Question for those Auto collectors out there

buyingstuffformikelee

Exq Auto Patches rule!
Real Name
Michael
eBay User
buyingstuffformikelee
Not sure if this is the right spot, but i think close enough.

In terms of your own (I guess) personal value, if you see a basketball player sign his auto differently on certain cards. Do you value this more?
For example, say he put sort of more effort into his auto and signed like his legit full name. Instead of say, a squiggle.

I find the change happens automatically over time also.

When you look at players RC auto's, they are so much nicer and fuller.

Hope that makes sense?

Kobe is also another.. Sometimes it's just "Kobe" other times it's both first name and surname.

Kobe is also another.. Sometimes it's just "Kobe" other times it's both first name and surname.
most of his panini stuff seems to be the full name, the older stuff seems to be the Kobe version

20170123_194801.jpg
20170126_150818.jpg

Bogut is a good example of our his sig has changed.

do I value more - not really, certainly the full sigs do hold more value

Yep, thats a good example.

How he signed his rookie year stuff, compared to his later year stuff.

Uuhhh, that was going to be my next question. Does it hold more value?
I thought it might do, as I have only seen it occur in a player i used to collect. He only ever signed his name on 1 card series

Uuhhh, that was going to be my next question. Does it hold more value?
I thought it might do, as I have only seen it occur in a player i used to collect. He only ever signed his name on 1 card series

i've not really seen it with cards, mainly the difference with in person autos. The difference in card signatures are usually time based, when they change their signatures, so i don't see a price difference as most of the sigs are all the same for that time period.

Yup, I really like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson's early rookie year autos, but later on he shortened it

IMG_4270.jpg
IMG_4271.jpg

Last edited:
i've not really seen it with cards, mainly the difference with in person autos. The difference in card signatures are usually time based, when they change their signatures, so i don't see a price difference as most of the sigs are all the same for that time period.

I'll show you want i mean, the player I had in mind when i was writing this was Steve Nash.

However, I was just browseing e-bay and got distracted by seeing another player sign differently to what he normaly does and it had me intrigued and even somewaht, interested to buy a card (as I don't own a card of his in my collection).

Steve Nash 04-05 Exquisite Limited Logos - 15 of 50.JPG
Steve Nash Premier Attractions - 13 of 15 Jersey Numbered!!!!.JPG

Yup, I really like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson's early rookie year autos, but later on he shortened it

IMG_4270.jpg
IMG_4271.jpg

Thats exactly what i mean, RC auto's appear that the players had more time (or more care) to auto more clearly etc

So a question for you, you obvioulsy like his earlier autos more. Do you pay more for them? (just forgetting that RC stuff is worth more so to speak), like would you pay more for an auto that is more fuller and nicer?

I'll show you want i mean, the player I had in mind when i was writing this was Steve Nash.

However, I was just browseing e-bay and got distracted by seeing another player sign differently to what he normaly does and it had me intrigued and even somewaht, interested to buy a card (as I don't own a card of his in my collection).

Steve Nash 04-05 Exquisite Limited Logos - 15 of 50.JPG
Steve Nash Premier Attractions - 13 of 15 Jersey Numbered!!!!.JPG

Had Nash in mind when reading your post...... would certainly pay more for a full signature.......a lot of Rookies start out signing well then once they have signed their first 10,000 cards they tend to shorten their signature or get one of their posse to sign for them instead.

Some of the Rookie Photo shoot signature cards are some of the best autos they sign.

As they go on in their career, they think of signing as more of a chore and really dont care too much about what/how they are signing.

Cheers
Matt

Had Nash in mind when reading your post...... would certainly pay more for a full signature.......a lot of Rookies start out signing well then once they have signed their first 10,000 cards they tend to shorten their signature or get one of their posse to sign for them instead.

Some of the Rookie Photo shoot signature cards are some of the best autos they sign.

As they go on in their career, they think of signing as more of a chore and really dont care too much about what/how they are signing.

Cheers
Matt

lol, great minds think alike.

Yeah, my immediate reaction was "to pay more" as well. But then again, i've been out ofthe hobby for so long and doing all this e-bay browseing etc got me thinking the difference between the RC or earlier auto's compared to auto's later on in there careers.
I completely forgot about the signing 10000 cards aspect as well.

Uhhh, the good old photoshoot. I remember those cards were really hot back in the day. Not even sure if they do them anymore?

lol, great minds think alike.

Yeah, my immediate reaction was "to pay more" as well. But then again, i've been out ofthe hobby for so long and doing all this e-bay browseing etc got me thinking the difference between the RC or earlier auto's compared to auto's later on in there careers.
I completely forgot about the signing 10000 cards aspect as well.

Uhhh, the good old photoshoot. I remember those cards were really hot back in the day. Not even sure if they do them anymore?

Most of the rookie stuff is signed at the photoshoot.... some on card, lots of stickers........then the later released get sent to the rookies to sign and send back to Panini.

Example....

s-l500.jpg

Now.....

s-l1600.jpg

Most of the rookie stuff is signed at the photoshoot.... some on card, lots of stickers........then the later released get sent to the rookies to sign and send back to Panini.

Example....

s-l500.jpg

Now.....

s-l1600.jpg

Oh gee whiz, thats a big big difference.

I'd so pay more just for the first auto than the 2nd.

The player i was thinking of buying a card of has done the exact same thing. All his current auto's on e-bay and like 2/3rds of that 2nd Lin auto.....

But on some of the rarer, lower numbered cards, he's signed like a full auto like that first card

Thats exactly what i mean, RC auto's appear that the players had more time (or more care) to auto more clearly etc

So a question for you, you obvioulsy like his earlier autos more. Do you pay more for them? (just forgetting that RC stuff is worth more so to speak), like would you pay more for an auto that is more fuller and nicer?
Yes, I would definitely pay more

The question I now have though -

Are you paying more because it is a full auto or because it is a rookie/rare auto?

eg. Kobe seems to have only signed the Kobe8 signature on upper deck items
According to beckett he has 832 Upper Deck autos and 1652 Panini autos - without taking into account print runs - obviously the Upper Deck ones are worth more as more rare.

The question I now have though -

Are you paying more because it is a full auto or because it is a rookie/rare auto?

eg. Kobe seems to have only signed the Kobe8 signature on upper deck items
According to beckett he has 832 Upper Deck autos and 1652 Panini autos - without taking into account print runs - obviously the Upper Deck ones are worth more as more rare.

The card/player i was looking at - its not a RC auto.
Its just cause the auto is simply full to be honest (amongst not having an auto of his), but yeah, its just cause of the auto more than anything that caught my eye.

I know rarity etc rookie year makes a huge baring on the cost of the card etc.
Was just very curious on what collectors on here thought. Like, i know we had when auto's are cut off the sticker etc
So, in reverse, if its a "rarer" fuller auto out there in the market, how do people feel on it.

Even LeBron James also changed his signature in his rookie year.

Back
Top Bottom