Next Immortals / HOF inductees

Brendan_B

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Brendan
eBay User
Brendan3767
This is always discussion I enjoy, and the Immortal nomination drum seems to be beating at present.

Despite the terrible management of what could have been such a great concept, the process still has merit IMO.

So, who is next? Keeping in mind to be an Immortal you have to be a HOF inductee and to be HOF you have to have been retired for a minimum of 5 years.

Alfie Langer has popped up and Clyde as a dark horse (2 x CCM, how good) both are exceptional options however, is a coach an option? I would like to go further back.

Brett Kenny or Gene Miles for me. The latter might raise some eyebrows but anyone who saw this bloke play when the Brisbane competition was at its peak and then play for both QLD and Australia might agree.

Keen to hear your thoughts !!

This is always discussion I enjoy, and the Immortal nomination drum seems to be beating at present.

Despite the terrible management of what could have been such a great concept, the process still has merit IMO.

So, who is next? Keeping in mind to be an Immortal you have to be a HOF inductee and to be HOF you have to have been retired for a minimum of 5 years.

Alfie Langer has popped up and Clyde as a dark horse (2 x CCM, how good) both are exceptional options however, is a coach an option? I would like to go further back.

Brett Kenny or Gene Miles for me. The latter might raise some eyebrows but anyone who saw this bloke play when the Brisbane competition was at its peak and then play for both QLD and Australia might agree.

Keen to hear your thoughts !!
im with Billy Smith and Ron Coote.

Both Billy and Ron before my time. From what I have read and seen though, both very worthy.

I think that the older players should definitely be first.

As for HOF nominees, here are a few I think worthy.

Royce Simmons
Peter Dimond
Michael O'Connor
Craig Young
Steve Renouf

I am very anti Gene Miles. I reckon he was a very good player against weak opponents and teams. Went quiet when it was tough or his team was not on top. Also he was part of that unlimited interchange years in 1990s where he be on and off field so never had to make a tackle.
The greatest player I ever saw was Brett Kenny (IMO).
The next immortal I would be happy if coach but wouldn't want it to be yet.
Would like to see an older player before my time.
Someone like Dave Brown who seemed to smash records and be a superstar of his time??? No 90s or more modern than that (IMO)

I am very anti Gene Miles. I reckon he was a very good player against weak opponents and teams. Went quiet when it was tough or his team was not on top. Also he was part of that unlimited interchange years in 1990s where he be on and off field so never had to make a tackle.
The greatest player I ever saw was Brett Kenny (IMO).
The next immortal I would be happy if coach but wouldn't want it to be yet.
Would like to see an older player before my time.
Someone like Dave Brown who seemed to smash records and be a superstar of his time??? No 90s or more modern than that (IMO)
Dave Brown is already an Immortal, got up last round.

Interesting thoughts on Miles. I recall an interview with Sterlo outlining how good he was, the 86 Kangaroo tour is a good watch. That was a decent English team.

Also, Miles left the NRL (then NSWRL) in 91 before unlimited interchange (he went to Wigan and won the treble). I believe that he played in the period when if substituted, a player couldn’t return. The unlimited era started in maybe 97, SL I think.

Dave Brown is already an Immortal, got up last round.

Interesting thoughts on Miles. I recall an interview with Sterlo outlining how good he was, the 86 Kangaroo tour is a good watch. That was a decent English team.

Also, Miles left the NRL (then NSWRL) in 91 before unlimited interchange (he went to Wigan and won the treble). I believe that he played in the period when if substituted, a player couldn’t return. The unlimited era started in maybe 97, SL I think.
Yes, sorry meant him as an example. Someone in that era (Like Dave Brown) who was clearly dominate.
Watch an old State Of Origin with Chris Mortimer in the team for NSW. You won't see Miles very much. For such a big man he just stood wide and ran at little blokes. 1986 tour he was very dominant in a dominant team. It is only my opinion. Happy to be argued with especially by someone as knowledgeable as Sterlo but i am too stubborn to be swayed.

David Simmons once retired used to be part of the Panthers On The Prowl program bringing Panther players around schools. He was an outstanding speaker to the kids. Thank goodness as he used to bring players that said nothing eg shy islander boys, Bryce Cartwright. They would just stand there.

Kev Walters?

Brett Mullins?

Darren Smith?

Here is a bit of a left field with lime green bias..

Jason Croker

300 + premiership games (one NRL club), ESL. 120 tries, played every position aside from Fullback I believe.

Premiership winner
Australia and NSW rep
Tough as they come.

Kev Walters?

Brett Mullins?

Darren Smith?

Here is a bit of a left field with lime green bias..

Jason Croker

300 + premiership games (one NRL club), ESL. 120 tries, played every position aside from Fullback I believe.

Premiership winner
Australia and NSW rep
Tough as they come.
Left left left field Canberra suggestion......
Lui Bon. Played 1 first grade game YET was in the 1982 Scanlens cards and 1983 sticker set! That is stuff of legends!

Back
Top Bottom