Pump and Dumps. No Place in this Hobby. Rant

crackberry

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Minh
I love this hobby and that's not going to change. But somethingnthat's has always really shhat me and it's worse now because the people doing it just have no shame

Heafy83 can give a better definition of this in the shares market context than me - "pump and dumps" drob50 I did not ask for your definition so pleaserefrain from toilet humour.

Pumps and dumps have no place in this hobby but it seems these types of lowlifes have migrated over to our beautiful hobby. And it has no place here because unlike the shares market a lot of people are not driven by greed.

By this I don't mean the people who pick players who they think will be good and then they become really good or get a bit of a linsanity effect due to a nice streak. That's prospecting or finding penny stocks and hoping for a payday. I think that's cool cos you haven't deceived or tried to manipulate anyone by doing this. And you get to upgrade your other PC or bank that money.

For a long time we've seen people claiming PC maildays with an attached for sale sign. I still get irrate by that. But nothing is as scummy as the pump and dumpers

These types post bombard random threads especially ones about a hot player or team with their message about certain players e.g. 'Knicks are running hot' thread.. " speaking of hot I just bought Blair card for $10, what a steal, Blair is going to be the next superstar - the next melo but better. Nba future looks bright"

A few days/weeks later they would post the 'PC' mailday and within that mail they would pump the player even more. "This guy is probably going to be better than Paul George. And we all saw how hot his cards have been. I wish I got on Paul George early, lucky I found Blair now and before everyone did" sometimes they post cards before they even have it... Why? Because they are selling other cards of the same player at the same time!

It's so obvious and it is so sad. But it seems these cats have no shame, and they keep on doing. And as stupid as it seems people do fall for it. All it takes is one new person to the community who is looking for a new player to collect and have no idea about prices. "Hey damn $15 blair card on ebay. Sweet. Melo and Paul George are sick. BIN! Before its too late"

End rant.

(Blair was an example. Obviously the most almighty of pumps can't help any spurs players)

I think the market is huge now.
If you fall for one guys opinion over your own common sense, well your not that bright.
Research tools are everywhere.
Doesn't mean your wrong.

Its different with the share market. Some 'pumps & dumps' are illegal and considered market manipulation. With a lot of smaller stocks there isn't much liquidity hence one person with a bit of money can push the price of a stock up quite easily. Others see it in the market, get excited, jump on as well and push the price up further. Then the original would sell into their buying and make a tidy profit. This used to be a common occurrence but is a lot harder these days as ASX/ASIC monitor it a lot better.

Then there is the old 'buy the rumour sell the fact' pump and dump. Where a rumour goes around the market about some big announcement to be made, people jump on, price goes up everyone is happy. Then the announcement is made and a wave of selling comes through.

A lot of parallels can be drawn from the share market and this hobby especially since ebay came in. The share market itself is almost like a complicated auction. Like the share market if you pump up a player and their price just to make cash then I agree with crackberry here and think its highly immoral. If you did that in the share market and got caught you'd be locked up for a while. Obviously its not illegal in this hobby a.) because there are no laws around it and b.) there is no central authority.

Like I said I agree with crackberry whole heartily here and wish it wasnt a part of the hobby. However it is and is unlikely to be stopped as the industry isn't large enough to warrant regulation and in the end is just a hobby after all.

Used to a get a lot of these guys over at beckett.... they don't seem to be around as much any more since certain people starting speaking out against it. Weren't me - i swear it!!!!!

just another example of the type of things we have to deal with.....hypebeasts to pinch a phrase from the shoe game... shame but a lot of people are in this for the $$$ and the investment....i swear to god i feel like b!tch slapping ppl who talk about cards as investments

It's what the hobby has been like for some time... there aren't that many true collectors anymore, just people wanting to make money.
im with u mate, as for me i see myself as a true collector, and cant stand some one trying to sqeeze a buck out of me for a card they no i must have lol.

yeh it's a shame cos I know it has always been here and it's here to stay. it just shhits me that flipping has evolved into something that belongs in a more cut-throat playing field

it's more of a generic rant. I don't like when people generalise, especially when it comes to nationalities etc. - but thankfully I haven't come across an Aussie member that does this!

i think i'm just getting old and grumpy. but i hate reading through a thread to enjoy a bit of bball banter and having to read these clowns chip with "Knicks have won 13 games straight. But Blair is Spurs future - I just bought his third and three quarters best rookie card for $10" I think that's the bit I hate the most about it. It has no relevance other than to pump!

Heafy83 cheers for your definition... and btw "The next SFR but better!" :thumbsup:

hairyangryfella - you're right there aren't many true collectors left, only people like slobbythegreat who are forced to be "true collectors" cos they made a the mistake of collecting Robin and no one would buy his garbage :p

puregreen5 haha! Or mjljoj23 on here. Been stealing all the Harklesses from me, bought one for $77 and was listed the next week for $70 with a $150 buyout after continously spruiking:

I got my perfect pair for $94.00! Harkless #15/15 and Harris #10/15!!! Can't wait for these cards!!! Its Harkless's first Prizm Rookie!!!

I paid almost that price for the Harkless, but then again, I feel that Harkless is and will be a better player. Kind of like Paul George, in 1-2 years. I'm glad I bought my Drummond RPA, for what I feel was a fair price! cheers, ryan

Even though it's cheaper than what he paid, I'll never buy a card off him. Doing the same with Tobias Harris.

Here he is at it again:

Thank you! He plays like a 20 year old Manu, not the Manu Ginobili of today/prime. I feel like Maurice Harkless (Magic), plays a lot like a Rookie year Paul George.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom