Yahoo Fantasy NBA Keeper League Trash Talk thread!

Re: Yahoo Fantasy NBA Keeper Leagues? PM interest in playing!

A great idea by Michael (digeze). For the subsequent seasons, the players you keep fill the same draft positions that you drafted them the year before. So if you took Elton Brand in round 1, and you are keeping him, then he's your round 1 pick again (even though he might have had a dud year and dropped to 30s in the ratings). If you drafted Gilbert Arenas in the 8th round (since he is lowly ranked cause of poor last season and injured most of this season coming), if you keep him, he takes up your 8th pick again, whether his rating rose or not. Means you're rewarded for drafting a player that becomes a star later in the draft, and need to make hard choices on your Vets. :D

So you mean 2nd and subsequent years, you give 12th back towards 1st choice of where to draft and still do it snaking? Or shall we just go 12th-1st and forget the snaking so it's set 12th-1st each round?

Yeah I was just thinking that cause 1st pick is not always an advantage? But I suppose if we run with trading draft picks that would cover it anyway, cause If your 12th and you score pick #1 but you want to trade down, to say pick #3 that'll cover it and you'll score something in return to, (hopefully there's no tanking thou!) ;)
A couple of max moves per week sounds fine to me

For the subsequent seasons, the players you keep fill the same draft positions that you drafted them the year before. So if you took Elton Brand in round 1, and you are keeping him, then he's your round 1 pick again (even though he might have had a dud year and dropped to 30s in the ratings). If you drafted Gilbert Arenas in the 8th round (since he is lowly ranked cause of poor last season and injured most of this season coming), if you keep him, he takes up your 8th pick again, whether his rating rose or not. Means you're rewarded for drafting a player that becomes a star later in the draft, and need to make hard choices on your Vets

That'll really make things interesting if we do it that way, really strategic, is this an actual setting, I'd be all for it! Saves people just automatically keeping their top 5 picks from last season

Very interestign ideas floating around at the moment, I like the idea of keeping most of your roster if you think they are gonna help you... make sit very realistic... me i'll prolly do a boston and trade away most of my team ;) lmao

Yeah I was just thinking that cause 1st pick is not always an advantage? But I suppose if we run with trading draft picks that would cover it anyway, cause If your 12th and you score pick #1 but you want to trade down, to say pick #3 that'll cover it and you'll score something in return to, (hopefully there's no tanking thou!) ;)
A couple of max moves per week sounds fine to me

Are you thinking snaking draft for subsequent years though or just straight run through draft? I was leaning towards locking in draft running 12th place to 1st place every round. Draft picks can be traded, but I am unsure of how we would trade picks for players?

If we got to choose possies and 12th gets first choice followed by 11th and such, that removes the trading picks issues, but this is pointless unless we snake the draft still, which I was leaning against?

That'll really make things interesting if we do it that way, really strategic, is this an actual setting, I'd be all for it! Saves people just automatically keeping their top 5 picks from last season

I dont think there are any 'actual' settings for the keeper leagues mate. The way I have observed it through Commish tools, is that I would personally lock in the draft order manually, and lock in what players were being taken with which pick by which team manually also (as in keeper players). Can very easily be done and I like the strategy of it also!

If we got to choose possies and 12th gets first choice followed by 11th and such, that removes the trading picks issues, but this is pointless unless we snake the draft still, which I was leaning against?
Yeah I'd say 1 or the other, would work too well with both in play

I dont think there are any 'actual' settings for the keeper leagues mate. The way I have observed it through Commish tools, is that I would personally lock in the draft order manually, and lock in what players were being taken with which pick by which team manually also (as in keeper players). Can very easily be done and I like the strategy of it also!
So you'd have to a off air (on ozcards) draft each year then, to know who's available and who's off limits yeah?

Are you thinking snaking draft for subsequent years though or just straight run through draft? I was leaning towards locking in draft running 12th place to 1st place every round. Draft picks can be traded, but I am unsure of how we would trade picks for players?
I didn't even think about changing every rnd to 1st pick.... but that would definitely make it a good opportunity to help you next season.

To trade draft pick you'd have to have both parties let the commish know, then you'd change the draft order and you as a commish can also drop players from team and then the team would get the play off the free agents list (no holds bar'd) cause I don't think the commish can change players roster to roster

Yeah I'd say 1 or the other, would work too well with both in play

So you'd have to a off air (on ozcards) draft each year then, to know who's available and who's off limits yeah?

Nope, can do it online. Yahoo actually allows for the keeping of players in subsequent drafts by the commish editing the draft order and "assign keeper player selections to any team in any round". So it would all be online still, but you'd have certain picks pre-arranged which I assume makes them untouchable to previous picks by other teams. I assume the draft pool would only be able to pick the non-assigned players.

I didn't even think about changing every rnd to 1st pick.... but that would definitely make it a good opportunity to help you next season.

To trade draft pick you'd have to have both parties let the commish know, then you'd change the draft order and you as a commish can also drop players from team and then the team would get the play off the free agents list (no holds bar'd) cause I don't think the commish can change players roster to roster

Yeah I reckon removing the snaking would be best to help lower teams climb back up.

As for trading picks, I'd have to investigate it more, but I don;t think I can change the order of picks for different rounds, so if it was a player for pick trade, then I can simply allocate said player as a keeper for the agreed team in the round agreed upon, leaving it open for the other team in that round...that make sense? This would be done in the offseason though. During the season, whole different kettle of fish, and likely too tricky.

Yeah all sounds good to me Benny

As far as trading picks goes.....you could start a new thread for this league once it gets underway. Use the first post in the thread to keep updated of current picks that have been traded to/from people. That way we can always see who has whos picks and it will be the reference point next season when we start looking at the new draft.

As far as trading picks goes.....you could start a new thread for this league once it gets underway. Use the first post in the thread to keep updated of current picks that have been traded to/from people. That way we can always see who has whos picks and it will be the reference point next season when we start looking at the new draft.

Yeah can figure that all out when we get there I reckon :) If people are happy to make a pick trade, they can inform me, and I can simply add it to a spreadsheet I have as a note below who has all the players.

I'll also try and keep track of who drops what player for which player via a spreadsheet, so we know where they might be drafted if kept ;)

Things are looking good, just need to fill the last spot and possibly see where Joe is at (Joe is cr1187, the new member) and we'll be set likely for next friday midnight :)

Not a huge fan of being allowed to keep as many as you want. Its likely to lead to epic dynasty's and reduced participation. Imagine if someone picks 10 of the best prospects this season so Durant, Horford, Oden as well as a couple of rooks plus a couple of prospects in rounds 5-14. That team never has to let go of any of those players, ever. Its more challenging to only be able to keep a limited number and have to juggle the roster (to me anyway :)).

Also if yahoo can automatically link players to their initial draft round it would be cool, but if it has to be done manually it could be a nightmare. Also consider the example above, not only do they have the best 10 players in the league, but they also get the top players in rounds 1-4 as well.

I can understand the appeal, but i don't like the idea of half of the league leaving every year cos they have no shot at all for the next five seasons. Just my thoughts, looking forward to it regardless.

Not a huge fan of being allowed to keep as many as you want. Its likely to lead to epic dynasty's and reduced participation. Imagine if someone picks 10 of the best prospects this season so Durant, Horford, Oden as well as a couple of rooks plus a couple of prospects in rounds 5-14. That team never has to let go of any of those players, ever. Its more challenging to only be able to keep a limited number and have to juggle the roster (to me anyway :)).

Also if yahoo can automatically link players to their initial draft round it would be cool, but if it has to be done manually it could be a nightmare. Also consider the example above, not only do they have the best 10 players in the league, but they also get the top players in rounds 1-4 as well.

I can understand the appeal, but i don't like the idea of half of the league leaving every year cos they have no shot at all for the next five seasons. Just my thoughts, looking forward to it regardless.

