Refractors from the 90's sets, peeled or unpeeled??!

jimboiitmac

miami pride
Real Name
King James
eBay User
jimboiitmac
Hey guys, as you know i'm collecting the 96/97 finest rookie refractors. At this time these cards still came with peels intact.. i was wondering, should i keep the peel on or take it off? Does it affect the rarity or value of the card?

Jimbo

A few trains of thought on that. While unpeeled ones are untouched the peel was designed to protect the cards in packs and therefore always meant to be peeled.

For grading most high end ones are peeled as the unpeeled ones carry more flaws and air bubbles etc.

I think it shouldn't effect price too much as long as the unpeeled one is scratch free. Unpeeled may fetch more but shouldn't command a huge premium.

the debate back in the day was to leave them unpeeled...Ive kept mine unpeeled...

but chad brings an interesting take, as grading etc wasnt as prevalent as it is now...so I had never thought of that....

i think its all about preference. what do you like better jimbo peeled or unpeeled. me i like unpeeled just cause its how they came from packs but then you also get what chad said

keep the peel on, i agree with ducky.

also if you want to sell it later on, there might be a buyer who wants only unpeeled refractors - you cant stick it back on! :p

Just another thought...is the peel eventually going to deteriorate or the gum/glue affect the card in the long-term??? As an example (and I know card manufacturing technology has developed since then!!) I've got the 1974 Fleer stickers and the stickers don't stick to the backing paper any more.

ahaha thanks for the input guys! I'm thinkin of takin it off though!! IT does provide an old-school look though.. although.. it's basically personal preference then right?

well jimbo, considering you change your collecting habits as often as you change your underwear, then Id suggest you keep it on, as more then most people wont buy peeled cards Id think...

if you want to peel some just get some commons and peel em, thats what I did LOL

Trey said:
well jimbo, considering you change your collecting habits as often as you change your underwear, then Id suggest you keep it on, as more then most people wont buy peeled cards Id think...
hehe trey said it, we were all thinking it :p

I like peeling them 'coz they simply look a lot better than unpeeled. If you want, you can collect 2 of each. Peel one set then leave the other set unpeeled... :D That's what I did with my grant hill rookie cards...;)

Continuing on what Chad said about peeled for grading , it only appears to be BGS who give a shit whether it is peeled or not. PSA will grade either and will not penalise like BGS for having the peel on.

I've got many a 70's topps sticker and they are fine. Maybe yours had been stored under the wrong conditons previously etc causing them to peel?

Although thats a great point. Who knows in 50 years?

no mavs, read my first post, it's my 96/97 rookie refractors, one of the best rookie classes ever. I already got some of the big dogs in Shareef, Iverson, Camby and Jermaine.. Need to get Marbury, Nash and Ray Allen as the other superstars and the big dog, Kobe.

after thinking about it, i will probably end up taking the peels off, because that way nobody has touched the cards underneath the peel except for me! Makes them feel much more mint and rare to me.. plus they look way better..

MavsMan© said:
Did Shawn Marion have 96-97 Refractors?

Are you serious???
:shock:

Marion was a rookie in 99/00 (same class as Brand, Francis, Maggette, Odom, Wally, Miller, Rip, Davis & Artest), not 96/97 (Allen, Koe, Abdur-Rahim, Walker, Camby, JO'Neal, Iverson, Marbury).

:cool:

jimboiitmac said:
no mavs, read my first post, it's my 96/97 rookie refractors, one of the best rookie classes ever. I already got some of the big dogs in Shareef, Iverson, Camby and Jermaine.. Need to get Marbury, Nash and Ray Allen as the other superstars and the big dog, Kobe.

Don't forget that Antoine Walker chump [-X

clarkescards said:
Are you serious???
:shock:

Marion was a rookie in 99/00 (same class as Brand, Francis, Maggette, Odom, Wally, Miller, Rip, Davis & Artest), not 96/97 (Allen, Koe, Abdur-Rahim, Walker, Camby, JO'Neal, Iverson, Marbury).

:cool:

thanks for that clarkes! filling people inn! ehhehe.. i never realised collecting a cheap/affordable set would be so cool. (And the top two BV cards are $350 and $100, so it's not really pov!). Hmmmm.. after i complete this one i'll check out the former NBA drafts to find another cool rookie class to collect.

Back
Top Bottom