Why do you Collect, Who you Collect??

Benny J

Mr Big Shot...
Real Name
Ben
eBay User
15DVS
Something I have been a bit curious about is Why people collect, who they collect.

Me, I collected Dennis Rodman and have moved to Dwight Howard. I collect these players because i love the way they play and it is in a similar fashion to me (although much better :rolleyes: ). Both are big rebounders and on their day can shut down any offence.

So, why do you collect who you collect. There are the obvious players to collect...Jordan, Kobe, etc, but i am very curious with people like Mavs (Devin) and Metallica (Ricky D) who collect not nessessarily the most high profile players. Also, Chad (vintage) and other set collectors??

Thoughts?? and opinions??

i collect Artest coz i love his intensity, even if it does mean fighting with the pistons fans

i collect Darko coz he has become somewhat of an enigma - THe Human Victory Cigar, also it appears tho now he is going to become a decent player

and im going to start collecting Adam Morrison, becoz again, i love his intensity

I collect Channing Frye because I saw great potential in his NBA debut and he wasn't a high profile rookie so I could get a lot of his cards with relative ease. Seems he has taken off a bit in the states though so some of his stuff is harder to win now! :( Not collecting him as intensely as I was, instead I am trying to finish off my 04-05 SOS collection which is getting tougher by each one I find!

The basic Fleer/Fleer Tradition sets from each year are all I collect. I think it all boils back to the fact that the 1st pack of NBA cards I ever opened was Fleer (90/91) And then getting back into the hobby I realised that all the sets I had were Fleer so i'd better collect them all.
Then they went broke...and this year to continue having a Fleer set from every year, I had to collect the Hoops cards...at least they have the Fleer logo on the back!!!

i COLLECTED a few players for many reasons. Alonzo was simple, in my mind the greatest warrior in basketball history and my favourite player. LJ because he and ZO in my mind made the best young frontcourt duo of all time. Offensively and defensively.

Delonte West, Jameer Nelson, Kirk Snyder and Kris Humphries I collected because I had just got back into collecting and I had fallen in love with the rookie designs. These guys were high first round picks but cheap ones on the market!

Now I collect Marion, because I think he's the most versatile player in the league and one of my favourites as well as one of the most athletic.

I'm looking at collecting a new player now simply because of boredom.

I collect Ricky Davis because hes my favourite player period. When i first got ESPN with fox i recall seeing him play a few times with the cavs. And ive watched sportscenter since he was with the hornets and he was a human highlight film for a little while,. I remember when he had 4 or 5 dunks in the top 10 plays of the week and when he dunked over nash, his alley oop he pulled off from a halfcourt pass and his head was above the rim and he also pulled off the under the legs jam in a game which you can see on the 04-05 topps. Hes not just a good dunker to, hes a great score and a very good man to man defender. He always beats Kobe when they go head to head ;)
I also used to follow most his games at school or home with the cavs and celts, following the box score and listening to the game over the radio broadcast. And it's also good to collect a player who not everyone collects lol :lol: And to me hes the most exciting player to watch :)

i could list alot more reasons but it would take to long ;)

I collect Hakeem cause I always love the fact that he was unstoppable and was fast a agile for his size when bigman ruled the half court game. As well as the fact he did everything well and he's a top bloke.

But that ones obvious cause he's a superstar but I collect Rip Hamilton cause when he plays he plays with his heart on his sleeve. His work ethic is amazing and the fact that he never stops running, even through all those screens. He a working class player, and doesn't hype himself up and plays for the team not for his profile.

I collect Wade, Allen & Iverson for no other reason than that they're hot :)

Dream34 said:
I collect Hakeem cause I always love the fact that he was unstoppable and was fast a agile for his size when bigman ruled the half court game. As well as the fact he did everything well and he's a top bloke.

But that ones obvious cause he's a superstar but I collect Rip Hamilton cause when he plays he plays with his heart on his sleeve. His work ethic is amazing and the fact that he never stops running, even through all those screens. He a working class player, and doesn't hype himself up and plays for the team not for his profile.

Could not argue with that!

Well, when I started collecting, I was into Barkley, thought he was the shit! He would always out-hussle others for the boards. Had a lot of heart for a little-big man. Not to mention one of the cockiest of the game for his generation.

After he joined Houston, I was a Rockets man. When he retired, I didnt know what to do. I started to faze out with the card hobby when I left High School, and onto College.

A few years back, after joining Ebay, I started collecting again. For some reason, I had developed an instant liking to Iverson, and also Dirk and the Mavs. Decided that AIs cards were just TOO expensive to collect, and stopped. Kept building some Dirks, but mainly all Base/Commons.

Come 04-05 Draft, and I hear the Mavs get hold of this young gun Devin Harris. Decided to do my homework, and just went with a hunch, never seen him play a minute on the court!!!

After seeing him play, I know I've made the right choice. He's an absolute gun, and is definately someone I'm proud to say I collect.

Great topic, I must say!

jimboiitmac said:
i COLLECTED LJ because he and ZO in my mind made the best young frontcourt duo of all time. Offensively and defensively.

Didn't know u collected LJ Jimbo??

I started with LJ cos he was big, powerful, they had cool unis and he was so charismatic and exciting. Then his back blew out and to be honest the dunks went missing and after I got a 1/1 LJ I lost interest and started breeding in about 2000!!!!

Back in 96 though I picked up all KG's 15 base rookie cards - it was after LJ's back had gone and I wanted to make sure I collected someone who was tall and I liked wolves!!!!! Also the fact he was from high school made him intriguing!
I never saw KG play till about 96-97 or even the year after - then it turned out he was just as charismatic as LJ and I believe he plays as hard as if not harder than anyone. As TD said - "no one wants to win more than KG"
I love the way he plays, he can do it all and he is a dead set fierce competitor!!

That's what I like about KG

hehe awesome topic :D
I collected Spree because wen i got my first pack of basketball cards (UD 93-94 i think) i pulled a latrell sprewell card that had "all rookie team" on it and i looked at his stats n thought he would be awesome one day so started collecting him str8 away.. then after he did his thing with the warriors (now one of the reasons why i hate the spurs, stupid carlesimo shouldnt of put his neck in the way :p) and got suspended it was 95/96 season and all my mates were collecting the other rookies (ai steph kobe 'toine) so i figured i would go with a quite ude he never got any recognition (plus i liked vancouver) thus onto R33fer and then when He Got Game came out i watched that (and still do at least once a month) and saw this basketball player dude who ruled n then i found out he was a nba player so i started collecting him.. plus that Jumper is sooooo sweet lol and Now i also collect some of diaw's stuff because i believe he will be the next player in league history to average a 3/2 for a season (and he gets me lots of Fantasy Points LOLLLL)

jimboiitmac said:
i COLLECTED LJ because he and ZO in my mind made the best young frontcourt duo of all time. Offensively and defensively.

Didn't know u collected LJ Jimbo??

It was last year, but because it's so hard to find his auto's and his top cards are so limited i only picked up rookies, inserts and commons. Had i think over 300 of him and ZO combined.

I started with shaq coz i got him in my first pack of cards in 93'94 topps all star but after a while i came to like penny as my fav coz he was a guard like me n i baisically liked him as my fav all time but when he became injured n stuff my next fav became iverson but now ive found someone who could end up likin better then penny n thats wade he is a GOD at bball :)

Soon as check in the site, saw this topic and caught my eyes on it.:)

First time i saw basketball card was year 93, that time i just start play hoops got addicit to (i think that why most member collect, I Love this game:lol: ). My neibought show me a basketball card since that i start to love it. My 1st pack was 93-94 hoops, after that bust like 3-4 box of it.

The player i collect was MJ only, every one will think (no other mj collector) hehe:D .Coz his moves, style the way he played the game just simply incredible good and unbeatable. My gola is collect every 1 of MJ cards, no matter how old or how long it takes!! :eek:

I collect fairy tales. As a Celtic collector starved of a ring since i saw the last three you tend to reminisce a little. Once upon a time there was a 6'10 center out of San Fransico U that led the US to the Melbourne Olypics gold medal, was NCAA player of the year but most said he couldn't score in the NBA.

He was drafted and played alongside 'Mr Basketball' Bob Cousy. Over the years others like Heinshon, Sam Jones, Havlicek, Ramsey, Sharman, KC etc came and they dominated professional sport like no other team before them or one since. DYNASTY!

Now legends and imortalised in NBA history, played with class, skill and the spirit of a Celtic.

I started off collecting Bird since I pulled his card out of 86 fleer and then traded for all the other Celts in the set. Started there and concentrated on Bird before giving up because of the greedy companies and oversaturated market they caused. Disalutioned I turned to the fairy tale players of the past that I admire and respect so much also seeing I could afford them now.

Never looked back :-D I like collecting and knowing exactly what I have. No injuries, no atitude, no trades and no hot cold card values. Just future generations hearing about the guys that put the league on the map and saved the sport profesionally.

chadjaja® said:
and they dominated professional sport like no other team before them or one since. DYNASTY!

chad, i'm not going to pretend that i kno anywhere near more about NBA history than you but what about the Lakers over the years? I rank the Celtics as the #1 team of all-time, but what about the Lakers with Chamberlain and Goodrich, Jerry West and others. 80's Lakers with CAP and Magic, Worthy etc?

Some other teams had years of dominance like New York, Philadelphia I think but they're time span was no where near Bostons or LA's.

I started collecting bball in 94-95 because my dad bought me a basketball ring for my bday and I just followed suit. I collected the rookie class such as Grant hill, Jason Kidd and Big Dog, but that stopped when I hit high school.

The player I collect now is Dwight howard as he was the first rookie card I had pulled when I started collecting again which was about 1 yr ago. Something about rookies that always gets me :rolleyes:

I can remember the bball craze of the early/mid 90's..and I got into playing. Some of my friends had cards too, and I always liked collecting things. My first pack was a fleer 93/94 jumbo pack. I got DRob in that pack as well, but I didnt think Id just collect one player, I was just happy with the one pack!

Collecting base sets became pretty boring (and easy) I remember begging my dad to go and buy me 3 cards from card Shaq in the mid-city centre. All 93/94 fleer cards, MJ, Ced Ceballos League Leader and a checklist...and that got me my first set!

Im not sure why exactly I chose DRob and the Spurs. I think I just liked the black uniforms, and he was a mad player that not many people collected. Like everyone was into the Bulls or the new expansion teams. But the spurs were always up there, and The Admiral was a good guy, he had mad stats and his cards had good pictures of swats and dunks etc.

And so its gone from there. I still dont really know why...its just my thing! LOL

I think ive never liked jumping on the bandwagon, so it has been a really great experience following the spurs and DRob through the years. The highs and lows.

Trey said:
Collecting base sets became pretty boring (and easy) I remember begging my dad to go and buy me 3 cards from card Shaq in the mid-city centre. All 93/94 fleer cards, MJ, Ced Ceballos League Leader and a checklist...and that got me my first set!
Trey said:
oh dude!! when i was like the age 8-12 or something i had no idea about value. I kept begging my mum to bring me to card shops.

One time at the card shaq I bought 20 commons for $20, $1 each, i thought they were so good!

There used to be a card shop in Hornsby before they opened the new westfields in the old centre. I bought like 30 packs from there and Series 1 of Skybox Premium Base for $10.

Back
Top Bottom