12 slam dunk titles and not much else mailday - Part 2

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Last mailday ended up in 2001 with the dunk title awarded to Desmond Mason.....

This mailday we'll be paying homage to Jason Richardson as the back to back dunk champ in 2002 and 2003 and little known Fred Jones who took th title home in 2004.

2002 and 2003 Dunk Champion - Jason Ricahrdson - surpisingly no other personal or team accoldaes other than an all-rookie team nod.

2002-03 Upper Deck MVP - Air Apparent - from the right era and quite simply quite an amazing looking card...

SCN_0461.jpg

2001-02 Topps Chrome - Fast & Furious - thought I had the refractor version, so this was obviously a mistake, nevertheless a colourful and blingy card always has pelnty of eye appeal. Plus the Warriros have always been knwon as a team to get up and down the court pretty quickly with some small ball lineups - so fast & furious seems to fit perfectly!
SCN_0470.jpg

2003-04 Fleer Focus - Home & Away /500 - Nice diecut and dual sided pics which is meant to emphasies the stats for that year when playing at hoem and away. Pretty hard cards to come across in decent condition so glad to have nabbed this copy.

SCN_0463.jpg

SCN_0464.jpg

2004-05 Skybox L.E. Artist Proof /50 - Love the use of the red coloured foil, espcially for the serial numering on the back. Looks classy.

SCN_0466.jpg

SCN_0467.jpg

2003-04 Fleer Patchworks - [Base] - Ruby - hard to find these in good condition given the significant use of black on the left hand side of the card for edges and corners. This version is dinged up a bit but still loks fantastic in hand, great pic and once again with the red foil. NOICE!

SCN_0468.jpg

SCN_0469.jpg

2004-05 Fleer Showcase Legacy Collection /125 - Definitely among the most beautiful cards ever produced, hard to say anything bad about it. Scans definitely don't do these cards any justice. . ...and check out the numbering, ebay 1/1 baby!

SCN_0462.jpg

SCN_0465.jpg

2004 Dunk Champion - Fred Jones - no other NBA team or personal accolades. However, as a side note, Jones won the title with his last attempt technically being a layup!

2005-06 Topps First Row Charity Stripe Silver /99 - has that same Paramount Dufex shimmer pattern going onwhich is rather hypnotic - soemthign different to look at.... Ironically the whole point of this card is to focus on FT% - which Fred was pretty good at apparently!

SCN_0421.jpg

2002-03 Fleer Showcase Legacy Collection Row 1 /100 - nice raised borders off of the card and gold stamping for the serial numbering on the reverse. Text also specifies that this was a a Rookie Legacy Collection which is nice. Again though, the dark borders wmeans these old copies are pretty easy to get dinged up and show corner / edge wear.

SCN_0420.jpg

2002-03 Topps Pristine Rookie Refractor Uncirculated /1899 - I'm a sucker for uncircualted cards, even though somewhat ironically the card would have changed hands several times - lol. Topps factory seal, refractor, rookie card, serial numbered and from one of the more under-rated products imo being Topps Pristine. Apologies for the sh*t scan...

SCN_0424.jpg

2002-03 Upper Deck Super Swatches / 200 - not much to say here other than this is an old school swatch and a bloody massive one at that. Nice team colours to boot with the notable pin stripes. Rookie year too btw, if that makes a difference.

SCN_0423.jpg

Finally what better way to wrap up this rather lacklustre mailday thread than with a card with both the 02, 03 and 04 slam dunk champs together on it.

2004-05 Upper Deck All-Star Weekend Authentics Double - with materials sriaght from the 2004 all-star weekend, in which of course Fred Jones took the title from Jason Richardson to prevent his three-peat.

SCN_0422.jpg

Well that's another lunch hour (or so) that has gone by so thanks for stopping by and having a look, comments most appreciated - and stay tuned for the last instalment being part 3!

Some great looking serial numbered cards there mate!

You're spot on about the Topps First Row there, I thought it was one of those kooky Dufex cards but then thought, wait, that was like Embiid RC year or thereabouts!

That Air apparent card is a beautiful design!

For sure, they did a really nice job on the background and highlighted with some simple textured silver foil. Great pic makes all the difference too, but again, that ain't no dunking pic, but at least J-Rich is airborne I suppose...

Some great looking serial numbered cards there mate!

You're spot on about the Topps First Row there, I thought it was one of those kooky Dufex cards but then thought, wait, that was like Embiid RC year or thereabouts!

Basically the exact same finish as Dufex which i actually kind of liked, I still have a SP gary Harris RC from that product so it constantly reminds me of the finish.....and of how far Gary Harris has fallen! He used to be the leading scorer on a Nuggets squad that had Jokic and Jamal Murray...

unreal chase theme!! and some great cards that dont get much love!!!
As the saying goes, "one man's trash is another man's treasure..." Nothing top tier to see here but always good to share the hobby love and what people are into collecting.

Back
Top Bottom