Why do you Collect, Who you Collect??

I started in 92 I think it was with Hoops. At the same time there was weekly NBA on TV on Saturdays and I remember watching the old history highlights of the Celtics and Bird. While everyone was into Shaq and Jordan and the big dunkers I liked the way a white guy who couldn't jump could control a game whenever he wanted and hit some crazy 3's at the buzzer. So I started colelcting Bird and actually copped alot of crap about it from the guys at school. I loved watching all the 80s highlights and even some from the 60s and 70s as those Celtics teams full of white guys were so dominant and played with so much passion. I always wanted to visit the Garden before they tore it down!

After Bird retired I looked for another Celtic to collect. 94/95 sets were coming out and who better than the Celtics up and coming Eric Montross......yes you heard right. I guess its lucky I had a break after that for a few years when I found a card shop closing down and $1 team packs of about 20 cards. Well I got a 96/97 Finest Series 2 of Walker and it got me interestred. I went to the only card shop in Adelaide and bought all there Walker's (About 30) then started to check his game out. Bought some dvd's from pontel and checked him out on eBay. THen things got a little crazy. I HAD to have every high end card and everything he was on. I loved how he played with so much passion and despite even being boo'ed by his home fans he kept playing hard. His game has changed alot (Stop jacking the 3 and get inside) but I think its because he too can't jump like he used to, but despite what anyone says he still plays with huge intensity with the passion to win.

I started out collecting Pippen & Abdur-Rahim in 97 actually had quite a few of each player even had a topps chrome ref rc of Rahim i couldnt spend that much coz i had no job at the time.

Rahim wasnt making much noise Pippen went to Rockets

Then the 98-99 season started and saw the Vinsanity dunk ova Big Dikembe then i thought hey im gonna collect Vince
(also coz he was almost in every top 10 play pursuaded me).Started my 1st year as an apprentice and bought a rookie card of him each week though he was very pricey so my collection had a kink in it So yeah.

Kobe collect him coz he plays like a freak and basically coz he is pretty sought after player

Josh Smith coz he's very good defensively,unselfish,rebounds can finish & i think he will be a rising star once he perfects that jumper :)

I started collecting Jordan because apart from the fact that he was the best player in the NBA, when I first bought a back of NBA cards (93/94 Hoops) I pulled the Jordan & Minor Face to Face card.....it was VERY cool back then and I was hooked ! Recently I could no longer afford to collect Jordan like i used to (Too many other hobbies) so I chose another Chicago Bulls player who's game I liked, was cheap to collect and had the potential to become more - Chris Duhon !

I am guessing most people start collecting card in 92-94, after watching shaq, mourning, penny, webber, also packs are cheap back then, I can still remember buying 5pks of 93/94 Hoops for $10, that's the time when I pulled my first "HIGH END" inserts, now there is quiz for ya guys, who was the sconend pick of 1993 draft??? Coz I pulled 93/94 HOOPS MAGIC ALL ROOKIE of him. That's was huge pull back then.

like alot of people on this site i started in this hobby back in 1991, collecting Hoops, Fleer & Skybox sets up to about 1995. Decided to have a look at my old collection in about the middle of 2004, and thought that i might get back into this hobby. Busted many boxers before i found this site, i wasn't really collecting any certain player just enjoyed busting boxers. After seeing a couple of people on this site collecting certain players or sets, i thought i might go down the direction of collecting 2 certain players. 1st player i started collecting was J.Rich, mainly cause i had pulled 4 of his autos from boxers breaks, did a bit of research on him found him to be a up and coming player that has improved each year in the NBA is a very exciting player to watch and also a back to back slam dunk comp winner. 2nd player is Ben Gordon, i wanted to collect a rookie from the 2004-05 rookies, i follow the Bulls (like alot of people cause of MJ & Pippen back in the 90's) Kept watching the replays of the bulls matches on nba.com and saw Ben Gordon can definately play, an outstanding shooter and a player that loves to have the ball in his hands when the game is on the line. I decided that Gordon was the 2nd player i would collect, but only his autos from his rookie year.

jimboiitmac said:
chad, i'm not going to pretend that i kno anywhere near more about NBA history than you but what about the Lakers over the years? I rank the Celtics as the #1 team of all-time, but what about the Lakers with Chamberlain and Goodrich, Jerry West and others. 80's Lakers with CAP and Magic, Worthy etc?

Some other teams had years of dominance like New York, Philadelphia I think but they're time span was no where near Bostons or LA's.

A Dynasty is a string of wins Jimbo ;) 11 titles in 13 years is a great run :D

Elgin Baylor retired without a ring by the way[-X And he was on LA's super team with West himself and Chamberlain against the old beaten up Celts. They couldnt' even beat the Celts in LA game 7:D

When I was a kid the Celts were number one! I started collecting in 86 and Bird was MVP and the Celts reigning NBA champs.

Easy choice for me with a brother that is a Lakers fan too :cool:

No other team comes close to the Green team :D

Man it's awesome reading why all u guys collect who u do. U can feel the passion!! From OZ-Antoine to Trey - awesome reads - amazing how many blokes started collecting in 92-95 as u said SP.

