Brian Lara 375 card

Jakenz

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jake
eBay User
Jakean-8648
So can anyone tell me does the Brian Lara 375 card actually have a legitimate auto card ? There is zero mention of it in the official Futera file which makes me think this card was modified unofficially. I know the Don Bradman gold stamp 1-10 cards was added after Futera had finished up but was made official but the same can’t be said about this card. I know if you look on nazim cricket card sets he has this card labelled as an official card to the 96 decider series so my question to Futera collectors do you or should we consider this card as part of the decider series ?

image.jpg

I personally don’t consider it an official Futera card because the stamp on the signature card isn’t anything I’ve ever seen on any Futera card before or since. There was discussion somewhere about this card not that long ago.

I'll have a look for the discussion that was had but thanks for your input. I'm also on the same side of the fence as you on that card diff colour pens strange stamps no official word of such card

Full transparency, I am an owner of one of this cards, the blue signature variation. There are two types: a black signature and a blue signature.

The reasons it became a chase card for me are (See some of my favourite cards here: IG LondonCardCollector) :
  1. I had the same issue with the embossing until I realized there were official Futera auto soccer cards at the time with similar embossing. Additionally, this was arguably their very last product. Their final series set was the Decider product. The 375 cards were produced for this set but were too late to make it into the product, so late that they weren't even included on the packaging. Base cards, samples, and autographs were all sold off individually, likely around the time of bankruptcy ~1997.
  2. A well-known Futera employee was present when the 15 cards were signed and has shared this publicly.
  3. Earlier this year, Brian Lara, during one of his speaking engagements, was asked about the card and knew it well. He confirmed that there were 15, but he kept 3, so only 12 were sold. Lara also mentioned that a new set featuring him, Warne, and Muralitharan was about to be released (was possibly going to be Upper Deck... don't quote me on that though, pretty sure it wasn't Futera). He even has samples from it, but with Warne's passing, it was cancelled or put on hold. I would love to get my hands on some of those samples!
  4. Futera file (not produced by Futera) is an amazing resource, but is not complete and has missed many cards.
So, while I can't speak for others, I am confident enough that it is real (not pack pulled, but non of the 375 are). My only AHHHH is that there is both a black and a blue ink variation, and now I need the black one.

Last edited:
If helpful here is one of the sets. They would stamp the redemption https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.com/2019/12/futera-manchester-united-fc-1998-05.html visible in the Ole card here. Outside of this period ~1997/98 I am not aware of Futera embossing cards.

Is this set produced by Futera Australia or after they folded and Futera UK took over? To me they are 2 different eras of Futera, and as an Aussie kid growing up collecting cricket cards I would only ever collect the Australian Futera released stuff. When I talk about Futera I’m only referring to the Aus made stuff.

Thanks for the message Luke so many questions I’m not sure where to start but always good to debate such topics. I’m still not completely sold on it all if I’m to be completely honest. My biggest question is why would futera change the embossing on the card after having such great success with the gold stamp auto authentic Bradman Warne border etc and if these cards were produced at the start of the 96 decider series and missed the cut off date why is there mention of 13 sample cards and no mention ever off an auto ? Do you have a close up photo we could see of your card luke with the embossing if that’s not to rude to ask off you ?

if this Lara auto card had the gold stamp embossing auto authentic 1 normal coloured black pen and running numbers 1-15 I doubt we would even be discussing this topic but the fact that the numbers are not running 1-15 different embossing zero mention off any card must surely be enough evidence to prove that this card was not official. Much like the don Bradman 1-10 auto gold stamp it was added in maybe 96 or 97 if I’m correct when the set it came from was 93/94 now they also don’t have running numbers however the cards were made official and there’s enough documentation surrounding it to make the card official the same can’t be said about the Lara card and no offence Luke but if Brian Lara own 3 off these cards himself he’s going to say what he can to make them more valuable it’s just human nature so unfortunately I don’t think we could even take Mr B. Lara word on it and no offence to the great man so how do we get a resolution on this card ?

My thoughts on this card.

Genuine autographed, but not autographed as part of the official release.

Makes no sense that it would be signed in blue and have the odd stamp, when the other autos were black with no stamps.

I would say autographed quite a while later as none ever appeared until a few years ago

Hey all, really apricate your thought. Not sure if I can provide the clarity that you need to feel one way or another. I had all these questions in my mind as well during the 2 years that i held off on purchasing one of the cards from a collector,. I can only say that If you look at the items i pickup and the research behind them, epically the Bradman match used bat, you'll have a sense of my diligence and love of research and ultimately the chase. Please view my responses as how I handed these issues, and you may or may not agree with them, and that's totally cool.

- Is this set produced by Futera Australia or after they folded and Futera UK took over?

Australian set. Wouldn't be surprised if during bankruptcy, UK Futera ended up with bunch of their stuff.

- and if these cards were produced at the start of the 96 decider series and missed the cut off date why is there mention of 13 sample cards and no mention ever off an auto?
Do you have a close up photo we could see of your card Luke with the embossing if that’s not to rude to ask off you ?

My sense from what i have heard is that the cards were produced end of 1996 (Futera File labels the card as 96/97). Futera were facing a bunch of issues by this time and were trying to move 375 individual cards without eBay and destroyed dealer relationships/ loss of licences/ bankruptcy . This is just speculation, but my general gut is that the autos were initially unplanned and that changed at some point.

As for the reference to the 13 samples, it's absolutely incorrect. There are many many more than 13. Pop over to my IG and you'll be able to see the card.

- if this Lara auto card had the gold stamp embossing auto authentic 1 normal coloured black pen and running numbers 1-15 I doubt we would even be discussing this topic but the fact that the numbers are not running 1-15 different embossing zero mention off any card must surely be enough evidence to prove that this card was not official. Much like the don Bradman 1-10 auto gold stamp it was added in maybe 96 or 97 if I’m correct when the set it came from was 93/94 now they also don’t have running numbers however the cards were made official and there’s enough documentation surrounding it to make the card official the same can’t be said about the Lara card and no offence

100% agree, why did Futera create such a mess. Couldn't even match the Border redemption #'s with the card #/50 day 1. The Bradman was auctioned off in Jan of 1996, so they were definitely using the gold emboss still. Exact dates of the signing are fuzzy to me.

- Luke but if Brian Lara own 3 off these cards himself he’s going to say what he can to make them more valuable it’s just human nature so unfortunately I don’t think we could even take Mr B. Lara word on it and no offence to the great man so how do we get a resolution on this card ?

Wasn't really a concern for me. However, he gave them to family members (brothers etc). He is a multi millionaire.

- Genuine autographed, but not autographed as part of the official release. Makes no sense that it would be signed in blue and have the odd stamp, when the other autos were black with no stamps.

Knowing Futera's History and the timing of the card, they could have made it easier for us, but it's Futera like, in that there is little rhyme or reason to anything. The other black autos of course have the stamp as well, there are examples of them. I'm guessing you're referring the the black autos that are just player signed and not released by Futera.

At the end of the day, everyone will have their own threshold for what they chase. I reached mine on this card. Everyone may have been lying to me, but can't really control for that and the stories line up too well in my eyes. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, take of it what ya will.

Last edited:
My thoughts on this card.

Genuine autographed, but not autographed as part of the official release.

Makes no sense that it would be signed in blue and have the odd stamp, when the other autos were black with no stamps.

I would say autographed quite a while later as none ever appeared until a few

Hey all, really apricate your thought. Not sure if I can provide the clarity that you need to feel one way or another. I had all these questions in my mind as well during the 2 years that i held off on purchasing one of the cards from a collector,. I can only say that If you look at the items i pickup and the research behind them, epically the Bradman match used bat, you'll have a sense of my diligence and love of research and ultimately the chase. Please view my responses as how I handed these issues, and you may or may not agree with them, and that's totally cool.

- Is this set produced by Futera Australia or after they folded and Futera UK took over?

Australian set. Wouldn't be surprised if during bankruptcy, UK Futera ended up with bunch of their stuff.

- and if these cards were produced at the start of the 96 decider series and missed the cut off date why is there mention of 13 sample cards and no mention ever off an auto?
Do you have a close up photo we could see of your card Luke with the embossing if that’s not to rude to ask off you ?

My sense from what i have heard is that the cards were produced end of 1996 (Futera File labels the card as 96/97). Futera were facing a bunch of issues by this time and were trying to move 375 individual cards without eBay and destroyed dealer relationships/ loss of licences/ bankruptcy . This is just speculation, but my general gut is that the autos were initially unplanned and that changed at some point.

As for the reference to the 13 samples, it's absolutely incorrect. There are many many more than 13. Pop over to my IG and you'll be able to see the card.

- if this Lara auto card had the gold stamp embossing auto authentic 1 normal coloured black pen and running numbers 1-15 I doubt we would even be discussing this topic but the fact that the numbers are not running 1-15 different embossing zero mention off any card must surely be enough evidence to prove that this card was not official. Much like the don Bradman 1-10 auto gold stamp it was added in maybe 96 or 97 if I’m correct when the set it came from was 93/94 now they also don’t have running numbers however the cards were made official and there’s enough documentation surrounding it to make the card official the same can’t be said about the Lara card and no offence

100% agree, why did Futera create such a mess. Couldn't even match the Border redemption #'s with the card #/50 day 1. The Bradman was auctioned off in Jan of 1996, so they were definitely using the gold emboss still. Exact dates of the signing are fuzzy to me.

- Luke but if Brian Lara own 3 off these cards himself he’s going to say what he can to make them more valuable it’s just human nature so unfortunately I don’t think we could even take Mr B. Lara word on it and no offence to the great man so how do we get a resolution on this card ?

Wasn't really a concern for me. However, he gave them to family members (brothers etc). He is a multi millionaire.

- Genuine autographed, but not autographed as part of the official release. Makes no sense that it would be signed in blue and have the odd stamp, when the other autos were black with no stamps.

Knowing Futera's History and the timing of the card, they could have made it easier for us, but it's Futera like, in that there is little rhyme or reason to anything. The other black autos of course have the stamp as well, there are examples of them. I'm guessing you're referring the the black autos that are just player signed and not released by Futera.

At the end of the day, everyone will have their own threshold for what they chase. I reached mine on this card. Everyone may have been lying to me, but can't really control for that and the stories line up too well in my eyes. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, take of it what ya will.
Hay luke

Thanks for your detailed opinion on why you believe this auto Lara card is a legitimate Futera realease and why you chased it. For me personally I’m still sitting on the other side of the fence to you which is that off a personal opinion that the Lara auto is not a legitimate card just not enough documentation for me im on the theory that this card was made after the fact. But its always great to be able to debate and discuss these matters.

If there are any ex Futera employees that float around this site and have any info or insight towards this card we would love to hear your opinion on it ? but would also be good to see what everyone thinks?

1. If you think this card is legitimate leave a 1. In the comments

2 . If you think this card is not legitimate leave a 2 in the comments

Be great to get some numbers surrounding this subject

🤨If you're serious about going down the rabbit hole, there are former Futera staff (employed during 1996/97) in this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1513091065629495 and they speak quite publicly in there You can also connect with Lara via his agent on IG.
Hay luke
Please know I mean no offence at all when chatting with you regarding your opinion. I do know your a big collector and have done alot of research in regards to it and can definitely respect your input. I think deep down we would all love to get to the bottom of this subject for future present and past collectors to be certain and made public of the matter either way. I don't have Facebook but I did put a post above asking to hear from past employees that maybe floating around this site and just a general idea on what other collectors think around this card. But once again Luke no offence ment ✌

The Lara signature 375 card was pictured and quite robustly discussed on the FB group 3 or 4 months ago - with former Futera employees engaging and giving their opinions and first hand experiences of how the Lara signature 375 card came about.

As maybe (one of) the biggest Decider collectors I was a bit sceptical at first, but ... I'm thinking that with the debacle that Futera was at the end - with everyone running for the doors with whatever they could get their hands on - the Lara signature card is most likely as "official" as it could be. I believe it was planned to be official however Futera Australia burnt down in the meantime and events overtook any chance of an ordered release.

I don't doubt that the signature is real, the embossed seal ?? apparently was used for some other Futera cards towards the end, no mention in the Futera book ?? I have a LOT of Decider stuff not mentioned in the Futera book so that means little to me.

The 13 375 Sample cards as per the Futera book ?? - there are quite a few more than that - think I had 4 at one stage and I saw another guy with 7 I recall.

The blue and black signatures on the 15 signature cards ?? who knows - maybe Lara's pen ran out of ink....... ! :)

So - overall I would consider the Lara signature card to be well worth having as part of any Decider Master set.

Cheers
John

The Lara signature 375 card was pictured and quite robustly discussed on the FB group 3 or 4 months ago - with former Futera employees engaging and giving their opinions and first hand experiences of how the Lara signature 375 card came about.

As maybe (one of) the biggest Decider collectors I was a bit sceptical at first, but ... I'm thinking that with the debacle that Futera was at the end - with everyone running for the doors with whatever they could get their hands on - the Lara signature card is most likely as "official" as it could be. I believe it was planned to be official however Futera Australia burnt down in the meantime and events overtook any chance of an ordered release.

I don't doubt that the signature is real, the embossed seal ?? apparently was used for some other Futera cards towards the end, no mention in the Futera book ?? I have a LOT of Decider stuff not mentioned in the Futera book so that means little to me.

The 13 375 Sample cards as per the Futera book ?? - there are quite a few more than that - think I had 4 at one stage and I saw another guy with 7 I recall.

The blue and black signatures on the 15 signature cards ?? who knows - maybe Lara's pen ran out of ink....... ! :)

So - overall I would consider the Lara signature card to be well worth having as part of any Decider Master set.

Cheers
John
Hi John
Thanks for your reply to the post. I havent had the chance to be able to read the facebook discussion that was had as I’m not on there. but luke had mentioned it above that it’s worth a read I understand your both big collectors so I will say it’s nice to have your input towards it. And definitely adds more interest in the card. I used to love collecting Futera cricket cards as a kid I’m guessing much like the rest off you but it’s always good to research what your collecting and this card seems to have the Futera world divided and no clear definitive answers to it.

Back
Top Bottom