Question for those Auto collectors out there

Kobe's Auto has evolved quite a lot over the years ,Brons rookie year ones from what I have seen were different depending on the series his sp authentic rookie was much shorter to his others

Kobe's Auto has evolved quite a lot over the years ,Brons rookie year ones from what I have seen were different depending on the series his sp authentic rookie was much shorter to his others

Hmmm, didn't pick it up that it was different by brand. I thought it was merely because of year to year that Bron changed

I'm somewhat lucky with the guys i collect, in that - for the most part - they're auto's haven't changed. Good example - Jalen Rose's Auto is still just as stylistic and beautiful as it always has been (jealous, as - being a fellow south-paw, my sig has always sloppy as). Patrick Ewing's auto hasn't changed at all (Sign's full name), Aldridge's has changed only minutely, Jeff Green's has hardly changed and Detlef Schrempf's hasn't changed either. The only guy who signs/signed regularly who's signature has changed is Garnett - but his sig was never that great stylistically anyway.

I'm somewhat lucky with the guys i collect, in that - for the most part - they're auto's haven't changed. Good example - Jalen Rose's Auto is still just as stylistic and beautiful as it always has been (jealous, as - being a fellow south-paw, my sig has always sloppy as). Patrick Ewing's auto hasn't changed at all (Sign's full name), Aldridge's has changed only minutely, Jeff Green's has hardly changed and Detlef Schrempf's hasn't changed either. The only guy who signs/signed regularly who's signature has changed is Garnett - but his sig was never that great stylistically anyway.

So in regards to that "consistency", would you spend more (regardless of what the card was worth) on the auto if it was stylistically better than usual.
Say Garnett for example - If you saw a full Kg smudge free sig of his, would you be likely to splash out more for it.

Like, KG's full auto?

s-l1600.jpg

So in regards to that "consistency", would you spend more (regardless of what the card was worth) on the auto if it was stylistically better than usual.
Say Garnett for example - If you saw a full Kg smudge free sig of his, would you be likely to splash out more for it.
Not really. An auto's an auto and i do understand that - for some people - they're signature changes over time. I know mine has.

(I know its abit off topic) But I think with auto's too it depends on the circumstances certain pairings or inscriptions (nicknames,awards etc) make a big difference.
I notice recent kobe & shaq auto's together carry a premium i think not only because of the championships but at a stage where they didnt get along :cautious: it always makes for a good story especially if certain players did not get along at a certain time in their career.
I'd love to see if anyone has some auto's of players who went at eachother on or even off the court that have signed together lol

Last edited:
Not really. An auto's an auto and i do understand that - for some people - they're signature changes over time. I know mine has.

Uuhhhhh, yeah, I guess its personal preference.

I'm still thinking, if i had a choice, especially forking out $$$$, Id rather a good auto than some aweful cut signature scribble (as an extreme comparison).

(I know its abit off topic) But I think with auto's too it depends on the circumstances certain pairings or inscriptions (nicknames,awards etc) make a big difference.
I notice recent kobe & shaq auto's together carry a premium i think not only because of the championships but at a stage where they didnt get along :cautious: it always makes for a good story especially if certain players did not get along at a certain time in their career.
I'd love to see if anyone has some auto's of players who went at eachother on or even off the court that have signed together lol

Oh yeah, certain pairings really fetch a premium.

Though, I cant recall that many players fighting with each other that ended up on cards together.

The only thing fresh in my head if Westbrook and Durant.

Oh yeah, certain pairings really fetch a premium.

Though, I cant recall that many players fighting with each other that ended up on cards together.

The only thing fresh in my head if Westbrook and Durant.
Yep Durant & Westbrook's a good one what about the big 3 in Boston KG PP & Ray have they signed together I know there is some bad blood there after Ray left

Im not sure if other have experienced this but I think signature fatigue is a big this. Ive worked in an office setting for the last 10 years and have had to sign documents the whole time and other the years noticed a dramatic change in my signature. I cant imagine the amount of signatures a high level pro athlete would have to sign, but aside from cards I am sure they sign a tonne of other stuff. I also assume that they dont necessarily understand the market or value we put into cards as well as signature quality, so they probably look at it more as a task of business transaction.

Im not sure if other have experienced this but I think signature fatigue is a big this. Ive worked in an office setting for the last 10 years and have had to sign documents the whole time and other the years noticed a dramatic change in my signature. I cant imagine the amount of signatures a high level pro athlete would have to sign, but aside from cards I am sure they sign a tonne of other stuff. I also assume that they dont necessarily understand the market or value we put into cards as well as signature quality, so they probably look at it more as a task of business transaction.
Totally agree the first say 50 signatures would be done well then as repetition sets in u might get a few sloppy ones in the bunch I'm not sure if they still do it now but with rc's the higher tier rookies would have say a have a 500 print run while the lower tiers could have more than double the print run

Totally agree the first say 50 signatures would be done well then as repetition sets in u might get a few sloppy ones in the bunch I'm not sure if they still do it now but with rc's the higher tier rookies would have say a have a 500 print run while the lower tiers could have more than double the print run

Yep, I have seen this in numerous sets and series I have collected. Expecially multiples I have gone after.

Card 1-2 can be dodgy, as they getting into the swing of things.

The end cards can sometimes be really really good at an end of a run print. Maybe they like "finnallyy, last one".

The other thing I notice is that the "pen" seems to run not as smoothly after numerous signs.
This sort of annoys me, as paying some hefty hefty coin for an auto patch card and its ruined by an aweful sig, and then, a pen thats running out.

Yep Durant & Westbrook's a good one what about the big 3 in Boston KG PP & Ray have they signed together I know there is some bad blood there after Ray left

Not sure.

I only collected KD during his Rookie year and sold most of them off now.

But his auto's were wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than the squiggle he now puts out

Card in question Mike if you don't mind me asking?

It was a Kyrie Auto Patch card that he signed his full name on, instead of the KO squiggling thing he does.

I was going to try for it, but it kept going higher and higher to even i wasn't going to shell out that much for it.
Might have to settle for a normal one later on one day

Damn Mike $700 over what you were prepared to pay is crazy, there must be a few people out there after a full kyrie auto huh?

Back
Top Bottom