I bought my first pack from a shoe store! 93-94 upperdeck - pulled a skylights subset - beautiful - of MJ - still got it too - put that set together the hard way and then got my first LJ.....the rest is history

chadjaja® said:
I started collecting in 86 and Bird was MVP and the Celts reigning NBA champs.

Chad - If you started collecting back in 1986 please tell me you picked up a Jordan Rookie or two......they were next to nothing back then !

I had a handful of them Richo but traded them away over the years mate.

I had an Aunt in the US that kept us supplied with stuff. Probably busted about two boxes of it.

chadjaja® said:
A Dynasty is a string of wins Jimbo ;) 11 titles in 13 years is a great run :D

Elgin Baylor retired without a ring by the way[-X And he was on LA's super team with West himself and Chamberlain against the old beaten up Celts. They couldnt' even beat the Celts in LA game 7:D

When I was a kid the Celts were number one! I started collecting in 86 and Bird was MVP and the Celts reigning NBA champs.

Easy choice for me with a brother that is a Lakers fan too :cool:

No other team comes close to the Green team :D

ok, thanks for the info chad!!

i really love my NBA, and i get as much info as i can but it's hard when i wasn't alive during the olden days!! :p

Just thought i would bump this up....there are a lot of new members and a lot of changed collections....

I have changed my collecting ways a couple of times since my initial post. Rodman collection is over as is the Dwight :(

I started collecting sets recently....with the Ultimate Achievements Set and now the Trilogy Generations set....but i have also started collecting Okafor...big big unit with a defensive mindset....and most of all....his cards are affordable!!

So newbies....why do you collect who you collect!!

Anything and everything! 99% autos and GU stuff though.

I like keeping my eye out for Aussies, as well as players from the teams I support from each respective sporting league.

Good idea to bump it up Benny :)

I collect Kyle because of a combination of reasons. I'll preface this by saying that like benny said about his own game style being like the big guys he collected at the time (first post), I too have the similarities in my game to Kyle. I've always been a great 3 point shooter as when I first learnt about basketball for some reason I could just always shoot long distance. This then turned into my skill and pretty much everyone who knows me/has played with me/seen me play knows me as the 3pt man. And so, I've always liked the 3 ball and actually oddly enough find someone with a good shooting stroke much more exciting than someone who can dunk through their legs etc.

So back to Kyle! His 2nd year was about to start and I was reading up on potentials on Yahoo fantasy basketball and somehow found a link to him and read about his ability to hit the 3 (1 point of interest), then it was stating how he might have played himself into a bigger role (2nd point, fantasy value! haha). Anyhow, I ended up taking him into all my fantasy teams and he broke out and that sealed my interest. Funnily enough I didn;t start to seriously collect him in any way until a couple of years later, more cause I wasn;t collecting at all. But when I started, I went to him and the rest is history :)

yeah i dont really know why i collect, i guess i like to have complete collections of anything and everything, always been a David Robinson fan, i have a nice collection of his cards. But i must admit ive been away from the scene for a number of years. Found this site and thought i should go get my cards out and have a look at what i have i get back into it all. I also collect Music memorbilla and Footy Records, anything to do with Music or Sport really.

Im planning to go thought my cards again and post my want lists and stuff over the next few weeks

I collect Ron and Mourning for their commitment to defense. I believe they are all heart and hustle when it comes to playing. Leaves everything on the court. I think you need to be a nut job to do these things.

Wade - the things he did to the mavs during their '06 championship run was unbelievable. He willed...no imposed his will on the Mavs enroute to their Championship. That is heart...that was heart. The heat have been looking ordinary and un-interested as of late.

Tim Duncan - Most effective big man in the modern era. Every center/forward should be studying his post moves. 4 rings and all the humility in the world. Thank you TD. I am glad there are still role models in the NBA.

Manu - World Championships, International Championships, NBA Championships...True champion wherever he plays. Yes he flops alot. But isn't that all part of the game?

TP - Fearless, Tear-drops, effective and unbelievable finisher in the paint. Oh and he has Eva Longoria.

Bruce Bowen - Most hated defender in the modern era. Even as a Spurs fan I also believe he's a dirty player.

Shaq - Dominant big man in the modern era. Nothing else.

Dirk and Reg - Best clutch shooters in their respective time.

MJ - I collect his shoes, collecting his cards is a no-brainer. Tell that to my wife.

I used to collect Ray Allen (hence the name - Duh), because i used to work at Sports Card World - Adelaide for two years when i was younger.
Then when i left there, i was getting older, had year 12, and yeah just lost interest.
As i had no money, i never had anything really that decent of him.

Time went on, and i started collected items from my Latvian Background and found out that Andris Biedrins made it to the NBA and so i started collecting him. I think he is only in a few years of cards,. Is he in the 08 sets?

And now im looking at Lithuanian players also.

Mostly im lacking commons and common inserts. i have most of the autos/jsys except high-end

hey rey, I got 2 sarunas rc auto. one spx and one sp. let me know if you want em. I used to be a huge fan of him when he single handedly destroyed team usa. I always thought he'd flourish in the NBA as a clutch 3 point shooter. Sadly, they said he was too slow for the NBA. Heard he's with Israel right now doing very well. At least he made his NBA dream. If you want it. Just sent me 4 bits. For the postage, bubble mailer and toploader. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom