Scott
eBay User
scotty_wce
Let's return to the start of this year, the start of 2015. As March drew closer so did the release of the recently much-maligned Champions series. Collectors were hoping for a bit of this:
a13b8abe6b2b150ef32f5fc2f1f28ae8_zpsjr2auevu.jpg

Instead, in terms of signatures, or even numbered inserts, or even collectable sets! We got this:
single-tumbleweed_2054482_GIFSoupcom_zps0a846a97.gif

So, Select, now is the time to stand up. To up your game. To produce a set that will have card, team and set collectors alike salivating in the weeks leading up to the release of Honours v2.0.
Could there be a low-numbered insert set?
excitedspongebob.gif

Could there be a signature series of the young guns from the Mini Draft (O'Meara, Martin, Hogan and Crouch)?
image-29.gif

Could there be a Father/Son or Captain/Coach Dual Signature set?
tumblr_mea9vmy01D1qefpk7_zps6a64f91e.gif

Or could there be - no, surely not - wait for it *GASP* - GAME USED GUERNSEY CARDS?
tumblr_le3nu9QUKW1qct8mq.gif

Or, yet again, will we be left with this:
single-tumbleweed_2054482_GIFSoupcom_zps0a846a97.gif

Yes, this is the thread for all the discussion, rumours and whatnot about the sequel to Honours 1: let's hope that Honours 2 is a significant improvement on recent years and blows its predecessor out of the water, and that this thread can be filled with pleasant surprises, excitement and anticipation.

Am I being too optimistic? :cry:

Will be interesting to see what they replace draft pick signatures, if I know select well enough I think they will come out with a card that the players signed in invisible ink, but in all seriousness I'm thinking it could be a rising star sig that would be my guess

never get your hopes up!! havent been around here now for the best part of 2 years..... with one company to blame for that!

I have decided to no longer collect select series 2. Not because I hate select but because I don't get any enjoyment out of it. I didn't but much honours 1 , a few packs was about it. I just purchased a few sigs from eBay , mainly scharenbergs.
That said I hope it's a nice series. I don't care what sort of inserts there will be because I won't be buying it. I might buy the hawthorn inserts , will just have to wait and see.
Select Series 1 and teamcoach are the way for me.

If Select were to bring back one of their previous insert sets, what would you like it to be?

My vote would be for 2006 Supreme's Brownlow Predictors, which would fit in nicely with the theme of the release. 100 numbered cards of each of ~30 players. Would bring back so much excitement with collectors hoping they get the card of the winner. Imagine how everyone would feel on Brownlow night! Would bring back that excitement factor missing from previous releases.

If Select were to bring back one of their previous insert sets, what would you like it to be?

My vote would be for 2006 Supreme's Brownlow Predictors, which would fit in nicely with the theme of the release. 100 numbered cards of each of ~30 players. Would bring back so much excitement with collectors hoping they get the card of the winner. Imagine how everyone would feel on Brownlow night! Would bring back that excitement factor missing from previous releases.

That is a great idea! I would like to see it done like the old Premiership predictors, where you get a Brownlow club rather than a player, just for something different. For example, if you get a Hawthorn, Sydney or Fremantle predictor you could end up with Sam Mitchell, Josh Kennedy or Nathan Fyfe.....or whoever from that club wins the Brownlow medal. Would that work, or is that stupid and would it remove the fun from it?

That is a great idea! I would like to see it done like the old Premiership predictors, where you get a Brownlow club rather than a player, just for something different. For example, if you get a Hawthorn, Sydney or Fremantle predictor you could end up with Sam Mitchell, Josh Kennedy or Nathan Fyfe.....or whoever from that club wins the Brownlow medal. Would that work, or is that stupid and would it remove the fun from it?
Ooh interesting idea! I actually really like that, means cards from some of the traditionally less-collected teams will be worth more (e.g. Sydney and Fremantle). Also gives you more than one chance to win, so a team like Sydney could have a Kennedy, Jack or Franklin win. And imagine if you had the Eagles last year, thinking you had no chance and Priddis somehow wins it, you'd be pumped!

I reckon this would be good as a 1:72 card so as to keep them relatively scarce, and also bring back the one-per-two-box hit.

I also think that a return of the jumbo card - like the 1996 "Future Hall of Fame" set - would be a great idea. Inserted one per box, it could be something as simple as "2014 Best and Fairest Winner" or "2014 International Rules player" or even "2014 Club Leading Goalkicker". Or.....or! Like the ESP "Stats Smasher" cards - most handballs, kicks, tackles etc.

The tin set of the 2014 Grand Final featured a jumbo card which my horrendous camera work doesn't do justice too. The writing at the top is in silver :) The reverse has the quarter-by-quarter scores, Hawks goal scorers, best players, Norm Smith winner and crowd and features an action shot of Breust, Hodge, Spangher and Gibson.
DSC01213.JPG

My only problem with jumbo cards is that they don't fit the traditional pocket page which I house my collection in, but in saying that I'm sure I've seen pages which fit jumbo cards. I really like the idea of the "Stat Smasher" cards. Could have all manner of stats: one-percenters, bounces, shepherds, the list goes on. Wasn't the last time they had box toppers 2002? About time they made a comeback!

The 2002 box toppers were for mark of the week or something weren't they? I mean, you could even do that and I reckon it would be popular. With cards of that nature I would love to see a retro "send in x barcodes/wrappers to claim the cards you are missing" type of thing. Bloody hell, I can remember exchanging stickers with Select or Scanlens or some bugger back in the day to complete my albums. My view is that collecting footy need to return to what it once was - perhaps even with a "stick of bubble-gum lucky winner" redemption prize randomly inserted in boxes :)

Everyone has a pretty good idea what the second AFL cards series is going to be this year. Only thing we do not know is what will be the new signature prospect replacing the draft picks. Here are the realistic options:

Top Prospect Signatures - these will be the same concept as the NRL ones when Select last had the license for rugby league cards. Strictly speaking in terms of the AFL context, most if not all cards will depict players not featured at all throughout Draft Pick Signature series who have been making progress throughout the clubs they represent but are not iconic compared to other major key players. In other words, any young players/debutantes who did not sign a DPS card. (Will say it will not be a rising star nominee concepts because most of these players already have signed a DPS).

Milestone Game Signature Card - like this sub series featured throughout the champions series and to take place as followed:
Bronze 100 - Limited to 400 per player; Silver 150 - Limited to 300 per player; Gold 200 - Limited to 200 per player; Platinum 250 - Limited to 100 per player.

From an Essendon prespective: As long as there isn't another Lloyd, Hird or $800 case card I.e 400 dustin fletcher (which would be kind of cool) I'd be happy. I like the idea of players who haven't already signed a card because they weren't in the draft like your hibberds, bellys and howletts... Or maybe free agents in their new colours! Or how about fan favourites like kommer (or spangher for hawthorn) then maybe I'd buy it. Still haven't forgiven select for he Lloyd/brown/judd sig that ruined my dream of having all Essendon signatures, obvious money grabs are annoying and I won't support them

I actually think the traditional "last year's award winners" signature redemptions would be a huge hit if Select made them a feature of Honours this year.

From 2014 the list is:
Brownlow Medal: Matt Priddis
Coleman Medal: Lance Franklin
Norm Smith Medal: Luke Hodge
Jock McHale Medal: Alastair Clarkson
ALFPA MVP: Nathan Fyfe

Although I do agree that the release does need a WOW factor to hook people back in.

I guess we have another two or so months of debate to go hey? :)

Bit of chatter at Springvale today about what's in this release.

Limited release signatures to 40/80???

Can someone fill in the gaps??

So the Rising Star Nominees from last year signing less than 100 cards each? That sounds a bit better than tired old draft picks numbered to 9000

Back
Top Bottom