The next Immortal- You Nomination and Why

I know what you mean about the (mainly Nine) commentators going completely overboard. They did it with SBW this year and it made me hate watching a game he was involved in.

But Andrew Johns is still the best player I've ever seen ... and I'm not the type to be biased because he played for my club. I would have watched him more closely than some of the other contenders for that crown, I do admit, though.

Joey revolutionised the half back role IMO. In an era of tremendous halves he was an absolute freak of a player. I personally think that Mal should have been an immortal before Joey but base that more on when they retired as opposed to being a better or more deserving.

If Joey had not been made an immortal last time then he would have been next for sure. The 2001 GF is getting alot of mentions but for me it is the 05 Origin when he came back from injury and dominated QLD that defines his immortal status.

I love the Immortal concept but think they should consider off field achievements related to league also.

They need something similar to what the AFL has with a Hall of Fame and a separate class within the HOF for the Immortals (AFL call them Legends).

But this whole conversation is probably a mute point at this stage given Joey IS ALREADY an immortal!:confused:

Thought id give this a bump with possibly another addition next year.

plenty of talk in the media that lockyer will be named as the next immortal.

For me its still Meninga who id like to see next. Seems to be once you have been overlooked a few times you basically dont get in, so guys like langer, sterling etc i cant see being considered too hard

my next few would be meninga, lockyer, JT when due and couldnt really see any other current players making the cut except maybe Cam Smith if they were generous

yeah looks like its Lockyer and Meninga Race for the next one. and JT will round out the 10 in a few years time.

All the recent Immortals have been players from the last 25 years or so, Both Provan and Summons are on the Trophy so induct them before it's too late, there's plenty of time for the rest!.

Don't really care any more, it's a magazine promotion that's got way out of hand, imo.

The ARL should rekindle the Hall of Fame. A couple of inductees into that each year would be much more interesting, to me.

Immortals should have stayed with the original four.

I think it is a wonderful concept and all Immortals so far are worthy. All of them are once in a generation players and by keeping the group so limited it has not been cheapened. The Hall of Fame hasn't had any inductees since 2007 but still seems to be active.

The NRL needs to wrest control of its Hall of Fame / Immortals / Dally M - Player(s) of the Year.

The Dally M should have each of the 17 players given a score out of 10 in each game played for the season. You might then see some of those big fellas who rip and tear get a nod instead of half backs each and every week.

The Immortals project, is sadly, a flawed magazine promotion. It doesn't include pre WWII players, of which there are many who changed the game. It ignores off field. And it's voted on by Ray Hadley and Phil Rothfield FFS!!! Really, Churchill was the best player of the 1950's, Raper and Gaz of the 1960's, Beetson and Fulton of the 1970's and Wally of the 1980's. I can accept Johns as the best of the 1990/early 00's. But you can't keep adding players to it IMHO. I still think people like Provan, Meninga, Sterling need to be given this status for what they did in the game and outside it.

A Hall of Fame where all players and clubs (not just QRL or NSWRL either) are recognised. Attach a museum to it, have plenty of history and memorabilia and merchandise and make it an awesome experience for everyone. All footy players who played 1 game or 400 deserve to be recognised, and the best ones in the HOF. That's just my opinion. It might not be right.

The NRL needs to wrest control of its Hall of Fame / Immortals / Dally M - Player(s) of the Year.

The Dally M should have each of the 17 players given a score out of 10 in each game played for the season. You might then see some of those big fellas who rip and tear get a nod instead of half backs each and every week.

The Immortals project, is sadly, a flawed magazine promotion. It doesn't include pre WWII players, of which there are many who changed the game. It ignores off field. And it's voted on by Ray Hadley and Phil Rothfield FFS!!! Really, Churchill was the best player of the 1950's, Raper and Gaz of the 1960's, Beetson and Fulton of the 1970's and Wally of the 1980's. I can accept Johns as the best of the 1990/early 00's. But you can't keep adding players to it IMHO. I still think people like Provan, Meninga, Sterling need to be given this status for what they did in the game and outside it.

A Hall of Fame where all players and clubs (not just QRL or NSWRL either) are recognised. Attach a museum to it, have plenty of history and memorabilia and merchandise and make it an awesome experience for everyone. All footy players who played 1 game or 400 deserve to be recognised, and the best ones in the HOF. That's just my opinion. It might not be right.

Couldn't agree more. And imagine if the NRL inducted the new Hall of Fame players each year at their own awards ceremony, it could be a huge occasion!

Not taking into account achievements off the field is certainly a flaw of the Immortal concept. While it did start as only a promotion only 4 further players have been added in 35 years and they were all giants of the game and worthy. Living Immortals form part of the panel also and to be selected by the elite is huge. I personally like the concept and would like to see it continue.

You make good points about the Dally M and HOF, these certainly need an overhaul

The two should be combined Hall of Fame as the controlling entity and the Immortals an elite part of the Hall of Fame.

To give the much debated concept of Immortals more validity they need to retrospectively vote 1 or maximum 2 past players from every decade in until approx each decade is represented evenly and then continue along those lines for the future. Perhaps adding in Coote / Meninga 80's another 90's etc if deemed worthy. It's judged soley on the best footballer of each generation and there's a lot more credible people than Hadley and Rothfield involved voting.

On another much debated topic; Norm "sticks" Provan, IMO he deserves the honour, yep it maybe sentimental but his record is phenomenal and stacks up against the best of the best, let's do him the honour while he's still with us.

Cheers
Ross

The two should be combined Hall of Fame as the controlling entity and the Immortals an elite part of the Hall of Fame.

To give the much debated concept of Immortals more validity they need to retrospectively vote 1 or maximum 2 past players from every decade in until approx each decade is represented evenly and then continue along those lines for the future. Perhaps adding in Coote / Meninga 80's another 90's etc if deemed worthy. It's judged soley on the best footballer of each generation and there's a lot more credible people than Hadley and Rothfield involved voting.

On another much debated topic; Norm "sticks" Provan, IMO he deserves the honour, yep it maybe sentimental but his record is phenomenal and stacks up against the best of the best, let's do him the honour while he's still with us.

Cheers
Ross
You are exactly right in everything you have stated Ross.

I agree with the expanded Hall of Fame and Immortals being the elite, all you need to do is look at the AFL and take some hints - dont have to copy it, but see what they do well and adapt your own style.

So many people should be recognised in the game that will never get immortal status, for example most forwards in the current game, but also people like Ray Warren, this is someone that is synonymous with Rubgy League despite not being a player I feel he should be recognised for his contribution to the game. Then there are others like Wayne Bennett, Gus Gould, Laurie Daily, Paul Vautin etc... that again are all a major part of League and should be recognised as such. I am ok with immortals being the on-field talent only, but that doesnt mean that you shouldn't recognise the other people that make the NRL the game we all love

I agree with the expanded Hall of Fame and Immortals being the elite, all you need to do is look at the AFL and take some hints - dont have to copy it, but see what they do well and adapt your own style.

So many people should be recognised in the game that will never get immortal status, for example most forwards in the current game, but also people like Ray Warren, this is someone that is synonymous with Rubgy League despite not being a player I feel he should be recognised for his contribution to the game. Then there are others like Wayne Bennett, Gus Gould, Laurie Daily, Paul Vautin etc... that again are all a major part of League and should be recognised as such. I am ok with immortals being the on-field talent only, but that doesnt mean that you shouldn't recognise the other people that make the NRL the game we all love
Agreed, there's a place in the Hall of Fame for many, that's the point we need to celebrate peoples achievements in league in broader sense and also recognise those deemed best of the best.

Back
Top Bottom