Who do you think is the NBA's next great player?

Hard to say really. Theres a bunch of really talented players coming through but who will be the next great one? Rondo is a good player but to be the next great can I put him above deron or chris paul? Probably not. Being a Hawks fan and seeing Al Horford play his whole rookie season and especially the playoffs where I thought he held his own against Garnett he could rise up to be considered one of the greats. For speculation and only seeing a few clippers games Al thornton could have a break out season this year with baron davis running the show. I would already have him in my team over players like Iguodala (sorry 76ers fans). Also if the fanfare is correct Oden should be a monster for portland. Seeing him go up against Howard this season should be one of the highlights of the year I would say. They are all good players but to be a great? In my mind that puts them up there with Lebron, jordan, Bird etc and thats just to hard to say for me. But I will.
Kevin Durant. Give him a couple more seasons and he will be the next Kobe IMO (scoring wise). If he can play with that sort of intensity that Kobe brings and the defence, he will be an absolute force.

Wow I'm really glad that I woke up this morning to find this many posters, talking about this topic!!! You guys in Australia love the NBA as much as I do, Yeahhhhhh!!!! The reason why I like Anthony Randoplh is b/c he is a hardworking and LONGGGGGG (6-10 with a 7-6 wingspan and still might be growing 7-1 maybe???) he is a lefty shooter which is a nightmare to defend, and he runs the floor like a deer and can handle the rock, great for the Warriors offense!!! He says he wants to pattern his game after and be a mix of these players (Garnett, Bosh, Odom, T. Prince) I smell a winner, he just needs to add 25 lbs. and he will be as good as Kevin Durant just in a differnet way,!!!!!

Hey Jimbo. Starbury got no love coz he is a punk and gained stats by simpy being Starbury.

And Gasol got no love as just like in the finals he proved he is soft. Simple.

And as for Bynum, I'll wait and see. Just how many players have we seen go on a small tear and thats it. It wont be hard for him to look tough next to Gasol and Odom LOL

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Monta yet..... that boy is a star!!! Also looking for Durant to have a monster 2nd season...... :thumbsup:

True that, Monta Ellis is an absolute stud, the guy can play no doubt.

IMO he's much more talented than Durant and will be a more exciting player, also add Kevin Martin to that list he was looking All-Star'ish till he got injured last season and still put up what like 24 ppg ?!

Kevin Durant I like, but I don't really get hyped about his game?

What'd he put up like 19/5/3?

I think he's a great individual player but IMO he's just a poor mans Carmelo..

Hey Jimbo. Starbury got no love coz he is a punk and gained stats by simpy being Starbury.

And Gasol got no love as just like in the finals he proved he is soft. Simple.

And as for Bynum, I'll wait and see. Just how many players have we seen go on a small tear and thats it. It wont be hard for him to look tough next to Gasol and Odom LOL

Haha I'm not talking about their off-the-court antics or behaviour patterns Chad, you said why does a 20 and 10 guy get no recognition, and I was agreeing with you, just naming some other players who put up impressive stats but didn't get the recognition.

And mjljoj23,

It certainly looks like Randolph has a lot of potential! :)
For his sake I hope it materialises, cause lately there has been TOO many athletic players who are top of the world in terms of potential, leaving the NCAA too early and they won't make a splash in the NBA any time soon because their games aren't developed.

HOPEFULLY Randolph is not Tyrus Thomas all over again.

Anyway, for everyone else I went onto NBA.com to see if I could find some younger players who will ascend to the household names of the Lebron's, Dirk's, Steve Nash's, Shaq's, Tim Duncan's etc !!

I think these players are kind of in the transition of that right now in terms of Chris Paul, David West, Deron Williams, Josh Howard, Brandon Roy but the players below have still got to prove that they are here for keeps!

Kevin Martin - 23.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg
Al Jefferson - 21.0 ppg, 11.0 rpg
Kevin Durant - 20.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg
Monta Ellis - 20.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 3.9 apg
Rudy Gay - 20.1 ppg, 6.2 rpg
Andre Iguodala - 19.9 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 4.8 apg
Danny Granger (HUGE PLAYER EVERYONE FORGOT!) - 19.6 ppg, 6.1 rpg
Mike Dunleavy - 19.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.5 apg
Ben Gordon - 18.6 ppg, 3.1 rpg
Lamarcus Aldridge - 17.6 ppg, 7.6 rpg
Josh Smith - 17.2 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 2.8 bpg

I those those guys are the ones most likely to step up to the plate.. but the guys below are not bad prospects either..

Marv Williams, Andrew Bogut, Raymond Felton, Rashad Mccants, Rajon Rondo, Emeka Okafor, Travis Outlaw, Al Thornton, Ryan Gomes, JR Smith, Jeff Green, Andris Biedrins, Al Horford, Craig Smith, Jordan Farmar, Jamario Moon, Thaddeus Young, Jason Maxiell, Rodney Stuckey

jimboiitmac said:
Danny Granger (HUGE PLAYER EVERYONE FORGOT!)

Great call! Such a versatile player!!

LaMarcus is another nobody other than jimbo mentioned. Lots of potential although I think he'll get completely overshadowed by a team that will probably consistantly contribute two to three all-stars to the West team each season (Portland).

Great call! Such a versatile player!!

LaMarcus is another nobody other than jimbo mentioned. Lots of potential although I think he'll get completely overshadowed by a team that will probably consistantly contribute two to three all-stars to the West team each season (Portland).

No doubt about that!

Not sure about Aldridge though, I think he'll get a lot of recognition, a "twin towers" kind of thing with Lamarcus and Greg.

And it's great because Aldridge has a great midrange game, Oden will be dominating inside. I think the main reason Aldridge hasn't got much cred up to this point, is his game appears a bit "soft". Like you just look at the numbers 17 and 7 and you watch him play, need some more rejections and highlight dunks!!

Danny Granger is going to be huge. I put a sticker on him during the 05 draft saying the kid was gonna be big and he's living up to it. Analysts said he'll be the Scottie Pippen type and from what he's shown up to now their not wrong!

Wow the Blazers are so stacked though haahha..

I wish Kevin Durant can be one cuz I've invested so much on his cards. but many ppl think he will bust in next season.:eek:

I wish Kevin Durant can be one cuz I've invested so much on his cards. but many ppl think he will bust in next season.:eek:

I don't think he'll bust.

He's a Carmelo Anthony type player, but probably longer and more athletic yeah?

I didn't really like all the hype he got in his first year, I mean he did a great job, but I didn't think his first year was comparable to a Brandon Roy or Chris Paul, I feel he was overhyped simply because he can score.

He's going to be an All-Star, but I think Jeff Green will turn out to be a better more rounded player than Durant.

I don't think he'll bust.

He's a Carmelo Anthony type player, but probably longer and more athletic yeah?

I didn't really like all the hype he got in his first year, I mean he did a great job, but I didn't think his first year was comparable to a Brandon Roy or Chris Paul, I feel he was overhyped simply because he can score.

He's going to be an All-Star, but I think Jeff Green will turn out to be a better more rounded player than Durant.

I have to say he may become another overvalued player, but so far hes done well. I like his modest manner and I think that will be the factor he will become a better player in the future. Not sure how great he will be, but he wont bust next season for sure.:)

I have to say he may become another overvalued player, but so far hes done well. I like his modest manner and I think that will be the factor he will become a better player in the future. Not sure how great he will be, but he wont bust next season for sure.:)

Yeah you dont know whether to feel sorry for him having to be the focal point of the team without Ray Allen in his rookie season, or be happy that he got free reign. I reckon if he didnt bust from the pressure last season he wont collapse this.

Jimbo - Green is the better defender for sure, but Durant i think is just so much more valuable to the team. I dont see Green becoming that x-factor but I think Durant does have it.

Durant is still young....wait till he puts some muscle on, and in 5 years time he is going to be a nice force. His wingspan with his offensive talent is rare. He is lucky to have the green light to shoot and develop other aspects of his game with the Sonics...opps.....i mean Thunder

Yeah you dont know whether to feel sorry for him having to be the focal point of the team without Ray Allen in his rookie season, or be happy that he got free reign. I reckon if he didnt bust from the pressure last season he wont collapse this.

Jimbo - Green is the better defender for sure, but Durant i think is just so much more valuable to the team. I dont see Green becoming that x-factor but I think Durant does have it.

Really?!

I was gonna say it was the other way around.

Kevin Durant is a unique talent, but there is a possibility he'll be a Rashard Lewis, or Melo at best, but I can't see him outsting the status of a Melo.

Jeff Green on the other hand, he just needs to develop his skills he's a very versatile player, I can see him becoming a Danny Granger, Pippen type package, IMO the ability to be versatile on BOTH ends of the floor makes you a much more intriguing prospect.

Really?!

I was gonna say it was the other way around.

Kevin Durant is a unique talent, but there is a possibility he'll be a Rashard Lewis, or Melo at best, but I can't see him outsting the status of a Melo.

Jeff Green on the other hand, he just needs to develop his skills he's a very versatile player, I can see him becoming a Danny Granger, Pippen type package, IMO the ability to be versatile on BOTH ends of the floor makes you a much more intriguing prospect.

Yeah the ability to be versatile on both ends of the floor does make you valuable to your time, but it doesnt make you the X-Factor imo. I just i think that Durant if he hits his peak, I can see him leading the sonics or thunder or w/e they are called lol to the playoffs. I see Green becoming a part of that but I dont see Green leading them to the playoffs without Durant hitting his straps?

Back
Top Bottom