Yahoo Fantasy NBA Keeper League Trash Talk thread!

Re: Yahoo Fantasy NBA Keeper Leagues? PM interest in playing!

Hey guys Ive played on yahoo a few times and I'll be keen to join a league, if any 1 is keen please hit me up my yahoo address is [email protected]
In the past no one has ever talked much, it pretty boring so let start talking...

Welcome to the boards buddy :) Post a New Member Intro to get yourself started and known about the site. I'll PM you the league details, assuming you'll be active season long and into subsequent seasons?

I think that 3-5 is a good number. If its 5 and somebody flukes picking up young guys and has 5 of the top 10 players in a couple of seasons it can be a foregone conclusion who will win every year. So i guess i would say go with 4. So you could have 3 stars and a prospect.

Good point...but then I spose like the real NBA, depending upon how long we hang around, we'll all go through highs and slumps!

Just for some other information, I reckon past the first season, we'll set the draft order as last place to first, but snaking still. That sound alright? Just to try and give last placed teams a little boost :)

Good point...but then I spose like the real NBA, depending upon how long we hang around, we'll all go through highs and slumps!

Just for some other information, I reckon past the first season, we'll set the draft order as last place to first, but snaking still. That sound alright? Just to try and give last placed teams a little boost :)

I think if we want to help out the last place teams it should probably be like NBA/AFL drafts 1-12 and then 1-12 again otherwise who ever came first is getting picks 12&13 which is probably a lot better than 1 & 24 when you consider the top 48 players will already be keepers. Just an idea :)

I think if we want to help out the last place teams it should probably be like NBA/AFL drafts 1-12 and then 1-12 again otherwise who ever came first is getting picks 12&13 which is probably a lot better than 1 & 24 when you consider the top 48 players will already be keepers. Just an idea :)

I was thinking that, but then wasn;'t sure if I'd be on the same page with everyone else ;) Glad someone else mentioned it :) Probably the fairest way too, just because of less distance between picks.

Who else thinks it should be 4 or 5? These are the thoughts up for grabs right now. I like the idea of either, but leaning towards 5 personally since I figure you can lock away 2 young prospects and keep 3 stars, or load up with 4 or 5 starters and to hell with the future/hope to draft young early next year. Keep in mind, roster size is 14. (But is 14 ok or should we go full NBA style and go 15? and add a 3rd Utility?)

This is good, like I said, I don;t want it to be MY league, want it to be a group decision and input.

The way we're filling up, we should be drafting next week sometime. At the moment I'm looking squarely at the time currently set, Midnight Friday Night, as Sunday Morning sometime was likely the next choice, but I am not sure of even my own availability at that time on the 19th.

I think 4-5 is good. The positive with a lower number is you make the draft next year a bit more exciting with more players to choose from. The positive of higher numbers is there is more of an ownership feeling to your team because you get to keep more of it together and just have to build around the core with some extra pieces.

I would like to join but it's going to depend on the draft day set. I'm driving up to Coffs Harbour on the 19th-21st. Considering it is a long-term keeper league i would definetly want to be there for the draft. Pre-draft ordering just doesn't give it that same personal touch.

I think 4-5 is good. The positive with a lower number is you make the draft next year a bit more exciting with more players to choose from. The positive of higher numbers is there is more of an ownership feeling to your team because you get to keep more of it together and just have to build around the core with some extra pieces.

I would like to join but it's going to depend on the draft day set. I'm driving up to Coffs Harbour on the 19th-21st. Considering it is a long-term keeper league i would definetly want to be there for the draft. Pre-draft ordering just doesn't give it that same personal touch.

Well we currently have 8 of the 12 spots filled, and details have been sent to...at least 1 other, and there's been a reply here by a completely new member that I am yet to confirm is in or out. So given we are nearly full, I would be thinking we draft during the week next week, likely midnight Friday night, the 17th/18th. This gives enough time for everyone to know when the draft date/time is and we'll be set, as well as time between the start of the season to settle with rosters :)

Will send you details anyhow ;)

Well if you want to post us a link when you have created a league, either post the link here or send to our yahoo email address, shoot me a email anytime to [email protected]

Atleast 5 keepers, the more the better I say how about 6?

One thing I wanted to query in the league settings, as there's no maximum games or limits on acquisitions, it means those that are most active will likely be most successful, would you think about limiting the amount of moves per week to limit the daily traders who will pick up as many players as poss to max their chances.

Friday midnight is good for me, weekends not so much.

Agree with Draft, bugger the snaking off and give the lower places a chance. You watch the end of season tanking!!!

Hope yall like hairy arses, cos ya gunna be lookin at mine for years to come!!

cheers
Steve

How about keep as many or as little as you chose, one team may only want to keep 2 players, others may want 8. You just miss a round of the draft for each extra player, did that make sense?

Anyone wanna trade this years first round pick for my next year pick 1&2 :)

Can we pre-determine the draft order so I can try to trade up, I've copped last pick in my last 2 drafts :-(

Yeah 5 keepers is perfect if we are playing 14-15 deep. Any less deep you'd have to go to 4 keepers.
As far as the draft goes a Sunday Lunch time or Friday midnight is fine for me.
I think for 2 yr and so on you give the last place a pick of where they would like to draft from, all the way down the line to 2nd place(they take their pick of what is left) so 1st doesn't get a choice. Thats their leveler ......thoughts?

Atleast 5 keepers, the more the better I say how about 6?

One thing I wanted to query in the league settings, as there's no maximum games or limits on acquisitions, it means those that are most active will likely be most successful, would you think about limiting the amount of moves per week to limit the daily traders who will pick up as many players as poss to max their chances.

Friday midnight is good for me, weekends not so much.

Agree with Draft, bugger the snaking off and give the lower places a chance. You watch the end of season tanking!!!

Hope yall like hairy arses, cos ya gunna be lookin at mine for years to come!!

cheers
Steve

How about keep as many or as little as you chose, one team may only want to keep 2 players, others may want 8. You just miss a round of the draft for each extra player, did that make sense?

Anyone wanna trade this years first round pick for my next year pick 1&2 :)

Can we pre-determine the draft order so I can try to trade up, I've copped last pick in my last 2 drafts :-(

Yeah aquisitions can be limited on a weekly basis...or perhaps we just set it for weekly changes? That stops all that rot of adding and dropping that can be done. That fine for everyone? Would be a monday deadline (US time, so ~6-7pm Monday EST) cut off time. That cool?

Intruiging thoughts on keep as many as you like...I don;t see anything wrong with that actually, cause people might want to stockpile youth and keep their Vets, or draft all vets 1 year and start again the next? That actually sounds really good :)...What's everyone's take on this idea?

As for pre-determining the draft order, you mean like pulling it out of a hat/using random.org and I set it in stone? That could be done...would allow for people to josle for draft spots I spose...This would definately be an option in subsequent years because we would know the set order 12th-1st re-occuring...so could definately try some sort of trading up arrangement...However for this start, I think Yahoo randomly allocating half an hour prior could be fairest...but lets see what others think!

People, discuss!

Yeah 5 keepers is perfect if we are playing 14-15 deep. Any less deep you'd have to go to 4 keepers.
As far as the draft goes a Sunday Lunch time or Friday midnight is fine for me.
I think for 2 yr and so on you give the last place a pick of where they would like to draft from, all the way down the line to 2nd place(they take their pick of what is left) so 1st doesn't get a choice. Thats their leveler ......thoughts?

So you mean 2nd and subsequent years, you give 12th back towards 1st choice of where to draft and still do it snaking? Or shall we just go 12th-1st and forget the snaking so it's set 12th-1st each round?

I've got the keeper draft explained in excel format, I'll email it to you commish and lmk what you think (and if it makes sense).

I've got the keeper draft explained in excel format, I'll email it to you commish and lmk what you think (and if it makes sense).

Cheers recieved :) You in 1 on another site are you? ;) haha

That makes perfect sense and I like it :) I think I like the idea of choosing how many players you want to keep, cause it'd be like the NBA where people go for a Vet roster to win now, or a younger roster to build and such.

How would I post this up on here? (An excell spreadsheet, so people can see?) Perhaps alter the team names to X1-X12 just to keep privacy ;)

Need 2 more players too! Got a mate that wants in, preferably from this site, let me know :)

Joe, you're currently in the league, but I am unsure on whether that is to stay...as we don;t really know you I am worried about potential inactivity and I am unsure who else I have invited to the league :lol: Please let us know more about yourself here and arrest some of our worries.

Oh yeah I did use the rosters from the other OZcards league I'm in ...oops.

I did that all by myself...pretty clever eh!! ;-)

I couldn't post it on here either and it's a bit hard to explain without the examples. You can email it to the league when we are full (yes please change the names).

Oh yeah I did use the rosters from the other OZcards league I'm in ...oops.

I did that all by myself...pretty clever eh!! ;-)

I couldn't post it on here either and it's a bit hard to explain without the examples. You can email it to the league when we are full (yes please change the names).

No worries, will do. I am thinking the personal choice of how many you keep is good thing, and no one has said anything against it yet!

I'm happy to go with personal choice. It sounds good in theory, not sure if the end result will be everyone keeping everything that is reasonable and then the draft consisting of rookies and dregs.

Happy to give it a shot.

Restricting the amount of moves made during the week is fine by me....What? max 2-3 moves per week? Not so sure about not having mid-week acquisitions though....we are in a keeper league to add a bit more hands on, long-term management, GM vs GM etc. Saying teams cant pick up free agents mid-week takes a bit away from the fantasy league IMO.

I'm happy to go with personal choice. It sounds good in theory, not sure if the end result will be everyone keeping everything that is reasonable and then the draft consisting of rookies and dregs.

Happy to give it a shot.

Restricting the amount of moves made during the week is fine by me....What? max 2-3 moves per week? Not so sure about not having mid-week acquisitions though....we are in a keeper league to add a bit more hands on, long-term management, GM vs GM etc. Saying teams cant pick up free agents mid-week takes a bit away from the fantasy league IMO.

Very valid point...I was thinking about that, since we're in a more serious league surely we wouldn;t have the usual mega add and drop...will set it to say 3 moves a week, but in special circumstances (like perhaps half someones team goes down injured :lol:) or something, I can always open it to a couple more for people in need :)

I'll send you the spreadsheet Mully sent me so you can check out the idea of keeping as many as you see fit :)

Back
Top Bottom