NRL Rumour Mill Thread (Spoilers/Game Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the bloke named for taking selling the footage of Pearce is apparently the wrong person. He has been forced to delete all social media, change mobile numbers and relocate house. He has or is going to commence legal proceedings against Channel 7 & Fairfax.

I wonder how all these people who threatened and abused him online feel now? They could easily find themselves part of any defamation proceedings or worse

So the bloke named for taking selling the footage of Pearce is apparently the wrong person. He has been forced to delete all social media, change mobile numbers and relocate house. He has or is going to commence legal proceedings against Channel 7 & Fairfax.

I wonder how all these people who threatened and abused him online feel now? They could easily find themselves part of any defamation proceedings or worse

Arsehats... Plenty of ex-nrl players getting on board to rubbish him.
He should go the whole lot of them.

They can't handle him (supposedly) doing it to Pearce, But they have absolutely no problem doing it to him.
Hypocrisy at its' best!!

I reckon it's still him. Channel 7 would surely not have put his head on the screen otherwise. Old Jack has been found out and is shitting himself so he comes out and says you have the wrong guy. I tell if i was this bloke and they got it wrong then the first thing i would of done was hightail it to channel 7 and get my head on tv telling everyone there had been a mistake, not just releasing a statement. Personally i reckon he is going for an even bigger payday from channel 7 and is getting one of his mates to take the fall for a large sum.

Even if it is him, it doesn't give the keyboard warriors any right to threaten him and is family.

Those cowards are no better than the mob that bashed that defenseless kid in the Druitt.

Ross

Look at it this way, if Mitch didn't put himself in that situation people wouldn't have anyone else to blame.

In his role in the community he has to maintain a behavioural standard which he clearly can't when he's on the grog.

My favourite line is always "the club is investigating the incident" which always really means "the club is looking how it and everyone involved can get this solved and forgotten about as quickly as possible." In this case let's ship Pearce overseas away from the media to a supposed alcohol clinic till it blows over a bit.

Look at it this way, if Mitch didn't put himself in that situation people wouldn't have anyone else to blame.

In his role in the community he has to maintain a behavioural standard which he clearly can't when he's on the grog.
He wasn't in a public venue and this video should not have been aired by the media. I don't care if it was Mitch or any player i would be saying the same thing. It was in a private residence and is therefore illegal to air.

The whole scenario makes for a very interesting discussion point regardless of where your loyalties lie.

From my perspective the first thing I would suggest is that Pearce needs to be held accountable for drinking himself to a point where he lost control. There have been suggestions that what he did was illegal (wilful damage, sexual assault) and I disagree with these opinions. What he did was vile and certainly below the standard that he should be conducting himself as a representative of the Sydney Roosters and NRL. I can not speak for others but I would be sacked no questions asked if I had done what Pearce did. He is off to the US now for rehab, he certainly needs it and I hope he gets well and tackles his demons but as long as the age old excuses aren't used to justify his behaviour and he is held accountable. The saddest thing for him will be his digital footprint left behind. When you google Pearce in the future you won't see that he had played 200+ top grade games, won a premiership etc but that he was involved in this incident.

I am not familiar with the laws in NSW regarding filming without permission and then distribution etc. Based purely on morals the perpetrator should never have done this and the grubby media should never have purchased and published it but in saying that more fault lies with Pearce for putting himself in that situation in the first place. In QLD you are allowed to record a conversation with another party in person as long as óne' person involved in that conversation is aware of the recording (this would be obviously be the persons doing the recording). I am not sure if this stretches to videoing also but it would only become illegal if the images were indecent.

As for the disgusting hate campaign against the alleged recorder it will be interesting to see what happens. If he has engaged a legal team the first thing I would imagine they would do is subpoena the original footage and all information associated with it. This should in turn identify the device used and the owner of that device. Some of things written against this bloke are quite disgusting and violent. I am sure you have all read them but I can tell you had this occurred in QLD everyone of those people posting such comments, threats and sharing his details could very well be prosecuted for stalking. There are also provisions for misuse of a carriage service under Commonwealth legislation which could apply. I doubt this would ever happen because it would not be possible to criminally prosecute all of these people but they might very well be named in a civil suit.

The whole scenario makes for a very interesting discussion point regardless of where your loyalties lie.

From my perspective the first thing I would suggest is that Pearce needs to be held accountable for drinking himself to a point where he lost control. There have been suggestions that what he did was illegal (wilful damage, sexual assault) and I disagree with these opinions. What he did was vile and certainly below the standard that he should be conducting himself as a representative of the Sydney Roosters and NRL. I can not speak for others but I would be sacked no questions asked if I had done what Pearce did. He is off to the US now for rehab, he certainly needs it and I hope he gets well and tackles his demons but as long as the age old excuses aren't used to justify his behaviour and he is held accountable. The saddest thing for him will be his digital footprint left behind. When you google Pearce in the future you won't see that he had played 200+ top grade games, won a premiership etc but that he was involved in this incident.

I am not familiar with the laws in NSW regarding filming without permission and then distribution etc. Based purely on morals the perpetrator should never have done this and the grubby media should never have purchased and published it but in saying that more fault lies with Pearce for putting himself in that situation in the first place. In QLD you are allowed to record a conversation with another party in person as long as óne' person involved in that conversation is aware of the recording (this would be obviously be the persons doing the recording). I am not sure if this stretches to videoing also but it would only become illegal if the images were indecent.

As for the disgusting hate campaign against the alleged recorder it will be interesting to see what happens. If he has engaged a legal team the first thing I would imagine they would do is subpoena the original footage and all information associated with it. This should in turn identify the device used and the owner of that device. Some of things written against this bloke are quite disgusting and violent. I am sure you have all read them but I can tell you had this occurred in QLD everyone of those people posting such comments, threats and sharing his details could very well be prosecuted for stalking. There are also provisions for misuse of a carriage service under Commonwealth legislation which could apply. I doubt this would ever happen because it would not be possible to criminally prosecute all of these people but they might very well be named in a civil suit.
http://www.northweststar.com.au/sto...deserve-to-have-his-contract-torn-up/#slide=1

The article uses a US matter as a precedent. As I said not familiar with the relevant law in NSW, the writer of the article seems to make it his opinion that the filming of Pearce was illegal rather than basing it on fact. It could very well be illegal and that is a separate issue as Pearce still needs to hold a level of accountability for his gross level of intoxication

The article uses a US matter as a precedent. As I said not familiar with the relevant law in NSW, the writer of the article seems to make it his opinion that the filming of Pearce was illegal rather than basing it on fact. It could very well be illegal and that is a separate issue as Pearce still needs to hold a level of accountability for his gross level of intoxication
Peter Fitzsimons is a pretty respected in the community so i am sure he would have had some advice on the legality of it.

Maybe used a US matter because it probably hasn't happened here before because it is an unaustralian thing to do.

Not a huge Fitzsimons fan but the article wasn't bad.

I imagine that there is still plenty of opinions to be had and facts to come out for this matter.

The most recent Carney incident wasn't too dissimilar and we know how things ended up there.

Not a huge Fitzsimons fan but the article wasn't bad.

I imagine that there is still plenty of opinions to be had and facts to come out for this matter.

The most recent Carney incident wasn't too dissimilar and we know how things ended up there.
I have the same opinion on Fitzsimons as well.

Unfortunately the Carney incident should not have seen the light of day either but that's just my view.

Rugby league players still have a right to privacy, as foolish as some may be and not in a public venue.

Just sick of hearing about players getting bashed by the media for little things yet you never hear of the good they do in the community.

Just sick of hearing about players getting bashed by the media for little things yet you never hear of the good they do in the community.

Unfortunately it's a minority that spoil it for those who genuinely do good in the community.

The reporting is over the top and some of the calls for life bans etc are ridiculous, however he has brought the game into disrepute, embarrassment to his family, pressure on his club and shame on himself.

I think stripping him of the captaincy, a 6-8 match ban, no rep honours (please) and a 50/50. $50K fine and 50 hours community service.

Let the footy begin so this gets dealt with and becomes fish and chip wrapping.

Ross

I have the same opinion on Fitzsimons as well.

Unfortunately the Carney incident should not have seen the light of day either but that's just my view.

Rugby league players still have a right to privacy, as foolish as some may be and not in a public venue.

You are right, everyone should be afforded a right to privacy but the sad fact of today's social media and technologically advanced society is that they are not.

All players are educated in social media awareness and I don't think anyone disagrees that this video or the Carney should have seen the light of day. The sad fact is they did and now those involved have to face the ramifications and the game is poorer for this kind of behavior.

Professional sports men and women need to do the right thing by the brand that supports them and if that means having less of a social life or knowing when to go home so be it, not a bad price to pay for $500,000 + per season, playing a game you live with mates and staying fit.

Lots of players have made bad mistakes in the past few seasons but appear to have learnt and are great role models now. Dugan springs to mind and I think Austin had a few issues also but he is fast becoming a monument to the image of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom