Dunk contestants announced

Glad to see Shanan Brown there, but why isnt D.Wade in it? I think hes a fantastic dunker. Think it should be Wade, LeBron, Shanan Brown and Robinson.

But would like to see Eric Gordon in it

This is beyond disappointing. Is it simply players not wanting to do anything and have a rest during ASW or teams or sponsors scared of injuries?

It was good enough for the marquee players in the league decades ago, what about now?

For Lebron the dunk comp is no different from the Cavs team offense, stagnant, give Bron the ball at the top of the key and just let him do his thing.

NEW YORK -- Defending champion Nate Robinson will return to the slam dunk contest, trying to become the first three-time winner.

The Knicks guard will be joined by Charlotte's Gerald Wallace and Lakers guard Shannon Brown. The fourth contestant will be determined by a dunk-off during halftime of the rookie game between the Clippers' Eric Gordon and Toronto rookie DeMar DeRozan.

It was a somewhat disappointing field announced Monday, since it didn't include LeBron James, who said during last year's event he was considering taking part Feb. 13 in Dallas.

The 5-foot-9 Robinson won his first title in 2006 and claimed it again last year, leaping over Dwight Howard for one dunk en route to beating the 2008 champion.

Frankly I thought marquee players didn't really participate in the dunk comp anymore cause it was only for 'the kids'...... so when Dwight went in it for the first time it kinda surprised me. Rarely do you see 'stars' in the comp.. :(

They're letting Shannon Dunk! :kick:

Seriously though, as above metioned, I got my hopes up like everyone did when LeBron announced he'd be there but tbh I always knew it wasn't gonna happen.

Nate defending his title, makes sence to have him there but seriously, it's getting old. Gerald Wallace has been there done that and although it's been awhile, I'm sure he can still entertain.

The Gordon/DeRozen dunk off, still undecided on this, guess I'll be decided after halftime of the Rook/Sophmore game if it was worth it and furthermore after the actual dunk comp if they go on and turn some heads.

All in all, I don't really care who is in it, so long as sideshow crap is absent and they go back to the basics and show us some nice creative dunks, without the superhero cliche's and crap we've seen already.

My advice for them would be to study the NCAA Dunk Comps of late, those guys are still doing it how it was done in the 90's and it's more entertaining than what we've been getting lately...

Yeah, I will say I'm disappointed Lebron isn't in there, especially considering he pretty much said he would be after last year's comp. But I can also see SOMEWHAT why he didn't go in. It sounded last year like he wanted to bring the comp back to the status of the OLD one's, where it was the best vs the best. If he had've gone up against Shannon Brown, Robinson, G-wall and whoever, he would've pretty much been in a no-win situation. If he wins, he beat 1 midget, 1 small bench-warmer, and a decent player in Wallace. If he had've LOST, (and lets face it, circus midget would probably get another 10 to 12 attempts to get a dunk that is mainly remarkable because of the size of the dunker...), he'd get laughed off the court. Now If you had LBJ, Wade, AI2, Rudy Gay, maybe VC or Kobe if they're still up to it, and one other young star, THAT'D be a comp worth winning, and wouldn't even be that bad coming second in and coming back for another try the year after.

They're letting Shannon Dunk! :kick:

Seriously though, as above metioned, I got my hopes up like everyone did when LeBron announced he'd be there but tbh I always knew it wasn't gonna happen.

Nate defending his title, makes sence to have him there but seriously, it's getting old. Gerald Wallace has been there done that and although it's been awhile, I'm sure he can still entertain.

The Gordon/DeRozen dunk off, still undecided on this, guess I'll be decided after halftime of the Rook/Sophmore game if it was worth it and furthermore after the actual dunk comp if they go on and turn some heads.

All in all, I don't really care who is in it, so long as sideshow crap is absent and they go back to the basics and show us some nice creative dunks, without the superhero cliche's and crap we've seen already.

My advice for them would be to study the NCAA Dunk Comps of late, those guys are still doing it how it was done in the 90's and it's more entertaining than what we've been getting lately...

Yeah, agreed. Keep the capes, stickers, and other props at home, and just show us DUNKS for crying out loud!

Love the dunkoff idea, not suprised by the disapointing lineup though, would've loved to see Sonny Weems compete...

I hated last year with that fricken sticker and cape.

Just watched some old stuff and enjoyed it much more. Just straight up creative dunks.

I am pretty excited to see Shanan Borwn though. He always seems to get nice dunks in games. Just watch one of his highlight reels

booooooooooooooooooooooooooo LeBron is a party pooper
ffs let ppl get some entertainment, lazy bum
said he was in it after last years, acting all tough and **** and now pulls out? what the hell, i been waitin since then to see him in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric Gordon? haven't seen much of his leaping, is it good?

Shannon Brown ftw I reckon then!
Dwight learnt his lesson letting that little turd Nate dunk over him last year I reckon, won't be doin that again lol!

The dunk off is the worst idea I've heard for this comp. If the participants have to show off the dunks BEFORE the dunk contest just to get in, what have they got left? And what is UP with the selection? Eric Gordon is as exciting as white bread.

I don't care if the stars aren't there. I've seen Kobe do it and once is enough. I doubt Lebron would have any interesting dunks. I like Gerald Wallace but I'll have to go with Shannon Brown to take this thing.

A load of bollocks, only 4 no-name players doing a few dunks, not my cup of tea. I would love to see it jazzed up a bit, why not have invites from other sports. I remember seeing I think it was emmitt smith in a college muck around dunking comp and he put up an awesome dunk.
Also what is this 4 players crap, they need to expand it out 8 contestants 4 marque players, 2 up and commers who get their spots in a dunk off, 1 "celebrity who can play and 1 invite from another sport.
I reckon it would add all the spice back to the dunk contest.

A load of bollocks, only 4 no-name players doing a few dunks, not my cup of tea. I would love to see it jazzed up a bit, why not have invites from other sports. I remember seeing I think it was emmitt smith in a college muck around dunking comp and he put up an awesome dunk.
Also what is this 4 players crap, they need to expand it out 8 contestants 4 marque players, 2 up and commers who get their spots in a dunk off, 1 "celebrity who can play and 1 invite from another sport.
I reckon it would add all the spice back to the dunk contest.

Sorry mate but I disagree with just about everything you said there, asides from bringing back 6 to 8 players like the 80's/90's. :v:

emmitt smith dunking the ball? how about our contract prevents you from doing stupid things that may injure yourself and cause you to spend extended periods of time on the injured list?

the dunk comp is ho hum really... good to see shannon brown there and i hope derozan gets in, he can really get up... id like the winner to come from one of those two

nate annoys me in the dunk comp now, been there too many times

Back
Top Bottom