Make an offer..get rid of it i say..

Should we make for sale items have a price

• Agreed...no more make an offer items

Votes: 64 71.1%
  • Disagree..I can live with it.

Votes: 26 28.9%

• Total voters
I agree %100 half the time i dont even no what to offer and its frustraing all i want is the card/s none of this bullsh!t make me an offer!!

I voted no more offers but i have listed basketball cards on offer only because i dont know the BV for all the cards and most cards i purchase are from ebay auction lots and not purchased as a single unless it's an mj i would know the bv, an offer is my way of trying to find out what i can sell it for

why is it a buyers responsability to know what your card is worth?

it's such a waste of time, what's worse is asking to pm offers, so others don't
even know what the opinions of others are, so it's a little sly too, playing around like that when your dealing with fellow collectors in a forum, not just anyone.

if you set a price then that's different..

if you say ($40) then i assume it's $40
if you say ($40 ono) then i know where to start and I can pm an offer.
if you say (make an offer) then don't get upset if i don't know the value and offer you $5
but i bet if i offered you $60 for the card you wouldn't say no.

you see, the less I know about cards, the more chance i'm paying too much.
this is not how it should be for newbies entering the hobby or starting to trade online here, let's just be straight out, if you want heaps for your card then great, tell us how much and not waste time, if it's way too cheap, then you'll soon find out, i'm sure the highest bidder would give you a chance to rethink your price and not hold you to $10 for a $40 card just because you didn't know the price, too easy.

Looking at the poll, it's clear that people want a set amount showing for cards that are up for sale. Which doesn't surprise me, as over the years, I have seen so many people "not waste there time" in asking about prices or offers. Lazyness? Whom knows...

why is it a buyers responsability to know what your card is worth?

it's such a waste of time, what's worse is asking to pm offers, so others don't
even know what the opinions of others are, so it's a little sly too, playing around like that when your dealing with fellow collectors in a forum, not just anyone.

if you set a price then that's different..

if you say ($40) then i assume it's $40
if you say ($40 ono) then i know where to start and I can pm an offer.
if you say (make an offer) then don't get upset if i don't know the value and offer you $5
but i bet if i offered you $60 for the card you wouldn't say no.

you see, the less I know about cards, the more chance i'm paying too much.
this is not how it should be for newbies entering the hobby or starting to trade online here, let's just be straight out, if you want heaps for your card then great, tell us how much and not waste time, if it's way too cheap, then you'll soon find out, i'm sure the highest bidder would give you a chance to rethink your price and not hold you to $10 for a $40 card just because you didn't know the price, too easy.

THIS. Best explanation ever.

Thats exactly what people who say "make an offer" are waiting on. Someone who isnt sure about things, and just throws up any old price. Then, of course, if the price is low they say, "NO LOWBALLING!!!!! YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!!!!" Then when the price is too high they say, "WWWWHHHHHHHOOOOOO HHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

I bought a card off a member here without doing any real research on it, turns out I paid too much for it. Anyways, I liked the card so meh.

The next time I dealt with this guy, he says the old "make an offer" I replied with my NOW standard reply. "Dont make offers mate, if youve got a price in mind get back to me, cheers"

Then the tears came, "Oh I simply dont KNOW how much these cards would sell for, I simply have ABSOLUTLEY no idea, I just cant specify a price for you, I can ONLY accept offers on these, no set price :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:"

Long story short, over the course of probably a week and a half I went to the trouble of contacting other collectors overseas, getting them to join the site, give their opinions on how much the cards would roughly sell for. Then the seller turns around, puts them on ebay for an inflated BIN or best offer, it sold for not much more than I had offered. Then I get the PM ;

"Thanks for the lowball offers mate. Check out this ebay link for what I sold it for!!!!"

As its been said before, if you want "make an offer" there is ebay. They even have a section for it, "BUY IT NOW, or best offer" It opens up your sale to a BILLION more suckers.

If you want to sell a card you own, name your price. PEACE OUT!!!!!!!

THIS. Best explanation ever.

Thats exactly what people who say "make an offer" are waiting on. Someone who isnt sure about things, and just throws up any old price. Then, of course, if the price is low they say, "NO LOWBALLING!!!!! YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!!!!" Then when the price is too high they say, "WWWWHHHHHHHOOOOOO HHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

I bought a card off a member here without doing any real research on it, turns out I paid too much for it. Anyways, I liked the card so meh.

The next time I dealt with this guy, he says the old "make an offer" I replied with my NOW standard reply. "Dont make offers mate, if youve got a price in mind get back to me, cheers"

Then the tears came, "Oh I simply dont KNOW how much these cards would sell for, I simply have ABSOLUTLEY no idea, I just cant specify a price for you, I can ONLY accept offers on these, no set price :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:"

Long story short, over the course of probably a week and a half I went to the trouble of contacting other collectors overseas, getting them to join the site, give their opinions on how much the cards would roughly sell for. Then the seller turns around, puts them on ebay for an inflated BIN or best offer, it sold for not much more than I had offered. Then I get the PM ;

"Thanks for the lowball offers mate. Check out this ebay link for what I sold it for!!!!"

As its been said before, if you want "make an offer" there is ebay. They even have a section for it, "BUY IT NOW, or best offer" It opens up your sale to a BILLION more suckers.

If you want to sell a card you own, name your price. PEACE OUT!!!!!!!

Who's this guy? pls let me know...;)

Not all cards are listed on ebay.
Not all members know everything there is to know about cards.
If i dont know the bv do i ask every time i need to sell a card.

I have sold a card on this site not knowing the bv is $50 and i sold that card with another lot of 6 for $15dlvd but i dont care because it went to an honest member and i'm the one that listed the card price.

Not all members want to make a massive profit from selling.

Thought I would add to this thread......I recently bought a card with a "Make an Offer" sale which ended up in us negotiating on a price we were both happy with so I voted "I can live with it" :)

---------- Post added 13-02-2010 at 04:08 PM ----------

I think it is up to the seller.

But personally I just ignore any posts that say make an offer, mainly out of fear of sending what is perceived as a lowball offer.

Must admit I do worry about that too! I have done it an had to apologise for my ignorance :p

---------- Post added 13-02-2010 at 05:05 PM ----------

I have sold a card on this site not knowing the bv is $50 and i sold that card with another lot of 6 for $15dlvd but i dont care because it went to an honest member and i'm the one that listed the card price.

Have to agree with you there mate, The Beckett doesn't help with pricing cricket, AFL & NRL cards........I recently was asked for a price on a cricket card I have and I have no idea what it is worth. I did say do you have an offer and he also said he didn't know what it was worth so we are going to ask the cricket mafia :)

Excellent story, supports the thread perfectly. You listed some cards at a sell price, someone bought them. Perfect :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Excellent story, supports the thread perfectly. You listed some cards at a sell price, someone bought them. Perfect :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yer i disagree... Just in this case the seller got ripped off not the buyer so that makes it ok. If he listed the cards at bv bet things would have been different

C'mon guys settle down...I am surprised there is so much vehement resistance to listing selling prices - after all if you want to sell it how hard can it be to list what you want for it? Who cares about trying to figure out what it is worth - what do you want???

If you don't know a price then either don't sell or put it on ebay with a 0.99c starting bid and let the open market decide!

The problem here is sellers are greedy and want top dollar. Either list a price on this site or put it on ebay. Hardly difficult I wouldn't have thought. Many of us choose to sell on here because we can avoid ebay fees and help out fellow collectors - if you are asking $150 and only manage to get $140 and are down in the dumps about it then to go ebay.

Listing something on this site and saying "Please PM me offers" is as if you are trying to run a silent auction through your private messages - I wouldn't have thought this is what the mods on this site were hoping for when they set this site up. First and foremost it is about helping fellow collectors, and also about exchanging information publicly, not by running a secret ballot with offers to people's PMs and trying to get rich off fellow members.

What I don't get is - 3 days after this has been posted (and today is my first day off) apparently we don't care.

Well we do care, and I agree. We have to work to implement this if we are going to do it, and controlling it creates more work for us. Not quite as simple as flicking the switch if that's the way we are going to go.

Thanks for the suggestion and everyones feedback. We will discuss it a bit further amongst ourselves and see what we can come up with.

GUYS...I Didnt set this thread up so you 2 can have a personal slanging match.
Please pm each other if you feel the need to continue..
much appreciated:thumbsup:

I voted a while ago in the poll to get rid of offers! I got smashed on here when I first started and sent "lowball" offers on nba cards that I had no idea of the value. Since then when it comes to offers, I have sent PMs asking what is the best price you can do. I have then had PMs saying accepting offers only. I have replied back saying, sorry mate I don't do offers and then almost instantly have had PMs back saying ok then $XXX is what I am after!

Well if you knew the sort of price you were after then list it! Admin has made it so that people can't make replies to FS threads with, shame about the sticker auto or I saw that sell for x amount of $ less on ebay recenlty etc etc etc so there is no excuse to not list a price in the thread other then the reasons people have already listed :)

Been 2 weeks now..

And what's your point?

I said it previously, and i'll say it again. Thanks for the suggestion. We'll take it on board and consider it. As far asi'm concerned it's not a high priority and I personally have a few more important things on right now. When I get some down time I have a list of thing i'd like to do and have added this to the list to look at it and possibly do something with it.

No worries....just remove the whole thread and if something comes out of it so be it..:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom