younger pro athletes

card_craze

collecting since 96
when guys like Garnett, Kobe, LeBron, and other high schoolers entered NBA - people was like, oh they are so young, they'll be great, etc

However, being a retired amateur myself (due to injuries). I can say that competition at NBA level is bound to take its toll on the body. While it's true that they started at younger age (19 or 20, LeBron even started when he was 18) - that doesn't necessarily mean they will have a longer career.

Just look at Kobe, he has some knee problems already. I'm not sure he'll last until he's in his mid 30s.

Sure they say it's minor injury. But when an injury requires a surgery, it's NEVER minor. Minor injuries are treated with counterpain & voltaren, not surgeries.

I guess, it comes down to marketing. People love potentials, the next Baby Jordan, one in 50 years athlete, and so on. A younger athlete is deemed to attract more attention because people have sentiments that they'll be great due to experience.

But an athlete like Kobe, or Garnett, they've been more than 10 seasons into their respective careers. The body took lots of punishment during that 10 years (or more) span - eventually biology catches up.

Question is: if a guy started going pro when he was 19, does that mean he'll have a longer career than the other guy who starts going pro when he was 22? That means 3 years headstart, that means he'll last at least 3 years more than the older guy. True?

I think not... it's all the same. It depends on the sort of beatings they take in games.

What do you guys think?

it depends what happens.. a guy like Iverson has taken so many knocks, but he's what, 11 seasons into his career?! and still dominating 97% of the NBA.

Alonzo Mourning, he's what, 36 now, and he's taken HEAPS of knocks and bruises, he still manages to play a bit.

Kobe will be 29 this year, and I'm pretty sure he has at least 5 seasons left in him.

For a superstar, take generally about 2 seasons of deceline, I'd say Kobe has at least 3 good seasons left minimum.

It depends on the sort of beatings they take in games.

Yea exactly. But then you look at guys like Iverson and it's a miracle he's still going after the amount of punishment he's put his body through. It's usually the guys who don't have that much contact in their role, such as centres, that can sustain their longevity.

That's interesting, because you look at someone like Paul Pierce, who, until this season has never missed a game since 98/99. He also started almost all of those games. The most trouble with injury has been this season, we shall wait and see how that affects him and his numbers from now on.

Back
Top Bottom