Is patch real or fake? Expert opinion needed.

Bruno

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Bruno
eBay User
brunokatherine
Hi guys,

I would appreciate everyone's input on this one.

I've recently received a patch basketball card and upon close inspection I noticed in the "patch window" of the card to be an empty space and also a couple of threads of the patch hanging. I immediately thought the patch was fake on the card.

The seller is obviously adamant that the patch is real and this can be common in cards. He appears to be an experienced and reputable seller so I made some enquiries;
- Called Upper Deck and also emailed with the image and in both occasions they've been unable to confirm or deny if the patch is authentic.
- I found a 2007 ebay listing of the exact same card (this is the year card was manufactured) and the patch looks the same.
- Seller told me the card was previously graded but I guess BGS doesn't grade authenticity, they would only grade condition.

I've made a claim with Paypal and it is currently being reviewed. I just find it hard to believe a reputable company like Upper Deck would put a patch which looks so "cheap" on an exquisite collection card.

exquisite patch close up.jpg

I'm very happy to keep this card if its a factory defect...but what do you guys think or suggest?? thanks.

exquisite patch close up.jpg

There is nothing wrong with this card, UD has always produced jersey/patch cards that are not the best looking, like not filling the entire window, with bits and pieces hanging... what you should look at is the colour of the patch, check if they match the colours of an official NBA jersey. I wouldn't put a claim through PayPal for this, it will just wait everybody's time. You will end up having to return the card via tracking which will cost a fortune.

Its hard to say, I've seen many miscut jerseys straight from packs like this. The threads hanging are normal in game worn pieces and IMO adds to the desirability of the card. As Brian Lee mentioned search for images of genuine game worn/player issued jerseys and compare the patch to the actual stitching/thread style/jersey material to see if it matches. You can usually tell the difference between a fake and authentic jersey with a bit of research.

Also regarding the case opening, you said yourself you found an image of the same card from 07 with the same patch so it's not really fair opening a case against the seller as there is no proof of any shenanigans on his behalf.

Personally I feel that patch is real as it looks true to some of the Lakers patches I have of Gary Payton from 03-04 season. I'd suggest just doing a little research in future before buying especially if you don't have much experience with patches/jerseys ;]

Hi Nick & Brian,

I really appreciate the feedback.

I have been collecting cards for some time and have also sold plenty, I wouldn't call myself a beginner but would also admit I am no expert either after all i'm just a private collector.

I have plenty of other patch cards and are all nicely intact so it was a huge surprise to me when I received this card. I had never encountered a patch this poorly applied...it looks terrible!! I think I would rather see a plain patch than one with breaks and colours but poorly cut and with a gap... lol. especially with the card being from THE EXQUISITE COLLECTION, you would think a $1000 card would be manufactured with better care. You guys should see the patch in person...

I did do some research before the Paypal claim and found numerous clips on Youtube and card forums with people warning "fake patches" on cards are on the rise and is becoming a real problem. There is a page on ebay which warns buyers about buying patches, 2 of the points mentioned are be ware of spaces in the patch window of the card and hanging threads from the patch used. So, i'm sure you all can understand my scepticism.

The fact this is a 2006/07 card and it was sold in 2007 could mean someone got the card straight from the pack, applied the fake patch and put it on the aftermarket immediately.. The current seller of the card may have purchased the card without realising the patch had been altered.

Don't get me wrong guys I am a very honest person and i've never cheated on anyone, just a regular guy here. This exercise has caused me a lot of hassle so im not doing this for fun, I just want to make sure the card is 100% authentic!! I may have to send this to BGS to grade authenticity... It will cost me money but if it means peace of mind i'm happy to pay for it, nothing worse than to pay top dollar for a fraudulent card.

I will be making up my mind shortly, in the meantime I do feel terrible for the current seller but what else can I do?!?

Thanks again for the input and happy to listen to anyone else's opinion.

Can you post a nice big and clear picture of the entire card? also any other related info, such as the numbering, brand, year etc.

by chance is that 06-07 ultimate patches ? as ive got a big al thats similar in the patch window, its pretty common with older upper deck cards :( ive even got a shaq jersey card the same lol haha

edit....ignore the ultimate thing helps to read lol my bad haha

Thanks for your efforts Brian, really appreciate it. Like I said I want this card and don't want to create any drama but just want to make sure it's real :) Card is Kobe Bryant 2006-07 Upper Deck Exquisite Autograph Patch 44/100. I think the listing is still in ebay under completed listings. Whether patch is real or fake, this is a real eye-opener for people buying patch cards - do your homework!!

exquite front.jpg

The patch is exactly the same as the ones in my Payton's from 03-04 Exquisite so the patch itself is from a genuine game worn/player issued jersey from that era of Lakers jerseys. As for sending it to Beckett there's no point because they don't authenticate the patch just the card so you'd know as much now as you would if it were graded.
What did the sellers picture look like in his auction? If the gap was evident in the pics he provided then I don't think you have a right to be asking for a refund. On the other hand if his pics are trying to cover it up then I'd have no issue with you making the claim based on card not as described.
I'm standing by my opinion that it is a real patch just a miscut from the factory.

Hi Bruno, I agree with the others on this one. I doubt it's a fake mainly for these reasons;

1. I have had numerous patch cards from UD, ones I pulled from packs myself with loose patches, and with patches where there is a large gap btwn the patch and the bordering of the patch window - not uncommon.
  2. The fact that you seen the card in 2007 with the same patch
  3. Why take the risk altering the patch on such an expensive card, you could easily damage it and lose all value on it
  4. And lastly, if you were altering the patch, wouldn't you use a better one?
Good luck and hope it puts your mind at ease.

Thank you all so much for your input. I like this card so I'm glad to hear the patch is common and appears to be real, to be honest I'd much rather hear it's common than a fake...definitely will be adding this one to my PC and probably be sleeping a little better tonight. haha! :thumbsup:

Looks fine to me. I've got a garnett patch here from 2006-07 Sweetshot (might be 2007-08) that is all white with a smidgeon of blue right at the very bottom of the window. It's Upper Deck...

Back
Top Bottom