Yeah I had a thought on that earlier too...Nothing is set in stone yet Nick so we'll look at it. I personally like the idea of keeping as many as you want, but do see that your senario could occur...but will those players be good enough to beat out the rest of the league? Hmmm...limiting to only 5 would probably work better, but I think it removes the value of keeping cause you're unlikely to keep a prospect as your top 5 could very well be Bron, Josh Smith, Melo, David West and Gerald Wallace (example only) = No 1 is going to break up that lot, even if they do have Durant or Oden also!

How about no minimum to keep but max of 6 players then?

6 is way too many......How many years contract are we putting on the Keepers?

How about no minimum to keep but max of 6 players then?

Trading of picks and such, I'm not sure how we can work that Steve. I'm happy to try and keep track, but could be hard. Would involve others drafting for you in player for pick situations, cause I can;t edit the draft order from round to round.

As for where players go in your draft board if kept from trades, I was thinking they'd slot into the same round as the players given up, or in the case of for picks, in the round that the team that drafted them picked them, or closest round to there. It won;t be too hard for me to simply switch players names around or change players names in original draft rounds from a spreadsheet like yours, but complete. And picks wouldn;t be traded until the offseason anyway, as we don;t know the order until then.

This brings up 1 more thought, is there a point trading for picks, if the other team you traded your star for keeps 7 players and therefore by your method, their first pick would be at earliest, in the 80s?

6 max, no minimum would to stop Nick's issue.

So you'd be against unlimited keepers then too? Had not even thought of contracts!

I think it may wreck it if people aren't forced to make some changes, give the league not variety and change for each draft

I think it may wreck it if people aren't forced to make some changes, give the league not variety and change for each draft

I'm investigating contracts now...but even if it's not a setting, we could make it a rule, 4 years (???) and then you have to let them back into the draft pool, or have them traded? Would definately stop someone say, owning Lebron for the next 10 years! haha

As for Keepers, what if we split the difference, so made 5, but I do like the idea of 5 maximum and no minimum, so if people don't want to hold on to 5 (you may choose to draft all oldies and hope to win!) then they can choose not to. No? Unlikely to occur, but gives more options.

Picks will be registered gy myself in a spreadsheet upon season end, and I'll keep a track of who trades what picks, if anyone does. Then on the night, we'll have to have people communicating through the chat and picking for each other, then trading after the draft so it all works out. Draft order will be set as last to 1st and if people have traded picks, they pick still in that order, but for other people. I don't see any other way of doing that. This will also allow everyone to see where each other are picking, because I'll set the keeper players into their draft spots too. Everyone will recieve a draft board via spreadsheet after Keepers are nominated publically in the league forum by the start of the Finals Series.

Looking to player contracts now.

Welcome to the 12th and final member of the inaugral OZcards Keeper league, love the name too!!!

I think trading of draft picks mite be tough during the season. When the draft is on I think we can work it, but during the season how do you know what picks you are going to have available if your considering keeping players at the picks they were drafted. You won't decide your keepers until the start of next season, so if I trade my 3rd rd pick for Ramon Sessions, does that mean I have to dump my 3rd rd pick in order to do so?

We're really trying to make this confusing.

We've got all season to discuss this anyway. I like the idea of managers choice of 0-5
keepers (prefer unlimited but that seems unpopular), being your first selections in the following year draft.

Contracts maybe but then you might as well start a salary cap as well, you can't force someone to give up their star after 3-4 years (we might not have to worry if we don't last that long anyway!) or then if I hang around for 4 years, I've got to dump all my original keepers 4 years down the track. And if a few of us are still around in 4 years there'll be a shmooooorgas board of talent around to draft from in 4 yrs!!

I'm planning on signing Lebron to a 15yr contract when I get him!!!

I think a Keeper league should have a salary cap but because we don't have 30 teams, we should have our own salary cap system in place,

well most of us will have at least 4 all star talented players, im not sure what a average salary cap is in the NBA but if its around 60 million, we just double it and add a little to make it no more than 130 million cap but it really up to you guys,

yes someone could pick up all the young guys and not be so competitive now but like 3 years down the track they would be and if someone does drop out, the new person who comes on board will have the chance to keep that team and those players if he wishes but there so much to think about but we can sort it out as the season unflolds.

Back
Top Bottom