How to get Fundamentally amazing handles?

jimboiitmac

miami pride
Real Name
King James
eBay User
jimboiitmac
Hey guys,

This is a question for those of you who have played rep or state bball before as i know we have some ex-australian legends here!!

I'm currently playing reps and i have pretty good handles right now. My left is amazing (i'm a lefty) and my right hand is quite strong too as i can finish and shoot off both sides. I'm not a bad dribbler, i play 10A's at school and captain the team, but i'm aiming to make 1sts at the end of this year and would really like to improve handles. So they're not just good, but they're like TOP STUFF!

Anyone know how to do this? Drills n Skills?

practice Jim, lol. keep repeating things over and over again and when you got it down, keep practicing. Try some new stuff, just create some nice handles and go from there

Can you pass and run the offense?

Can you play D?

I'd be concentrating on the real fundamentals Jim, rather than getting the "mad handles" together dude...

GL tho, sounds exciting for ya!!!

thanks guys- mavs, those things are up to scratch where they need to be right now. As i'm going for a PG job, concentrating on my jumpshot/scoring and dribbling right now.

I think there is a big difference between "sick handles" and just being able to effectively control the ball, keep being a threat and being able to get yourself out of trouble...and maybe a dribble move you can get separation and a shot off.

that being said, all the fancy moves dont mean shit, and usually dont help you get by your man. Ive played against dudes who get to the top of the key and bust some well practiced move, they dance away and once they have finished they are in the same spot and Im still standing there not reaching, just staying in front...they pick up the dribble and its all over 'em time.

Watch an NBA/NBL game and you'll know what a I mean when I say they barely dribble...over dribbling is almost as bad as overshooting. A pg usually just bring the ball down and passes, from then on the ball is usually passed and being move off the ball, not with it. If a team presses then you should pass anyway....you cant beat a press by yourself.

So for tips, work on protecting the ball, dont push off but strength in the shoulders and forearm help push pesky defenders. Know when to speed by...when a player reaches, he has changed his balance, so he cant move sideways...

dribble with your head up.

one of the best things to learn is how to pass off a dribble, with either hand, accurately....a lot of people cant throw a decent pass like that.

I do have one move...I saw it on one of those NBA tapes from the 90's...I think its walt frazier...he turns his back on his man...fakes to spin one way, but goes back the other way...it works and its simple.

Just take a ball everywhere you go Jimbo. Really I can say go hard at the practice but enjoy the game at your younger age.

Like already said. Dribble with your head up. The damn balls round so its going to come up directly in the direction you push it no matter what.

Footwork can't be stressed more. Get that dialed and take the least amount of steps in a move you can. You will always get there faster and easier.

Watch a defenders shoulders, feet lie and you can't see the ball or other players.

Concentrate on using both hands and being unpredictable with the ball. Not in a flashy way but just on your entry passes etc. Mixe it up with bounce passes, chest passes etc.

Learn and watch so you are not always as a PG throwing passes that are right on the mark. Part of your job is to lead teamates to the spot and passing into the lane where they should be.

As far as dribbling, work on dribbling circles and other drills with both hands etc but really concentrate on dribbling on the run. Too often i see the kids with decent dribble get into trouble because all they do is practice half court ball and get into all sorts of problems in the open court and in a trapping situation. You should be able to turn both ways off a reverse dribble otherwise that will get exploited. Trey is right too a pass is always quicker than a dribble, pass first dribble second.

Rember the easiest quickets way out of trouble is quite often the simplest route. Rep coaches look for 'good' fundamentals not flashy ball skills. You will cut the other players up over a full court 5 on 5 game with them.

With your shooting again I can't stress enough about your footwork. No use having a nice release if your feet are all wrong and you are constantly off balance. Work on your shot coming off the left off a player as well as the right. Get a routine where you have your feet set and it will come naturally after a while. You still need to be able to shoot off balance etc but knocking down the open jumper every time will endear you to rep coaches.

Don't shoot from too far out young man. It will alter your action. Work on the shot you are comfortable with without altering it. Practice shooting on the move and off the dribble more than just stand and shoot etc. AND use the damn glass. Its there for a reason, and your forwards will love you as any misses will more likely stay in the key area for them to snap up. Same thing can be said for getting good rotation on the ball for a soft shot.

Follow your shot if you can and not leave the open court open. Remember the longer you shoot from the longer the rebound.

Just keep at it Jimbo but don't take it too seriously yet mate. Its fun and you shouldn't put pressure on yourself.

Pratice your weaknesses, play your strengths ;-)

Good points Trey :)

Thanks Billy but its all up here (Chad points to his head) LOL

I am intersted but I'll PM ya.

I think one of the greatest tips I ever got was from a player I hated playing with...but what he said was right, and I think over the last few years its kept me well..

he said "Marty - stop ****ing shooting on the move - yeah you hit em, but ya shoot heaps better when your feet are set"...now I can bust a steve-nash-esque fadeaway if Im in desperate trouble...but Ive worked on getting my feet set as quick as possible, and if I get em set its usually money time! haha

thanks a lot to TREY and CHAD!! hehe.. this is what i meant by you old bball veterans having all the knowledge!! Anyone know of a workout that could help this? I've been doing the rep shooting workout and my shootings gone from about 30%-45% so that's good.

No worries Jimbo. You said 10'As??? So you are 8 1/2??? LOL

I used to just take about a thousand shots a day. Its all just repetitive motion. Dial your shot in with your action. If it goes in then just repeat the SAME action and it will go in. Not much too it. Its just getting the consistency in your action. Watch how the good players go about things. You learn more by playing with guys that are better than you and listen to your coach, especially the rep ones mostly.

Whats a marist school?

Back
Top Bottom