The greatest players that never were.....

hmmm id say Brian Grant when he was with the Blazers - he was a force in 98 and 99...and Rasheed was coming off the bench back then. If it wasnt for the lockout in 1999, Grant would have been an All-Star..then Wallace got more miniutes then in 2000 they got pippen/steve smith etc...and his playing time just went down. (Grant went to the Heat after that but yeah...wasnt the force he was with the blazers in 98 and 99)

Think somewhere along the thread, the disctinction between the greatest players that didn't make it, the most hyped player that didn't make it, the biggest flop in the draft that didn't make it, and the player with the most potential that didn't make it all got blurred.

Brian Grant for example was never a great player, at a peak of 15.2 ppg and a handful of rebounds, he would hardly qualify IMO. Priest Lauderdale would be in the biggest flop category, but he's not the only one, heaps of others like former no.1 pick Michael Olowakandi. Dajuan Wagner would fall in the most hyped player that didn't make it category (yet possibly), people forget that Rafer Alston, as good as he's playing now, was a playground legend who was a flop in his transition to the NBA.

Bill Walton and Grant Hill are probably the ones who missed the best years of their careers due to injuries. Grant Hill's role has changed, but if he were the lone gun now that he's a bit healthier, I have no doubt he'd be averaging 19 and 7 rebounds, 5 assists right now. At least he's got a tiny bit of hops left.

Totally agree about Grant Hill. He was the air apparent at one stage. He has still had a great career which a lot of players wish they could have had stat wise, but if he remained healthy it would have been some thing special with him. He was real good in college, but the way he transitioned to the NBA and got even better was incredible.

Sprewell was always fun to watch until the choking incident. He was still good in NY but he wasnt the cornerstone of the team like wehn he was with the Warriors and had a totally different role.

pretty much all the main players i collected in the mid 90's ended up not living up to potential

Kemp = fatty fat fat
Rider = tool
Baker = pissed

:(

Totally agree about Grant Hill. He was the air apparent at one stage. He has still had a great career which a lot of players wish they could have had stat wise, but if he remained healthy it would have been some thing special with him. He was real good in college, but the way he transitioned to the NBA and got even better was incredible.

He was in Lebron mode the 1st 6 years in this league. It's crap seeing good guys end up like that:cry:

Hi homies, i liked reading your posts .... i agree with Shawn "The Reign Man, Pass my burger and coke" Kemp ....

he could have been someone … but instead, chose to be no one … what a bumb .... a lazy one too!!

Back
Top Bottom