The greatest players that never were.....

gtfour

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Mark
Dont know if its been done before, but i was wondering what peoples opinions were on players they thought could have been great due to their obvious skill, but for various reasons never achieved the status they could have or should have..(ie due to injury early on, wrong team and not enough playing time etc)

For instance i have always been a huge fan of LaPhonso Ellis, they guy had one of the sweetest shooting touches and could jump like a demon, but his knees couldn't carry him. Even coming back from a few shortened seasons due to knee injury he came back and straight away began avging 20 plus points a game. One of a few rookies to almost avg a double double in his first season.

Opinions would be welcomed and appreciated....

I loved LaPhonso Ellis as a kid :) Always wondered what happened to him...now I know. Thanks!

2 always jump to mind for me, and it's purely because of their F'ed up attitudes and it ****s me.
Shawn Kemp, cause once he got his fat paycheck he decided he was done and became a fat moron wasting his skill/talent. Sure he achieved some things, but could have been so much more.
And Derrick Coleman. He was always touted as 'a future Hall of Famer...if he wanted to'. However he never wanted to be anything more than good, and so he wasted away.

Shawn Kemp really came into his own for a couple of seasons there, and then turned didn't he. He was going to be the saviour of seattle with payton running the show, good times, good times

Shawn Kemp really came into his own for a couple of seasons there, and then turned didn't he. He was going to be the saviour of seattle with payton running the show, good times, good times

Yeah he was a beast for a couple of seasons with Payton there! Then my did he fall as he didn't want to work anymore...

Hey do you remember LaPhonso's block, i think it was the number one block for 1994. I think that sticks in my mind the most,

What about Jimmy Jackson, great player, bit of a head case

Danny Manning clearly.

Kevin McHale. OK some of you might throw the whole HOF and greatest 50 player etc at me BUT this guy was unstoppable both defensively and down on the post.

YET he clearly coasted thru tons of games and never played to his potential if he had of showed the commitment that Bird asked of his teamates at times. Bird has let rip at Kev in many of his books about McHales drive and how it infruriated him and his teamates.

McHale was just scary at times......and thats the point..at times..

Also with fear of Jordan fans dare I say Sam Bowie...

Hey do you remember LaPhonso's block, i think it was the number one block for 1994. I think that sticks in my mind the most,

Yeah I liked Jimmy too :) He kicked around a bit still and was always solid.

I don't think I ever saw any footage of Ellis, I was only 10-12 during that time ;)

Danny Manning clearly.

Kevin McHale. OK some of you might throw the whole HOF and greatest 50 player etc at me BUT this guy was unstoppable both defensively and down on the post.

YET he clearly coasted thru tons of games and never played to his potential if he had of showed the commitment that Bird asked of his teamates at times. Bird has let rip at Kev in many of his books about McHales drive and how it infruriated him and his teamates.

McHale was just scary at times......and thats the point..at times..

Also with fear of Jordan fans dare I say Sam Bowie...

I reckon that is probably one of the only honest opinions i have heard a fan say of mchale. Pretty true i reckon though. Good call on Manning as well.

I think I know the one your talking about, he blocks a dunk attempt with one hand and cups it as he comes down with it so the ball never touches the ground. It's sweet.

Mmm...for me, the couple of newer school people that didn't seem to leave up to the hype was Derek Anderson (was supposed to be yet another coming of Jordan) and Ron Mercer but they've both faded into obscurity.

Mmm...for me, the couple of newer school people that didn't seem to leave up to the hype was Derek Anderson (was supposed to be yet another coming of Jordan) and Ron Mercer but they've both faded into obscurity.

Both from the same draft class to:).

Anderson was never gonna to get anywhere in Cleveland. Since they really only had a cubby and overweight Kemp and some guy named Z who was routiney injured.

Dajuan Wagner...scored 100 pts in highschool touted as the next A.I.
Jay Williams...prematurely ended career by a freak motorcycle accident
Darius Miles...second coming of KG.

we're all forgetting the big one....

what about Earl 'the Goat' Manigoat?? ;) the guy from the movie based on a true story 'Rebound'!! could pull a $ bill from the top of a backboard!! :blink:

Damn drugs!!!! :(

Back
Top Bottom