Back in the hobby

pykie

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Chris
Hi All,

I had a epiphany a few weeks ago, rustling through a few boxes in a storage factory I have, uncovered 4-5 binders from 92-95 and instantly had a warm glow flow over me. Much to my horror though, it seems my parents might have turfed my Pokemon binder from circa 1999.....

Looking over my mainly basketball, but also AFL collection from those days, had me smiling from ear to ear.

Since then, I decided to do a big deep dive back into the hobby. I've had the most upbeat feeling since getting back into it, hard to explain....

Armed with a few hundredfresh top loaders and cardsavers, I've gone through my entire collection and picked out what I had researched deemed to have a bit of value. My two young kids have loved helping also.

As most of you would have experienced, a fair chunk aren't gradable, but still hold sentimental value.

Since then I've constantly been hawking ebay (my wife is going to kill me.... especially as I've gone two footed into it and bought a Lebron Rookie Refractor this morning....) and it seems the hobby is bigger than ever in the AFL space, which is great, as it's where I've got the most intimate knowledge.

I'm in Melbourne's South East, would love to connect with some like minded guys, best hobby shops etc (I love vintage cards obviously, but do like some of the modern collectable players and AFL stuff) and any regular meetups that might occur.

I'd especially love any types of meetups where a few others could have a look at some of the OG cards (I've louped them etc) to see their opinions on to grade or not to grade.

Cheers

Chris.

Welcome Chris!

Spewing about the Pokemon binder!!! Loving the purchase straight into a Lebron RC refractor though!

Tip - don't get caught up in the grading hype too much - the costs are still a bit high as well as most wait times to get them back - have a bit of fun with learning all the new stuff since you were last buying/selling/trading then get into grading. You might be able to grade a few things and sell them and put the $ towards your PC but for the most part you have to be pretty solid at picking cards to get graded to then be able to make money off them - at the moment we are in the midst of a junk slab era, much like what was the early 90's junk wax basketball era - if it's just to keep for yourself and you don't mind spending $40/card and waiting 3 or 4 months to get them back then go for it.

A lot of guys here use thehobbyaus for PSA, BGS, SGC grading here's the link

https://thehobby.com.au/

And also there's a meet up being organised for Oct which might be near you, check this out

https://www.ozcardtrader.com.au/threads/oct-trade-night-saturday-14th-october-7-30pm-start.239745/

Any more questions just ask away, maybe in the relevant section - should be someone to give some advice

Matt

Last edited:
Do most of you use a bulk submission service in Aus, or a USA based one, or go to PSA directly?

This weeks purchases, most of which are graded. But Im going to crack and attempt to cross grade....

No better way than jumping into the deep end!

1684304828117.png

1684305025930.png

1684305144752.png

1684304921152.png

1684305080361.png

1684305192628.png

1684305260090.png

welcome to the group Pykie
the AFL section can run a little hot and cold...yet comes alive and 🔥 around a new release time...jump on in, your comments will be welcomed.

welcome to the group Pykie
the AFL section can run a little hot and cold...yet comes alive and 🔥 around a new release time...jump on in, your comments will be welcomed.

As quite a big North fan (a painful one atm...), I think I will be buying a couple of the AFL Supremacy Boxes this year, as Sheezel and Wardlaw both look like being long termers.

Is there waiting lists for them at certain stores, as boxes are limited to under 2000? (Pricing per card in that box is steep though...)

As quite a big North fan (a painful one atm...), I think I will be buying a couple of the AFL Supremacy Boxes this year, as Sheezel and Wardlaw both look like being long termers.

Is there waiting lists for them at certain stores, as boxes are limited to under 2000? (Pricing per card in that box is steep though...)
North fan hey... ouch !!!
as for Supremacy, unless your in the 'select club' (you are guaranteed a box or 2) if not...take a number and get in line and prepare to punch on come 'drop day' it can get brutal and messy in just a few minutes..the days of walking up and getting a box easily, are gone.

Welcome Pykie from a fellow North fan and NBA collector.

No need to worry about the freezer treatment for the 1990 Fleer... those cards don't have any sticking issues as they weren't using a gloss on the cards back then!

Back
Top Bottom