FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread * Spoilers*

I'm happy that I managed to pick 12 of the 16 teams who made it unfortunately my pick (Cote d'Ivoire) were rubbish. Go (second choice) Mexico!

Bit late for predictions but I am going for Argentina because I love watching Lionel Messi and they play like a team unlike Portugal (also Australia of course but they are out now, Tim Cahill one of the best socceroos ever in my opinion along with Mark Schwarzer). I think Argentina will win it.

Who would of thought Spain, England, Italy and Portugal were out in the group stage?
A few emerging good teams in World soccer: Colombia, Chile and Belgium.

Let's see what happens :)
I picked all of those teams you mentioned to fail. Look at the groups they were in (very strong)

/\/\ yeah, apart from portugal, i had the others bowing out early aswell.
not sure belgium have really done enough to be considered yet either. i still think theyll get done in the next round...
messi has been a pleasure to watch tho. really glad he stepped up this time.
nobody here rates kewell? when fit he was waaaay better than cahill.
and hows about muller? the dude is a machine. on track to annihilate the ronaldo (soon to be klose) record. could be the first player to win back to back golden boots aswell. should even get close to the matthaus appearance record. only 24 years old...

Last edited:
These were my predictions;
These will make knock-out stages;Group A Brazil, MexicoGroup B Netherlands, ChileGroup C Cote d'Ivoire, JapanGroup D Uruguay, Costa RicaGroup E Ecuador, FranceGroup F Argentina, NigeriaGroup G Ghana, USAGroup H Belgium, Algeria

These were my predictions;
These will make knock-out stages;Group A Brazil, MexicoGroup B Netherlands, ChileGroup C Cote d'Ivoire, JapanGroup D Uruguay, Costa RicaGroup E Ecuador, FranceGroup F Argentina, NigeriaGroup G Ghana, USAGroup H Belgium, Algeria

you didnt think the germans would make it?!? even if they werent one of the best teams about, theyve never not made it out of the group stages...

you didnt think the germans would make it?!? even if they werent one of the best teams about, theyve never not made it out of the group stages...

I always expected USA to qualify. Look how well the CONCACAF teams (except Honduras) have gone. They are all good teams. Mexico won Olympic Gold in London'12, Costa Rica cruised through qualifying and only narrowly lost to Uruguay in the play-offs for the last WC, USA have beaten everyone at some time or other (remember Spain in Confederations Cup'09?)

Ghana were the disappointment to me. I considered them the strongest team in Africa. They beat Egypt 6 v 1 to qualify

I always expected USA to qualify. Look how well the CONCACAF teams (except Honduras) have gone. They are all good teams. Mexico won Olympic Gold in London'12, Costa Rica cruised through qualifying and only narrowly lost to Uruguay in the play-offs for the last WC, USA have beaten everyone at some time or other (remember Spain in Confederations Cup'09?)

Ghana were the disappointment to me. I considered them the strongest team in Africa. They beat Egypt 6 v 1 to qualify

the US making it isnt that huge a suprise. theyre not a bad squad. and pretty much all the rest of your picks are what i went with aswell (group C the exception). was just very suprised you thought ghana would make it over germany?
yes ghana may be the best in africa, but its not like the germans have struggled in recent years? 2006: 3rd place, 2008: final, 2010: 3rd place, 2012: semi's. plus they play such nice football...

the US making it isnt that huge a suprise. theyre not a bad squad. and pretty much all the rest of your picks are what i went with aswell (group C the exception). was just very suprised you thought ghana would make it over germany?
yes ghana may be the best in africa, but its not like the germans have struggled in recent years? 2006: 3rd place, 2008: final, 2010: 3rd place, 2012: semi's. plus they play such nice football...

I can't believe I didn't pick Colombia! I decided that it was time for Germany to fail that's all, also Sweden scored 7 times against them in qualifying so I thought they might have a problem in defence. Personally I do not enjoy watching Germany play. A team that attacks them might be rewarded!

I can't believe I didn't pick Colombia! I decided that it was time for Germany to fail that's all, also Sweden scored 7 times against them in qualifying so I thought they might have a problem in defence. Personally I do not enjoy watching Germany play. A team that attacks them might be rewarded!

yeah, defense is our biggest weakness, but the attack is so good, its like brazil's teams in the past. if they let in three, they go and score four.
but germany and fail just dont go together in world cups. on average the 2nd most succesful team in history. never not qualified. played in more finals and semi's than anyone. only once have they failed to make the quarter finals. someday they might fail, but this is one of the best squads theyve had in a long time...suprising you dont like to watch them?
unrelated, something very rare is on the cards. a WC match between brazil and germany. the two most successful teams in history have only ever played each other once in a world cup match (EDIT: 2002 final). if they proceed theyll face each other in the semi's...

Last edited:
10469371_644326758979084_2804778539496573769_n.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, defense is our biggest weakness, but the attack is so good, its like brazil's teams in the past. if they let in three, they go and score four.
but germany and fail just dont go together in world cups. on average the 2nd most succesful team in history. never not qualified. played in more finals and semi's than anyone. only once have they failed to make the quarter finals. someday they might fail, but this is one of the best squads theyve had in a long time...suprising you dont like to watch them?
unrelated, something very rare is on the cards. a WC match between brazil and germany. the two most successful teams in history have only ever played each other once in a world cup match (2006 final). if they proceed theyll face each other in the semi's...

Euro 2000

My predictions for round 16 winners;
Brazil, Uruguay, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nigeria, Algeria, Argentina, USA

agree with all, apart from nigeria and the obvious one...im gonna lose alot of cash if algeria pull that one off.
are you serious or you just taking the p!ss?
out of interest, who do you think will win the whole thing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom