Wow, what is your oppinion on this.

I'm not a parent, but I do observe (being a naturally gifted fiction writer, it's kind-of hardwired into me) and this is what I have observed of the younger generation (the y gen and after) - though not all are lazy, inconsiderate and amoral, a good number of them are. Why? Couple of reasons - Australian TV has become dominated by American TV the last 15, 20 years. At first, there were still some good, wholesome, moral TV shows coming out - Rosanne, Family Ties come to mind. But then, we had the trash come out - Beverly Hills 902010, The Hills, OC, Gossip Girl, Dawson's Creek. All of these shows have the same message - it's okay to sleep around, stab your friends in the back, bitch about them behind their back and generally be self-righteous, disrespectful brat. Furthermore, the advent of X-Games is pushing more and more kids to the skateparks when they should be at school - how many of the X-Game "Stars" have an an education that goes beyond year 9? By listening to them talk on the ads (that's all i can stand and even then just barely), very few of them. Then you have to throw in the politically correct movement - when it started, it was fine, it spoke up for the right things. Nowadays? Simply telling a child no is viewed as child-abuse, disciplining a child is child-abuse. Accoriding to the politically correct view, no-one has the right to tell a child (anyone under the age of 18 is viewed - legally - as being a child) what to do. Where does this lead to? A society that is going down the drain. If this sort of crap is allowed to go on (what I have previously described), in three generations five percent of our nations population will be employable? The rest? Will have an attitude, will refuse to listen to direction and will have no education beyond year 8 and no work skills so they will be leaching of the dole. Rather doomsday-ish, I know but a lot of us here will agree with it. A final factor we have to consider is peer pressure, if a parent's hands are tied by political correctness gone rampant, then 9 times out of ten it will be monkey see, monkey do in regards to peer pressure.

It's not necessarily fair to blame parenting. Take me for example. I come from an abusive background. My father was abusive and when he wasn't, he was distant. He was also unfaithful to his marriage vows. He was a drinker (not big time and that didn't cause the abusiveness), and a heavy smoker until he quit in 1983. Me? I'm still single at 37 (my choice), have been in two serious relationships where I respected the woman completely and never once cheated. I am a very seldom drinker and a light smoker. If I am a product of my parenting it's because I have learnt first hand what not to do and have gone the opposite path. I'm not looking for sympathy in this statement, I only made it to show the point that it's not always about parenting. there are many other factors to be considered.

Back
Top Bottom