State of Origin I

Oh Man. As a Blues supporter I was laughing at half time. I could not believe. For a year near i've been thinking, nah they will never blow a lead again.

20 minutes into the 2nd half I literally could have thrown up. I couldn't believe it.

As much as I love individual players and respect great acts on the field from any team, Jonathon Thurstan is really starting to s**t me ;)

Where do we start to disect the poor Blues performance(i'm a blues fan in QLD. I need someone to discuss this with :))

1. Losing White & Mason - These guys where the only ones making decent yardage for us...

2. Making 30m each set of six while Qld easily made 40-50. Just no go forward...Buderus tried from dummy half, even Matty King had a hit up each set...just didn't make the metres in the forwards we should have...O'Merley?

3. Mullen's poor kicking game (yes he had a close 40-20 but every kick off, the first Qld tackle was on the 20. When Lockyer kicks off the first Blues tackle is on the 5 or 10m line. Every other kick (same for Anasta) went stright down the throght of Inglis or Hunt who then started their set on the 30 or 40m line. Just not enough distance or placement. I mean, Mullen wasn't horrible, just average I guess. I would have prefered Michael Monagahn to get a run to be honest. Or Anasat/Gidley in the halves. But he tried hard to his credit.

4. The attacking danger of Qld when in 20-30m from the line. They just ALWAYS look like scoring from first to last play of the game. They are just so dangerous. I get scared when Thurston gets the ball close to the line. Plus they gave him soooooo much space. Thats why he could send pin point kicks.

5. NSW's 5th tackle options. Some really poor discision making on the part of Anasta & Mullen. Especially kicking. The QLD backs cover such a wide expanse that you have to be perfect with kicking or have plans in place. You can't just punt it and hope.

6. Finally, the Passion lads. Where is it. 18-6 up at half time. It's dead set true that Qld have more passion when it comes to start of origin. Having a wally like Graham Murray coaching will do us no good. He has no passion for the Blues. Look at what happens when Fatty Vautin & Mal take over. For all his mouthing off, at least Phil Gould has passion for the Blues. They really need to find a new coach and i'm not sure if Bellamy is the answer either.

I could go on but I just need somewhere to vent.

Thanks,
Mark.

When you have Thurston and Lockyer together I think it is hard to work out what that combination would do to you. Imagine if both were in the same club. And you would have thought Graham Murray would have some thoughts on Thurstons playing style after coaching him for 2 years. I think the Blues did somewhat control the Thurston play in the first half but in the second he dominated from the word go..

I disagree, I don't think they had control of him at all!

He had soooo much time on that first try and then again at the end when he put a kick through. The Blues should have a hitman running at him on the 4th/5th tackles. Someone like Tupou who's reasonably quick to jump out of the line and take him out.

I shuddered everytime he got the ball because you just don't know what he's going to do. He's such a talent. And you're right, I can't believe Murray didn't expect this of him. Show's how little feeling Murray has for his Blue's coaching. Or maybe coaching in general???

Thing is Lockyer had such a quiet night, barely did anything except kick (and obviously be johnny on the spot for the try)...He can take a backseat when Thurston is playing and just inject when he wants....drives me insane (with jealousy probably)

Mark.

Thing is Lockyer had such a quiet night, barely did anything except kick (and obviously be johnny on the spot for the try)...He can take a backseat when Thurston is playing and just inject when he wants....drives me insane (with jealousy probably)

Listening to Lockyer after the match...his voice was pretty much gone...which begs the question did he go into the game less than 100% fit with a virus?? May explain why he was pretty quiet on the night...

Listening to Lockyer after the match...his voice was pretty much gone...which begs the question did he go into the game less than 100% fit with a virus?? May explain why he was pretty quiet on the night...

haha!! nah mate...you will find that that is how he always sounds!!

i believe it has something to do with a bone or a tendon or something that is pressing against his voice box!! it is something that can be operated on to fix, but he says it doesn't affect his communication on the field and would prefer to wait until he retires to get it fixed!!

credit to queensland they wanted to win and nsw chocked big time i think they were out muslced

plus they have joe inglis he is great played ok and still got 2 tries

Back
Top Bottom